4.6.0.50 broke seasons with non-standard episode naming

gokuz
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, gokuz said:

The underlying issue is 4.5.4.0 has it and latest does not.

So yea, even if you say this is a problem, the older version works. Therefore the new version should simply follow suit.

Right but the database has be reconfigure and as the saying goes just because it worked before does not mean it will always work.  New versions do not have to maintain support for something the is not support will not be a requirement for the devs.  Just because does not mean supported.

gokuz
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Right but the database has be reconfigure and as the saying goes just because it worked before does not mean it will always work.  New versions do not have to maintain support for something the is not support will not be a requirement for the devs.  Just because does not mean supported.

I feel you but if nfo is supported, folder naming can and should be supported together.

So, in your eyes, do the devs support nfo? If yes, folder name should be as well.

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, gokuz said:

So, in your eyes, do the devs support nfo? If yes, folder name should be as well.

Well that is question should provider metadata be honored or ignored.  In your case you expect it to be ignored.  There is no winning situations.  So when and if the dev ever does not feel like providing a workaround all I can say is it is not in the KB.

I believe Anime should be its own library as it is nothing but trouble.  As it is mostly on a user to maintain.

• Like 1

gokuz
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Well that is question should provider metadata be honored or ignored.  In your case you expect it to be ignored.  There is no winning situations.  So when and if the dev ever does not feel like providing a workaround all I can say is it is not in the KB.

I believe Anime should be its own library as it is nothing but trouble.  As it is mostly on a user to maintain.

Yup, i have Anime as a separate library as it should be. 

Anime must and always will need custom nfo and custom folder support.

If KB is an issue, maybe you can add an Anime section. I wouldn't mind giving you some pointers as i can say I'm well equipped with this, and can offer screenshots like you see in the thread.

Happy2Play

It is about what the devs are willing to officially support on whether documentation will happen.

If you could try 4.6.0.51+ on the beta channel that would be helpful. Thanks.

gokuz
48 minutes ago, Luke said:

If you could try 4.6.0.51+ on the beta channel that would be helpful. Thanks

Docker?

Happy2Play
25 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Docker?

builds are gradually posting.

@pwhodgesare you able to test this?

gokuz
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

builds are gradually posting.

@pwhodgesare you able to test this?

Thanks, I can only test through docker.

samuelqwe
11 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Thanks, I can only test through docker.

Docker version of 4.6.0.51 seems to be available now

• Thanks 1

samuelqwe
7 minutes ago, gokuz said:

If your Emby Server is running on an ARM based platform, then yes, that is the beta.

Edited by samuelqwe

gokuz
1 minute ago, samuelqwe said:

If your Emby Server is running on an ARM based platform, then yes, that is the beta.

Thanks

image.png.e4e26d7c3f145964b2a08d1e97adb393.png

@Luke

image.thumb.png.d0e486a3913adb2b45deb07d229670ac.png

There's an improvement! Books shows the correct episodes not [55] for every show as opposed to post #1

However, its still out of order.

gokuz
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

So everything is at least showing up?

If you're talking about episodes, yes every episode belongs to the correct seasons folder as seen in the screenshots above.

But the sorting issue is still there

pwhodges
8 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@pwhodgeslooks like you will have some testing to do when Luke's patch comes out also.

No matter how you look at it is a unsupported method that the dev will provide you with a solution this time.  Now be warned this may not be the case in the future.

So far, ...51 has restored episodes to my fake season folders - but all which have s00enn naming are now duplicated in the Specials folder!  And the season folder images are mostly (not all) being shown in the wrong aspect ratio (square instead of poster).

I know that what I am doing is "unsupported".  Well, get this: on TVDB none of the orders - air, dvd or absolute is remotely correct; none of them corresponds to the actual media, nor the story, nor the chronology.  This has arisen because the original adaptations of a run of books was split up between regular TV series, specials and OVAs, and theatrical films - oh, and a group of the books was described by the author as "the second season" (of the story), which became the title of a TV season which was not the second one, but this confused TVDB terribly. 

