4.6.0.50 broke seasons with non-standard episode naming

gokuz
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

gokuz
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

But a dev can not break something that was never supported, as already said just because it works does not mean any future update will not break it.  And more database logic would appear to be the case here (just my guess).

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

No previous versions of Emby ever supported this.  Again just because it may have worked does not mean it is supported. Put another way, you got lucky before, but it technically should not have worked.

Our supported naming conventions for TV is clearly documented here
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

We have similar documentation for other library types as well in our knowledge base.

It's not that we try to make life hard for users but we need to be able to take your file names and layout and make sense of it and be able to look this up at the meta-data providers to get back information.

Isn't it easier to look at what the devs did and fix it?

Even though its lucky or whatever, its still using the KODI nfo convention no? Why trash KODI nfo support after all these years?

Just now, gokuz said:

Isn't it easier to look at what the devs did and fix it?

No, because there is nothing to fix. Emby works exactly how it's SUPPOSE to work.

There are many utilities you can download that would make quick work of renaming your folders and files correctly.  Filebot is just one of these utils.

Between 4.5 and 4.6 nothing really changed in relation to tv scanning, but in general, you're asking for trouble if you're not following TV naming guidelines that have been linked to above.

gokuz
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Between 4.5 and 4.6 nothing really changed in relation to tv scanning, but in general, you're asking for trouble if you're not following TV naming guidelines that have been linked to above.

To be honest if nothing changed, I wouldn't have any problem would I.

If you said nothing changed, it gives me a bit of hope along the way you did something to break this.

Clearly something changed.

Edited by gokuz

gokuz
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

No, because there is nothing to fix. Emby works exactly how it's SUPPOSE to work.

There are many utilities you can download that would make quick work of renaming your folders and files correctly.  Filebot is just one of these utils.

Any layman with a keyboard/mouse can do filebot, The problem like i said again and again that didn't enter your head is the Seasons.

Here another example just for you,

Dragon Ball TVDB,

image.png.5151a5bd20d50ba95dbab31fc20041d3.png

VS

image.thumb.png.8328da5f3e7a3277477f5570b8de9fbd.png

Without Googling, from TVDB alone, can you let me know which episode does 22nd Tenkaichi starts?

You can't tell but I could ask the same about any TV Show.  For example what season of "The Big Bang Theory" does episode "The Hot Troll Deviation" belong to?

No one would know without doing a search for it.

It's pretty clear looking at your pic above you've spent time changing the name of things from the proper "Season X" folder support.

You yourself are showing the meta-data provider with 6 seasons yet you've changed this to 8 seasons? How are they supposed to correlate?

gokuz
25 minutes ago, cayars said:

You yourself are showing the meta-data provider with 6 seasons yet you've changed this to 8 seasons? How are they supposed to correlate?

Exactly, TVDB is flawed for Anime. You will get lost in them. Just look at how TVDB splits their Seasons. Its illogical at best.

25 minutes ago, cayars said:

For example what season of "The Big Bang Theory" does episode "The Hot Troll Deviation" belong to?

Once and for all. This is for Anime ONLY.

Edit: you didn't answer my question.

Without Googling, from TVDB alone, can you let me know which episode does 22nd Tenkaichi starts?

Edited by gokuz

Doesn't matter if it's Anime or not.  TVDB is showing 6 seasons and that's the "official" way you're going to need to layout your files.
Technically it depends on what providers and the order you have setup for that TV Library.

If you don't like the 6 season layout shown on TVDB report it to them.
Emby doesn't care but it needs to match what a meta-provider shows to pull back info automatically.

@pwhodges is a big Anime guy (I'm not) so maybe he can comment with tips and tricks he's found (or alternate meta provider plugins).

gokuz
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Doesn't matter if it's Anime or not.  TVDB is showing 6 seasons and that's the "official" way you're going to need to layout your files.
Technically it depends on what providers and the order you have setup for that TV Library.

If you don't like the 6 season layout shown on TVDB report it to them.
Emby doesn't care but it needs to match what a meta-provider shows to pull back info automatically.

@pwhodges is a big Anime guy (I'm not) so maybe he can comment with tips and tricks he's found (or alternate meta provider plugins).

If he's an anime guy, he would understand my predicament completely.

Still, are you a developer or just voicing out your sheep-ness to justify "we should just take what we can get". Seasons doesn't work for anime, period.

20 minutes ago, gokuz said:

If he's an anime guy, he would understand my predicament completely.

I get it. The same reason SSA/ASS subtitle support is important is for anime.

image.png

Doesn't that plugin do what you want? It says anime.

