Scan Library Failed - Root Element is Missing?

moviefan

AdrianW

Part of the problem maybe that MBS is looking up TV shows on TVDb by name and not finding them (this is for shows that don't already have a TVDb ID number).

What's strange for me - is that I have "Download artwork and metadata from the internet" turned off - yet, it is still trying to access TVDb.

-edit-

I just managed to get a scan to complete - I've spent ages scanning and then manually filling in the missing TVDb ID for the failing show as detailed in the server log, and then repeating.

Edited by AdrianW

@@Luke

deFcnV8l.png

This is frustrating to say the least, and your lack of attention is abhorrent.

2014-08-17 05:54:10.0558 Error - App: Error
	Root element is missing.
	System.Xml.XmlException
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
	   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
	   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
	   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(Stream inStream)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider.<FindSeries>d__2c.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider.<FindIdentity>d__5e.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.ItemIdentifier`2.<FindIdentities>d__b.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo.<FindIdentities>d__0.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<CreateInitialLookupInfo>d__4c.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<RefreshMetadata>d__2.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.<RefreshMetadata>d__23.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<RefreshChildMetadata>d__c7.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<RefreshMetadataRecursive>d__c1.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<RefreshChildMetadata>d__c7.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<RefreshMetadataRecursive>d__c1.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<ValidateChildrenInternal>d__a8.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.<PerformLibraryValidation>d__5a.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.<ValidateMediaLibraryInternal>d__53.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.<>c__DisplayClassf.<<ExecuteTask>b__e>d__11.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.<Execute>d__6.MoveNext()

2014-08-17 05:54:10.0558 Info - App: Scan media library Failed after 2 minute(s) and 3 seconds

Nothing changed yet here is the same error time after time. So fuck it, found the problem was on my F: drive. Whines about XML so ran "del /s *.xml" over everything on F: . The problem didn't stop. The even cooler part is the damn thing now won't even recreate the XML files I wiped off. This is ridiculous. I cannot believe you would introduce an error of this calibre and then pretend this thread doesnt exist with 0 participation from yourself. To me its a complete disregard for the consumer. The people who "supposedly" you wrote this application for are quickly switching to plex at this very moment for no other reason than their stuff works. Now don't get me wrong, I love the mediabrowser but right now the love isnt being reciprocated. I find it very hard to continue to use a product that treats me this way. Can this be corrected in a timely fashion? Can you at least post in this thread to alleviate users frustrations and validate them?

Note: Likely this is related to tvdb being down, or distracted, or just plain ruined. Who knows?

2014-08-17 06:30:57.2422 Debug - App: Running TvdbSeriesProvider for F:\-- TV Shows\How I Met Your Mother\Season 7
2014-08-17 06:30:57.2422 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Season+7
2014-08-17 06:30:57.3514 Error - App: Error in TheTVDB
	Root element is missing.
	System.Xml.XmlException
	   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider.<FindSeries>d__28.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider.<GetMetadata>d__2.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<ExecuteRemoteProviders>d__3c.MoveNext()

2014-08-17 06:30:57.3514 Debug - App: Running MovieDbSeriesProvider for F:\-- TV Shows\How I Met Your Mother\Season 7
2014-08-17 06:30:57.3514 Info - App: MovieDbProvider: Finding id for item: Season 7
2014-08-17 06:30:57.3514 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/tv?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&query=Season+7&language=en
2014-08-17 06:30:57.4762 Debug - App: MovieDbSeriesProvider returned no metadata for F:\-- TV Shows\How I Met Your

In the error above, the older version above "Version 3.0.5238.39498" (yes I keep old copies around just for this reason) can bail gracefully when this occurs and happily keeps scanning media. Why doesn't the new versions keep this ability?

Edited by speechles

porkbone

I am seeing the same error message after a failed scan:

2014-08-17 06:52:59.0900 Error - App: Error	Root element is missing.

MBS set to Release updates, but there was a server update overnite yesterday and it seems that's when this started.

MBS: 3.0.5340.21263

including latest server log with failure: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8t1jvjm881ykj89/server-63543841210.txt

Thanks

*Edit: I think this started after midnight this morning which is even weirder. I had no scan failures until the 12 am scan this morning.

Edited by porkbone

BATTLE DONKEY

@@Luke

deFcnV8l.png

This is frustrating to say the least, and your lack of attention is abhorrent.