I want to present these as a sequence corresponding to the books and DVDs, but TVDB doesn't enable me to do that.  I don't know why they feel they have to present (and lock in place against corrections) a "DVD order" which is not remotely the order of the DVDs.  What am I "supposed" to do?  Accept that someone who clearly has no idea should determine how I view this series?  Put it in a home movies library and write metadata manually for 115 episodes?  I can't update TVDB because they have locked this series.  My unsupported use of Emby worked until now - I have always accepted it could break, but right now I'm struggling to find a practical alternative.

I guess I'll see if the Anime plugin offers a better alternative - it has been worse than TVDB on every occasion I've tried it in the past, though.  I'll need to restrict it to a test library to avoid letting it contaminate the rest of my anime library.

Paul

pwhodges

BTW, in ...51 my Legend of Korra has remained in order as I left it:

korra.thumb.jpg.53f1dd9d81e39025201e5a679a90f3c9.jpg

But the episodes which I put in the "Republic City Hustle" folder, while still there, are now (as I said above) duplicated in the "Specials" folder.

Paul

@pwhodges From you knowledge is there any provider with an API that get's Anime correct?
How about any tool like TinyMediaManager that could be used for Anime?

7 hours ago, pwhodges said:

BTW, in ...51 my Legend of Korra has remained in order as I left it:

korra.thumb.jpg.53f1dd9d81e39025201e5a679a90f3c9.jpg

But the episodes which I put in the "Republic City Hustle" folder, while still there, are now (as I said above) duplicated in the "Specials" folder.

Paul

Does your specials folder have season number 0 assigned? Do both of them have that or neither?

pwhodges

@LukeIn the case of Avatar, The Legend of Korra, "Specials - Republic City Hustle" (where the files are) has no season number and "Specials" has season "0".  Those are both the names of the actual folders.

In the case of the Monogatari series, the "Specials" folder has season "0", and the folders from which the episodes are duplicated are fake season folders, like the folder called "Season 12 Kizumonogatari", which has season "12".  The files in that folder have names like "s00e02 Kizumonogatari - 01 Tekketsu-hen .mkv" - they are given the "correct" metadata from TVDB, and current show both in the folder where they are stored (which I want) and also in the Specials folder (which I don't).  The specials folder already exists, because it has other stuff in it which is meant to be there.

Paul

pwhodges
6 hours ago, cayars said:

@pwhodges From you knowledge is there any provider with an API that get's Anime correct?
How about any tool like TinyMediaManager that could be used for Anime?

The Anime information providers used by Emby are hopeless for this.  It's very hard to find what naming scheme any of them will recognise, and in this particular case they divide the Monogatari series up into multiple series (but no more sensibly than TVDB) - they don't appear to handle the concept of seasons much, if at all. 

The first season: "Bakemonogatari" is problematic because only the first twelve episodes were broadcast, breaking off in the middle of a story arc - the last three were OVAs released online (this happened also with a series called Wolf's Rain).  TVDB numbers the episodes together, but the anime providers list the last three episodes separately, with the problems that this causes is finding their metadata.

I have spent a while with a test library with just the Monogatari series, changing the naming various ways to try to get the anime providers to fill them in usefully, but quite simply, they don't.  So the Anime plugin is going again, just like each previous time I've tried it.

I've not tried any of the file-naming tools. I've got the installers for several sitting around - but I have no problem just naming files anyway, so I'm not sure what I'd gain from them.

In my experience TVDB is the database which does anime most consistently, and I have almost no problems with it - just the really hard series like Monogatari and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.  The ability to use non-standard season folders in Emby makes both of these series presentable, certainly as good as I'd expect at all, so restoring the previous behaviour is really, really appreciated.

Paul

Please try 4.6.0.52 and see if it helps with the ordering. Thanks 

gokuz
56 minutes ago, Luke said:

Please try 4.6.0.52 and see if it helps with the ordering. Thanks 

image.png.ece226aff9a6915101e7792637f65c83.png

image.thumb.png.e3aba6057f3d5cbad7d0e5110f3ee7be.png

image.thumb.png.dcfb1777595f304bc7dfe16552477171.png

image.thumb.png.ed8d13f2467d401f774983093c269b10.png

Amazing! Its Fixed!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.

We will have a 4.6.1 stable release out today that includes these changes.