The issue is TVDB changed. The order you had before TVDB likely had and everything was all golden. Then somebody (or a group of somebodies) wanted TVDB to change it to be different. Then you get these fights where one side wants this the other that. Then you wind up having to pick sides. A new metadata provider might be key.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

gokuz
2 minutes ago, speechles said:

image.png

This doesn't solve the "Seasons" either. The only way to get Story Arc is using "Custom Folder" naming convention. 

Which 4.5.4.0 has but not 4.6.0.50. Clearly something broke. Please fix this emby devs. This is crucial.

gokuz
4 minutes ago, speechles said:

image.png

I give you the same question,

Dragon Ball TVDB,

image.png.5151a5bd20d50ba95dbab31fc20041d3.png

VS

image.thumb.png.8328da5f3e7a3277477f5570b8de9fbd.png

Without Googling, from TVDB alone, can you let me know which episode does 22nd Tenkaichi starts?

Keep in mind our layout guidelines are based on meta-data providers.  I can't see us changing this unless there is a provider that has this information presented a different way.

Our TV Library is based on using meta-data providers for this kind of information.

If you don't want automatic provider information using the folder/layout as shown at the provider you CAN setup a "Home videos & photos" library type and use it how you wish.

gokuz
Just now, cayars said:

Keep in mind our layout guidelines are based on meta-data providers.  I can't see us changing this unless there is a provider that has this information presented a different way.

Our TV Library is based on using meta-data providers for this kind of information.

If you don't want automatic provider information using the folder/layout as shown at the provider you CAN setup a "Home videos & photos" library type and use it how you wish.

I don't need any change honestly. Just revert back.

@gokuz Or the "Cell Saga" start of the contest where Cell enters in Dragon Ball Z. Which episode is that according to TVDB?

Believe me. Been there. It is a tedious chore to make notes where sagas and chapters start because TVDB chooses to put things "their way". But it is what it is. A mess. You cannot blame the messenger (Emby) for a fault of the metadata providers. You migrated versions of the server. This likely included DB migration. This might have made some of your old metadata get bashed. That is likely what is happening here.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

gokuz

@gokuz Or the "Cell Saga" start of the contest where Cell enters in Dragon Ball Z. Which episode is that according to TVDB?

Believe me. Been there. It is a tedious to make notes where sagas and chapters start because TVDB chooses to put things "their way". But it is what it is. A mess. You cannot blame the messenger (Emby) for a fault of the metadata providers. You migrated versions of the server. This likely included DB migration. This might have made some of your old metadata get bashed. That is likely what is happening here.

image.png.8a5097e1bfbddb808bf2bcfa68e0bdac.png

Like this you mean? Isn't it much easier this way rather than plain "Season 4"

As you can see from my first few posts, I'm using nfo for all my anime. Doesn't connect to tvdb servers whatsoever, it's all LOCAL scraping.

I'm not finding fault of what was not there originally. But 4.5.4.0 HAS IT, new update 4.6.0.50 don't.

I already have the solution here, just that emby is not working as it should (4.5.4.0)

gokuz
6 minutes ago, speechles said:

You migrated versions of the server. This likely included DB migration. This might have made some of your old metadata get bashed. That is likely what is happening here.

Also, I use docker so I just pull 4.5.4.0 and downgraded no problems.

If you move the entire DBZ series out of the Emby library paths. Scan library and move back in. Scan library.

You must scan library after moving out of path to delete old entries and make this a new item import. Then scan again after moving back to import.

Does it not pick up your NFO? It should default to that on initial import over the metadata from a provider. In absense of NFO it will use a provider. You are say it is not use your NFO on import?

Edited by speechles

gokuz

If you move the entire DBZ series out of the Emby library paths. Scan library and move back in. Scan library.

You must scan library after moving out of path to delete old entries and make this a new item import. Then scan again after moving back to import.

Does it not pick up your NFO? It should default to that on initial import over the metadata from a provider. In absense of NFO it will use a provider. You are say it is not use your NFO on import?

I tried deleting legend of korra and rescan only that folder specifically. It still showed the jumbled mess in post #1.

It does pick up the NFO but not the folder/seasons like it should in 4.5.4.0. All Books 1-4 shows 55 episodes in each of them (jumbled mess)

gokuz
5 minutes ago, speechles said:

In addition, I moved Legend of Korra to another folder entirely and made another separate FRESH library. It still shows post #1.

Something broke in 4.6.0.50

pwhodges
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@pwhodgesare you seeing issues with your similar media?