2014-08-17 05:54:10.0558 Error - App: Error
	Root element is missing.
	System.Xml.XmlException
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider.<FindSeries>d__2c.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider.<FindIdentity>d__5e.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.ItemIdentifier`2.<FindIdentities>d__b.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo.<FindIdentities>d__0.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<CreateInitialLookupInfo>d__4c.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<RefreshMetadata>d__2.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.<RefreshMetadata>d__23.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<ValidateChildrenInternal>d__a8.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.<PerformLibraryValidation>d__5a.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.<ValidateMediaLibraryInternal>d__53.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.<>c__DisplayClassf.<<ExecuteTask>b__e>d__11.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.<Execute>d__6.MoveNext()

2014-08-17 05:54:10.0558 Info - App: Scan media library Failed after 2 minute(s) and 3 seconds
Nothing changed yet here is the same error time after time. So fuck it, found the problem was on my F: drive. Whines about XML so ran "del /s *.xml" over everything on F: . The problem didn't stop. The even cooler part is the damn thing now won't even recreate the XML files I wiped off. This is ridiculous. I cannot believe you would introduce an error of this calibre and then pretend this thread doesnt exist with 0 participation from yourself. To me its a complete disregard for the consumer. The people who "supposedly" you wrote this application for are quickly switching to plex at this very moment for no other reason than their stuff works. Now don't get me wrong, I love the mediabrowser but right now the love isnt being reciprocated. I find it very hard to continue to use a product that treats me this way. Can this be corrected in a timely fashion? Can you at least post in this thread to alleviate users frustrations and validate them?

Note: Likely this is related to tvdb being down, or distracted, or just plain ruined. Who knows?

2014-08-17 06:30:57.2422 Debug - App: Running TvdbSeriesProvider for F:\-- TV Shows\How I Met Your Mother\Season 7
2014-08-17 06:30:57.2422 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Season+7
2014-08-17 06:30:57.3514 Error - App: Error in TheTVDB
	Root element is missing.
	System.Xml.XmlException
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider.<FindSeries>d__28.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider.<GetMetadata>d__2.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<ExecuteRemoteProviders>d__3c.MoveNext()

2014-08-17 06:30:57.3514 Debug - App: Running MovieDbSeriesProvider for F:\-- TV Shows\How I Met Your Mother\Season 7
2014-08-17 06:30:57.3514 Info - App: MovieDbProvider: Finding id for item: Season 7
2014-08-17 06:30:57.3514 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/tv?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&query=Season+7&language=en
2014-08-17 06:30:57.4762 Debug - App: MovieDbSeriesProvider returned no metadata for F:\-- TV Shows\How I Met Your

In the error above, the older version above "Version 3.0.5238.39498" (yes I keep old copies around just for this reason) can bail gracefully when this occurs and happily keeps scanning media. Why doesn't the new versions keep this ability?

A little harsh don't you think, considering this thread was started 9 hours ago, did u consider Luke or the other developers haven't seen it? I would assume they sleep too, they're doing this in their spare time, work, families, regular life, there are many reasons why it may have not been addressed yet.

There's no need to fly off your horse throwing out wild accusations and rants. Most issues have been solved in a timely manner so there is no need for any of what you said

• Like 4

A little harsh don't you think, considering this thread was started 9 hours ago, did u consider Luke or the other developers haven't seen it? I would assume they sleep too, they're doing this in their spare time, work, families, regular life, there are many reasons why it may have not been addressed yet.

There's no need to fly off your horse throwing out wild accusations and rants. Most issues have been solved in a timely manner so there is no need for any of what you said

Your post is worth nothing. How about you post in threads when you have an issue besides your little fragile mind being hurt by others comments. I assume nothing. I see a major problem and nothing being done about it except everyone posting their logs. So to me, the only inappropriate comments in this thread are posted by the fellow with the clumsy entirely uppercase username. BATTLEDONKEY so go back to battling donkeys and expect me to leave you speechless as my nick implies. I am aware my nickname lacks the last S. This is also my nickname on EFNet on the IRC.

Also, what gives you the right to chime in as if, time is this invaluable asset that everyone can just wait on? Time is of the essense. Realize, and I am not speaking harshly, it may appear that way but when people become attached to a product and it is wonderful they become distraught and frustrated when it breaks. In the time it took me to type this I expect others feel the exact same way but fear reprisal from peanut-gallery-commentators who do exactly as you've done mr. DONKEY. Posting for the sake of posting and having some guy "like" your post to bump that little "GOOD" button attached to your username. For me that is superfluous and has no bearing really when attached to usernames. I can see the GOOD button having meaning in regards to threads this floats worthy posts above those less demanding. So yo, when you feel the need to bash someone else because their emotions may have gotten the better of them perhaps roll your eyes and make a groan sound next time instead of opening mouth and inserting foot.

@@Luke this has no bearing on you as a dude. You are fantastic and everyone knows this. The criticism is squarely on how the scan now "bails" on error rather than gracefully finishing like it used to.

Edited by speechles

Latchmor

Wow. As much as we all joke that Luke does not sleep I'm sure he does. He will see this and will respond.

Anyway, this error did not stop me using MB in anyway, been using it all day so it's no big deal. I have now just checked a few items it was failing on and locked the metadata (no entries online for these) and the error has gone.

