Direct playback

Lee

Just got a LG oled. The app works well but there's the dts Problem with that. So I have a media pc that I used with the old TV. Playback on that is terrible. Jittery. Playback says Direct (Dxva) should it not say quicksync? I've a relatively new h265 enabled cpu/gpu bought specifically for that. Wondering if it's frame rate. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated 

Hi, what video card do you have and which client are you using on the media PC?

I'll try this. It was on auto last I looked.. 

It's a self built pc with a core i5 8500t

generiq

Changing the renderer is the biggest part of that. Electron and the libmpv renderer don't like each other, apparently most of all when using an Intel gpu. But change both settings. You won't see quicksync, it will use the Windows hardware acceleration mechanism (d3d11). Which will utilize whatever hardware you have. And if you want to use HDR passthrough, you'll also need the GPU renderer for that, and not use gpu-copy.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, generiq said:

Changing the renderer is the biggest part of that. Electron and the libmpv renderer don't like each other, apparently most of all when using an Intel gpu. But change both settings. You won't see quicksync, it will use the Windows hardware acceleration mechanism (d3d11). Which will utilize whatever hardware you have. And if you want to use HDR passthrough, you'll also need the GPU renderer for that, and not use gpu-copy.

It does d3d11. Thanks for this. Bit puzzled why I didn't have these issues with the previous TV mind I guess outputting at 4k has stressed the cpu too much 🤔

generiq

If it's HDR, you have to use the GPU renderer, with d3d11. If you try it with libmpv, electron will have a seizure and screw it up. Using the libmpv renderer will force mpv to use auto-copy, because electron will disallow mpv using the full  Windows hardware acceleration mechanism. So the rendering has to be processed through the system memory to get around it. And for 4k HDR stuff, it's much slower and pretty much gets in the way of mpv doing what it needs to do to make it work. 

Lee

Why isn't quicksync a choice for hardware acceleration? It's very well documented and works really well with ffmpeg. Just noticed another weird one as I play about with this. If I enable frame rate switching the audio disappears.. 🙄 *bitstreaming

On 08/07/2021 at 15:54, cayars said:

It's covered on Windows by d3d11.

Can you explain the bitstreaming issue? If I have the amp on auto it picks up the audio and plays it (dts/dts-ma/dd+etc) as soon as I enable frame rate switching it *loses the audio (nothing plays on starting a video) then when I skip forward audio starts but weirdly it can't seem to recognise the format (just says stereo) and sounds crap I have to manually assign the audio type via the amp remote 🙄

If I don't have frame rate switching it looks awful. *plays at 30fps 30hz

No I can't right now as we would need more info on the bitstreaming issue before we can figure out what's going on.

Been a while since I got logs. Are they from server or theater that I'll need.? 

generiq

Post screenshots of your audio and video settings. Also, a screenshot of your stats when this occurs.

If I play it without display switching its 30fps&30hz and stutters terribly. 

The audio either is blank or has only the top two lines like below with display rate on... 

If I skip back audio engages. But with refresh rate switching on my amp doesn't recognise the audio. This is eac3 (dolby) and it's playing as dts

20210712_003411.jpg

generiq

Does that video also have a dts track? If yes, I would suspect that when switching the refresh rate it's inadvertently trying play the other audio, and when you skip, it resets to the audio of your choice. You'd need an mpv log to see what's happening.

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Is it consistent?

Yes same on every video

3 hours ago, generiq said:

Does that video also have a dts track? If yes, I would suspect that when switching the refresh rate it's inadvertently trying play the other audio, and when you skip, it resets to the audio of your choice. You'd need an mpv log to see what's happening.

Only one audio track 

20210712_215829.jpg