Arghh!  Yes; all broken.  I know this was OK only a couple of months ago, because each time I show others how I organise (in particular) the -Monogatari series, I check.  And now it's been broken for me.

Now, skimming the posts above I see a lot of "this is not how it's meant to work", and "we follow the metadata providers".  The plain fact is that there are situations where this simply won't do, because the metadata providers have got it wrong!  I have at least always acknowledged that what I do has been unsupported, but to be direct: I now have no simple way to present this series in the way it was written by the author or broadcast by the network, because the metadata providers have completely loused it up, and now they've locked it against changes.  

Basically, I want to see the episodes in the folders where I've put them.  Previously, if the folder name was not one of the specified supported names ("Season nn", "Specials" etc) then this happened.  I kept the file names in the form that got the correct metadata, so each section of the story had strange numbering, but that didn't matter.  So you might say "Use the folder view" - well, do you know what?, in folder view the files are reorganised by Emby just the same (in other words, it's not a folder view, like use to be the case for music)!

I think now the only way to get near to what I want is to make each of my 13 divisions into a separate "series" and then put them all into a collection.

An idea (which I doubt will happen).  As an extension (perhaps) of the facility to indicate that certain specials go in particular places in other seasons, what would do the job would be a field in the Emby metadata that simply said "When organising where to display this episode, think of it as SnnEnn rather than what the filename calls it".

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the collection idea right now - off to experiment...

Paul

gokuz
2 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Arghh!  Yes; all broken.  I know this was OK only a couple of months ago, because each time I show others how I organise (in particular) the -Monogatari series, I check.  And now it's been broken for me.

Now, skimming the posts above I see a lot of "this is not how it's meant to work", and "we follow the metadata providers".  The plain fact is that there are situations where this simply won't do, because the metadata providers have got it wrong!  I have at least always acknowledged that what I do has been unsupported, but to be direct: I now have no simple way to present this series in the way it was written by the author or broadcast by the network, because the metadata providers have completely loused it up, and now they've locked it against changes.  

Basically, I want to see the episodes in the folders where I've put them.  Previously, if the folder name was not one of the specified supported names ("Season nn", "Specials" etc) then this happened.  I kept the file names in the form that got the correct metadata, so each section of the story had strange numbering, but that didn't matter.  So you might say "Use the folder view" - well, do you know what?, in folder view the files are reorganised by Emby just the same (in other words, it's not a folder view, like use to be the case for music)!

I think now the only way to get near to what I want is to make each of my 13 divisions into a separate "series" and then put them all into a collection.

An idea (which I doubt will happen).  As an extension (perhaps) of the facility to indicate that certain specials go in particular places in other seasons, what would do the job would be a field in the Emby metadata that simply said "When organising where to display this episode, think of it as SnnEnn rather than what the filename calls it".

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the collection idea right now - off to experiment...

Paul

4.5.4.0 works great though. 

Devs gotta fix this.

pwhodges

I realised I'd given Emby a hard time, because I'd used Season folders named like "Season nn (BookName)", so Emby might now be confused that files had names that specified a different season from the folder.  OK; so I've renamed all the folders as "(a) BookName", down through the alphabet to "(o) BookName" (there are fifteen),  So far Emby has left the episodes in the folders where I've put them, but now the folders are not listed in sort order but listed in random order!  Even if I add a sort order item in the metadata.

Oh, and I can't give up and say I'll just put the episodes into Absolute order and have done with it, because TVDB says that 40 episodes (out of 108) are "unassigned".  Bear in mind they have locked this specifically to prevent changes to the absolute ordering (they say so).

Hmm.

Paul

gokuz
1 minute ago, pwhodges said:

I realised I'd given Emby a hard time, because I'd used Season folders named like "Season nn (BookName)", so Emby might now be confused that files had names that specified a different season from the folder.  OK; so I've renamed all the folders as "(a) BookName", down through the alphabet to "(o) BookName" (there are fifteen),  So far Emby has left the episodes in the folders where I've put them, but now the folders are not listed in sort order but listed in random order!  Even if I add a sort order item in the metadata.

Oh, and I can't give up and say I'll just put the episodes into Absolute order and have done with it, because TVDB says that 40 episodes (out of 108) are "unassigned".  Bear in mind they have locked this specifically to prevent changes to the absolute ordering (they say so).

Hmm.

Paul

Exactly my problem in post #1.

Mine looks worse having all the episodes in EVERY season.

If you use docker, pull 4.5.4.0 and test. Everything will be back to normal.