Direct playback

Lee

3 hours ago, generiq said:

You're misreading, misunderstanding and making wrong assumptions. 

The test was to remove the receiver from the chain, and play through the TV, using the TV speakers. Then see if you have the same problem. 

And you said that you hadn't used ARC, but obviously you have. You need to disable ARC in the and receiver. 

You also didn't answer if you've checked for firmware updates. 

There's nothing wrong with Emby Theater.

I was a beta tester to the Windows phone app pal I've been using since it was mediabrowser. 

Whilst I do love the software I did prefer it when it could be configured with lav filters. Easier to tweak IMHO. I had a beelink mini pc that played fine until it went to mpv and electron and then that thrashed the arse off it.. 

I didn't use arc on my previous TV and amp so you are misreading and misunderstanding. 

This is a new amp & new TV for upgrade to 4k. I've got 7.1 I've tried stereo/7.1 and dolby for home theater in the audio settings the latter seeming to be the best. There used to be a switch in the Intel software for bitstreaming but I'll be damned if I can find it. I'll assume they've removed it... 🙄

Removing the amp from the system doesn't solve anything does it? Hence why I tried pc>tv>amp with passthrough. The TV doesn't have 7.1 dts HD ma so I can't check it. What do I do buy a new £500 amp because emby doesn't play nice with it? That makes no sense at all.. 

8 hours ago, Lee said:

This is wrong. How do I get sound out if the TV is connected to nothing? It was connected to the eARC TV out. The amp doesn't show as an option if its connected this way and vice versa. Much to my surprise it seems even worse if connected to the TV, I did think that would work but I'd lose dts HD ma.

1 hour ago, Lee said:

I was a beta tester to the Windows phone app pal I've been using since it was mediabrowser. 

Whilst I do love the software I did prefer it when it could be configured with lav filters. Easier to tweak IMHO. I had a beelink mini pc that played fine until it went to mpv and electron and then that thrashed the arse off it.. 

I didn't use arc on my previous TV and amp so you are misreading and misunderstanding. 

This is a new amp & new TV for upgrade to 4k. I've got 7.1 I've tried stereo/7.1 and dolby for home theater in the audio settings the latter seeming to be the best. There used to be a switch in the Intel software for bitstreaming but I'll be damned if I can find it. I'll assume they've removed it... 🙄

Removing the amp from the system doesn't solve anything does it? Hence why I tried pc>tv>amp with passthrough. The TV doesn't have 7.1 dts HD ma so I can't check it. What do I do buy a new £500 amp because emby doesn't play nice with it? That makes no sense at all.. 

This is confusing because you obviously had eARC setup and appear to still have it setup this way (pc>tv>amp) or similar which wasn't a test anyone asked to do.  Just PC>TV with no amp inline to see if you get audio. This is to see if things "work" correctly audio wise for the codec the TV itself support and to see if this issue could be pinpointed to the amp where something might need adjusting.

3 hours ago, cayars said:

This is confusing because you obviously had eARC setup and appear to still have it setup this way (pc>tv>amp) or similar which wasn't a test anyone asked to do.  Just PC>TV with no amp inline to see if you get audio. This is to see if things "work" correctly audio wise for the codec the TV itself support and to see if this issue could be pinpointed to the amp where something might need adjusting.

My set up is pc>amp>TV with passthrough enabled. 

I tried pc>tv>amp with eARC I assumed that is what was meant. 

I've tried every video oonfig in emby. 

Auto/ gpu-auto/ auto-d3d/ gpu-d3d 

Refresh rate switching/open gl & interpolation on and off in all different configs. 

The refresh rate switching seems to have a mind of its own it's either on or off. 

I have noticed if it's dxva the video plays 1080 if it's 1080. Otherwise regardless of size it shows 4k? Dunno if that is relavent seems it should be like it's not recognised the video type? 

Anyway I'll try get an mpv log when I get chance tomorrow.. 

Is your video card set to 4K or 1080 display?  Is set to 4K try setting your resolution to 1080 and see if these problems go away.

1 minute ago, cayars said:

Is your video card set to 4K or 1080 display?  Is set to 4K try setting your resolution to 1080 and see if these problems go away.

won't that cause the server to transcode 4k content down? (i have quite a lot of 4k films) which is why i upgraded..

17 minutes ago, cayars said:

i tried this setting the screen at 1080 doesn't help same issue. i'm off to bed i'll look at mpv logging tomorrow.

i just got a graphics driver update like 10 mins ago too and that didn't fix anything unfortunately...

generiq

None of that will have affect with this. As you haven't run the requested tests, a log is the only way forward. But I still think you've incorrectly configured your system. 

generiq

Out of curiosity, I tested your parameters on my system, which is very similar to yours, but I have a different GPU. It played without issue.

