4.6.0.50 broke seasons with non-standard episode naming

gokuz
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

gokuz

image.thumb.png.8969be0737087bb1803c0c8b58f394a6.png

On 4.5.4.0 it sorted properly, Book 1>Book 4 with proper episodes inside of them.

Now with 4.6.0.50, it broke everything. Please fix.

Deathsquirrel

What is the library type?  That is not a valid TV library folder structure.

Happy2Play

If you click edit metadata on each of those seasons what do you see?

gokuz
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If you click edit metadata on each of those seasons what do you see?

image.thumb.png.318da7e45238dda90e9c23f72316b535.png

4 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

What is the library type?  That is not a valid TV library folder structure.

Like I said in the first post, it works on the previous version. Something they did broke this feature.

Happy2Play
Just now, gokuz said:

image.thumb.png.318da7e45238dda90e9c23f72316b535.png

Like I said in the first post, it works on the previous version. Something they did broke this feature.

And the season number in metadata?

4 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Hi.  If this ever worked in the past I'm very surprised because it does not fit any of our naming conventions for a TV library.  That is the main issue here.  What version did you upgrade from?

• Like 1

gokuz
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If this ever worked in the past I'm very surprised because it does not fit any of our naming conventions for a TV library.  That is the main issue here.  What version did you upgrade from?

5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

And the season number in metadata?

image.thumb.png.24303343e838b1fffe04824f99a07b25.png

I downgraded to 4.5.4.0 now, Everything works! 

You guys clearly broke something, please fix this, all of my Anime are sorted by Story Arcs and not "Seasons". 

image.png.6efe393fc7399cd15a18a71dcf7957c8.png

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, gokuz said:

image.thumb.png.24303343e838b1fffe04824f99a07b25.png

You guys clearly broke something, please fix this, all of my Anime are sorted by Story Arcs and not "Seasons". 

image.png.6efe393fc7399cd15a18a71dcf7957c8.png

And if you apply a proper season number they are sorted properly, correct?

There are major database changes so you can not really compare 4.5 to 4.6.

gokuz
Just now, Happy2Play said:

And if you apply a proper season number they are sorted properly, correct?

There are major database changes so you can not really compare 4.5 to 4.6.

So you guys broke something, please fix this.

Happy2Play
Just now, gokuz said:

So you guys broke something, please fix this.

But we can't fix something that was ever technically supported.

So if the stories have proper season numbers they appear in the correct order?

gokuz
Just now, Happy2Play said:

But we can't fix something that was ever technically supported.

So if the stories have proper season numbers they appear in the correct order?

Tried manually adding Seasons 1-4. Yes, it changed the order BUT It didn't change the fact all the episodes are still 55 in all seasons.

I'm really surprised to hear this worked in 4.5 because it really should not have.

Here is the recommended naming for TV Shows/Series
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

15 minutes ago, gokuz said:

Did you restore from a backup to get back to version 4.5?

You can NOT install 4.5 over top of 4.6 as that will break other functionality as 4.6 changes the database.

gokuz
1 minute ago, cayars said:

I'm really surprised to hear this worked in 4.5 because it really should not have.

Here is the recommended naming for TV Shows/Series

Did you restore from a backup to get back to version 4.5?

You can NOT install 4.5 over top of 4.6 as that will break other functionality as 4.6 changes the database.

What other functionality broke? I downgraded using docker.

Also, the normal "Seasons" is NOT realistic for Anime. You get lost at what "Arc" you want to watch and will inevitably google the episode you want which is counter productive.

When you say you downgraded using docker did you start from scratch and reset up everything?

You can't use the 4.6 databases with a 4.5 server version.

Deathsquirrel
Just now, gokuz said:

What other functionality broke? I downgraded using docker.

Also, the normal "Seasons" is NOT realistic for Anime. You get lost at what "Arc" you want to watch and will inevitably google the episode you want which is counter productive.

I've found the TVDB metadata lines up pretty well with your wishes for most shows.  The exception tends to be the really long-running things like Fairy Tail or One Piece.  That said, you may prefer the metadata you get from the anime plugin.  I still wouldn't expect it to work with your naming model but I could be wrong as I don't use that plugin.

1 minute ago, gokuz said:

@cayars

More examples,

image.thumb.png.5a05cd2cd885b132e1a86ce27b8750ad.png

The problem is that you aren't using folder and disc layouts that Emby supports. Sometimes things like this can seem to work for a short time but it's not supported, endorsed or tested during software development because the layout is NOT suppose to be like that.

gokuz
1 minute ago, Deathsquirrel said:

I've found the TVDB metadata lines up pretty well with your wishes for most shows.  The exception tends to be the really long-running things like Fairy Tail or One Piece.  That said, you may prefer the metadata you get from the anime plugin.  I still wouldn't expect it to work with your naming model but I could be wrong as I don't use that plugin.

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

The problem is that you aren't using folder and disc layouts that Emby supports. Sometimes things like this can seem to work for a short time but it's not supported, endorsed or tested during software development because the layout is NOT suppose to be like that.

"Seasons" are the problem.

Example of TVDB metadata that you love so much,

image.thumb.png.093018a184395bccbdb7d8911301a0eb.png

How would I know which "Story Arc" I would want to watch without Googling the answer. Like I said, not productive at all. Previous versions worked well so I didn't think any of it but you guys clearly broke something here, Please fix it.

Deathsquirrel
1 minute ago, gokuz said:

How would I know which "Story Arc" I would want to watch without Googling the answer. Like I said, not productive at all. Previous versions worked well so I didn't think any of it but you guys clearly broke something here, Please fix it.

You don't seem to understand the difference between not working and broken.  If you decide to use your sedan as an off-road vehicle and it breaks, that is not a problem with the vehicle.  Even if that sedan did not break the first 45 times you used it for an unintended purpose, that still doesn't make it a fault in the vehicle.  It just means you used it wrong and you broke it.

Your folder structure is not supported.  It was never supported.  If it appeared to work that's great, but entirely coincidental.

What you want is a feature request, not a bug fix.  You would like your currently unsupported structure to be officially supported.  Post it to the FR forum.  it could gain traction and perhaps be implemented.

• Like 1

gokuz
1 minute ago, Deathsquirrel said:

What you want is a feature request, not a bug fix.  You would like your currently unsupported structure to be officially supported.  Post it to the FR forum.  it could gain traction and perhaps be implemented.

Previous version had it. Devs erased it from existence. = I have to make a new request to add the old one? 

What logic is that.

Happy2Play

But a dev can not break something that was never supported, as already said just because it works does not mean any future update will not break it.  And more database logic would appear to be the case here (just my guess).

No previous versions of Emby ever supported this.  Again just because it may have worked does not mean it is supported. Put another way, you got lucky before, but it technically should not have worked.

Our supported naming conventions for TV is clearly documented here

We have similar documentation for other library types as well in our knowledge base.

It's not that we try to make life hard for users but we need to be able to take your file names and layout and make sense of it and be able to look this up at the meta-data providers to get back information.