416396945_Refreshrate.thumb.png.01b2da2aa664ef5f450aa284cb8d72ef.png

2033712578_Refreshrate2.thumb.png.c12cfe9f1104352ad3dd8030b6fafca6.png

I do wonder why you're running your desktop at 30Hz, though. If anything, it should either be 29.97Hz or 59.94Hz. That way you won't have to worry about the frame timing being adjust after 3:2 pulldown. 3:2 pulldown is designed take 23Hz to 29.97Hz, and then it can just be doubled to 59.94Hz. By using 30Hz, the timing has to be refactored after pulldown. It's unnecessary, and will cause unwanted judder. And If you're using frame rate switching, having the desktop at 30Hz is redundant for video playback, and will cause the UI to judder.

I am wondering if your receiver might be shared with something else. If that's the case, there is a solution for that. 

19 hours ago, generiq said:

Out of curiosity, I tested your parameters on my system, which is very similar to yours, but I have a different GPU. It played without issue.

416396945_Refreshrate.thumb.png.01b2da2aa664ef5f450aa284cb8d72ef.png

2033712578_Refreshrate2.thumb.png.c12cfe9f1104352ad3dd8030b6fafca6.png

I do wonder why you're running your desktop at 30Hz, though. If anything, it should either be 29.97Hz or 59.94Hz. That way you won't have to worry about the frame timing being adjust after 3:2 pulldown. 3:2 pulldown is designed take 23Hz to 29.97Hz, and then it can just be doubled to 59.94Hz. By using 30Hz, the timing has to be refactored after pulldown. It's unnecessary, and will cause unwanted judder. And If you're using frame rate switching, having the desktop at 30Hz is redundant for video playback, and will cause the UI to judder.

I am wondering if your receiver might be shared with something else. If that's the case, there is a solution for that. 

Ok. So.

I've been a bit frustrated by this so apologies if i've come across a bit of an @r5e.

I'm open to suggestion if my config is wrong, that's why i'm here really. that config was working on my old set-up - isn't now.

my tv is at 29.97now, still the audio is a non-starter, for the record everything looks fine now and plays but with no audio. I have to skip back for the audio to kick in. once or twice for reasons unknown it's had a tantrum and i've had to change the audio if there were multiple tracks..

Anyways code is not my strong point (actually know zero apart from some ffmpeg stuff i've picked up )

so i tried an mpv log - no joy. I've clearly done something wrong but i don't know what.

I created the .conf as (all files) in notepad and put the log command with the path to the same folder but nothing happened.

Could you let me know what i've done wrong please?

Ta

mpv.conf

generiq
1 hour ago, Lee said:

Ok. So.

I've been a bit frustrated by this so apologies if i've come across a bit of an @r5e.

I'm open to suggestion if my config is wrong, that's why i'm here really. that config was working on my old set-up - isn't now.

my tv is at 29.97now, still the audio is a non-starter, for the record everything looks fine now and plays but with no audio. I have to skip back for the audio to kick in. once or twice for reasons unknown it's had a tantrum and i've had to change the audio if there were multiple tracks..

Anyways code is not my strong point (actually know zero apart from some ffmpeg stuff i've picked up )

so i tried an mpv log - no joy. I've clearly done something wrong but i don't know what.

I created the .conf as (all files) in notepad and put the log command with the path to the same folder but nothing happened.

Could you let me know what i've done wrong please?

Ta

mpv.conf 47 B · 0 downloads

All good. We all get frustrated.

Change the line in your mpv.conf, to this;

log-file="C:\Users\themi\AppData\Roaming\mpv\Theater_mpv_log.txt"

Then play the file and reproduce the issue, ONCE. And attach the log. I'll probably have you add things to test, but let's see what the log tells us, first.

1 hour ago, generiq said:

All good. We all get frustrated.

Change the line in your mpv.conf, to this;

Then play the file and reproduce the issue, ONCE. And attach the log. I'll probably have you add things to test, but let's see what the log tells us, first.

Thanks.

Log attached

Theater_mpv_log.txt

generiq

Ok, so that's what I expected. Somehow, it's losing your audio device.

[   1.140][v][cplayer] audio ready
[   1.140][d][cplayer] starting video playback
[   1.140][v][cplayer] starting audio playback
[   1.140][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Resume
[   1.140][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Reset
[   1.140][v][cplayer] playback restart complete @ 0.000000, audio=playing, video=playing
[   1.148][v][cplayer] Set property: pause=true -> 1
[   1.148][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Reset
[   1.388][v][ao/wasapi] OnDeviceStateChanged triggered on device {0.0.0.00000000}.{6fb71282-e900-4b6c-afa5-9b648c5279c4}: requesting ao reload
[   1.388][d][ao/wasapi] Uninit wasapi
[   1.388][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Reset
[   1.389][e][ao/wasapi] IAudioClient_Reset returned: A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001f)
[   1.389][d][ao/wasapi] Thread Reset
[   1.389][v][ao/wasapi] OnDefaultDeviceChanged triggered: requesting ao reload
[   1.397][v][ao/wasapi] OnPropertyValueChanged triggered on device {0.0.0.00000000}.{6fb71282-e900-4b6c-afa5-9b648c5279c4}
[   1.397][v][ao/wasapi] Changed property: {9c119480-ddc2-4954-a150-5bd240d454ad},1
[   1.397][v][ao/wasapi] OnPropertyValueChanged triggered on device {0.0.0.00000000}.{6fb71282-e900-4b6c-afa5-9b648c5279c4}
[   1.397][v][ao/wasapi] Changed property: {9c119480-ddc2-4954-a150-5bd240d454ad},2
[   2.400][d][ao/wasapi] Thread shutdown
[   2.400][d][ao/wasapi] Thread uninit done
[   2.400][d][ao/wasapi] Thread return
[   2.416][v][ao/wasapi] OnDeviceStateChanged triggered on device {0.0.0.00000000}.{6fb71282-e900-4b6c-afa5-9b648c5279c4}: requesting ao reload
[   2.417][v][ao/wasapi] OnDefaultDeviceChanged triggered: requesting ao reload
[   2.444][d][ao/wasapi] Uninit wasapi done

So let's try something. We'll tell mpv the exact device and give it exclusivity. So, your mpv.conf will look like this;

opengl-pbo=yes
hdr-compute-peak=no

audio-exclusive=yes
audio-stream-silence=yes
audio-device=wasapi/DENON-AVR (Intel(R) Display Audio)

This might actually be an issue I've experienced on a computer similar to yours, and I didn't find a fix for it. But today, there was a commit that may actually be a part of this issue. I've already built a new mpv from today's commit. If this doesn't work, maybe we'll try that.

And I have an idea why it stutters and drops frames when you don't switch the frame rate. I've added some stuff to test that, too. So try both ways.

Attach the log, if it doesn't work.

@Luke This commit might be the fix for this. As you can see in the log, you're setting pause.

[   1.148][v][cplayer] Set property: pause=true -> 1

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/3e28c8e983c01c9892f40da5afa2f2dff65c6c75

generiq

If it doesn't work, unzip the contents of the file I'm attaching, to this directory. It's the very latest version of mpv, with the latest ffmpeg. I built it right after that commit. (Overwrite the existing files)

C:\Users\themi\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\electronapp\libmpv\x64

libmpv.zip

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, generiq said:

If it doesn't work, unzip the contents of the file I'm attaching, to this directory. It's the very latest version of mpv, with the latest ffmpeg. I built it right after that commit. (Overwrite the existing files)

C:\Users\themi\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\electronapp\libmpv\x64

libmpv.zip 53.09 MB · 0 downloads

Would me not having the electronapp folder potentially be the issue? I've got nothing to overwrite - no=electronapp\libmpv\x64

I've created those sub-folders doesn't work. I'm going to uninstall emby theater and start fresh i think?

would you advise that??

generiq
2 minutes ago, Lee said:

Would me not having the electronapp folder potentially be the issue? I've got nothing to overwrite - no=electronapp\libmpv\x64

That's where libmpv is. So you must have that folder structure. Make sure you look in 'Emby-theater' and not 'Emby theater'.

generiq
Just now, Lee said:

I've created those sub-folders doesn't work. I'm going to uninstall emby theater and start fresh i think?

would you advise that??

Sure, try it. Just delete the whole folder and reinstall. 

1 minute ago, generiq said:

That's where libmpv is. So you must have that folder structure. Make sure you look in 'Emby-theater' and not 'Emby theater'.

i didn't. i did miss that hyphen first time around, but there was nothing in there? *there is now so i can't prove it!!

fresh install. haven't touched anything in audio, video all default.

playback works but uses dxva audio starts straight away but the picture looks a bit choppy. the folder structure you said doesn't seem to be present??

1 minute ago, generiq said:

Screenshot of folders?

? explained i think? i think you'd missed "system" in the folder structure for electronapp

generiq
Just now, Lee said:

? explained i think? i think you'd missed "system" in the folder structure for electronapp

Possibly. 

So give my suggestions a try.