I know it can be a bit confusing when something changes but unless your PC has blown up, chill out ;)

abhorrent?  Really??  Wow.  Thread posted at 12:45am Luke's time and it is now 10am on a Sunday morning.  I guess when you guys are paying Luke as much as you are you are entitled to 24/7 support?

Anyway, I'm sure we will look at this as soon as possible but, at first blush, it actually looks like something changed at the tvdb.com.  Looks like they are returning empty xml docs in some situations now that they weren't before.

• Like 1

SHibbard

Also experienced this after upgrading from 3.0.5309.26857 to 3.0.5340.21263.  Found it to be failing on zero-length collection.xml files.  I have a number of ripped DVD's with bonus discs that I have organized as collections, so no TMDB entry.  I added some data to a few of the 30 or so zero length collection.xml files and the errors stopped. Still have about 25 that are zero-length, but they don;t seem to bother it.

moviefan

Do you have any folders\files in \\SYNOLOGY\Video\Workout ??

Yes I do.  These are all custom TV series that I created that do not have TVDB IDs.  Based on the thread these are probably what is causing the errors but I don't want to delete these TV shows so what am I to do to correct these errors then?

I just went in and checked to verify that the metadata was locked for all of them.  It was not - so I went ahead and locked all of them and rescanned once again.but it is still failing.

Something clearly changed on the Media Browser or TVDB side that is causing this.  It isnt related to a server version upgrade because it started happening well after the last upgrade was applied.

I will just wait for Luke to get up to respond.  

@@speechles you clearly are overreacting a bit.  You can still use MediaBrowser with your existing media.  I posted this late at night on a Saturday and was the first user reporting the problem.  It is now 7:30 AM my time on Sunday.  This is a FREE program supported only by user donations.  Luke doesn't owe you anything, especially being up all night long on Saturday to help fix a tiny piece of this program he has volunteered countless hours of his life developing.  If you want to go use Plex feel free.  

Edited by moviefan

Considering the old version of Mediabrowser handled this and would continue to scan until it finished becomes my sticking point. A user should not need to fix what isn't broken to work around the server. It is expected to simply work. When it doesn't obviously there is an issue. It should skip onto the next item instead of fail. Manual intervention should not be required. The entire point of even using Mediabrowser is the metadata and images. To just casually throw out "chill out" shows how small your library must be. I can name at least 50 shows that have never had info on tvdb that I track. The majority are from Australia and New Zealand and a few from the UK as well. There is 0 confusion going on. Chilling out is not an option. Reverting the change to the server is expected. No emoticon winking face required. Simply fix the issue quickly and succinctly and we can move on. Peanut-gallery be damned.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

moviefan

To just casually throw out "chill out" shows how small your library must be.

LMAO.  You are clearly proud of your collection (dick?) size.  While I really don't care to debate this, I have over 30TB of video files.  Do you consider this small?

As far as chilling out, this is a required mentality anytime that you are USING SOMETHING FOR FREE.  From ebr's post, it sounds like something changed on TVDB that was unexpected.  This is not under Luke or anyone associated with Medirabrowser's control.  Clearly concepts like this outside of your limited mental capacity seem very difficult for you to grasp.

Again, feel free to migrate to Plex.  Nobody here wants or cares that you are here.

Winking face just for you-  ;)

• Like 2

Latchmor

Lol, @@moviefan, here's one for you  ;) Easy isn't it?

In fact have one of these too  :P  cos' I'm so chilled out and happy that a wee red square on my dashboard header hasn't made my house fall down, phew.

Cheers

LMAO.  You are clearly proud of your collection (dick?) size.  While I really don't care to debate this, I have over 30TB of video files.  Do you consider this small?

Yes. Now that we have that straight. I didnt mention my penis or my amount of storage. I did mention how many tv shows I would have to manually change if required to. Somehow when I mention the amount of shows which have no metadata you assume it's time to show how big our storage pools are. How ridiculous as well to have added that winky which was meant I guess as some gesture of trolling me. Nice fail. Nice move as well baiting "alpha testers" into participation. Always encouraging why there are still issues at release. Blame the testers. I blame you Latchmor.

As far as chilling out, this is a required mentality anytime that you are USING SOMETHING FOR FREE.

cUSgadtl.png

Ok. Free is relative to your investment. What does $20 get me at this point? Surely more than this peanut gallery tirade is

worth.

Again, feel free to migrate to Plex.  Nobody here wants or cares that you are here.

I never mentioned plex as an option to me. I said others would choose it for these very reasons. Perhaps I need you to pony up how much "support" you have given the project before we bandy about who wants who where, eh?

Edited by speechles

moviefan

You are all about these retarded pissing matches.  "My library is bigger than yours" (I am not going to say what it is just that it's bigger and call 30TB small")  "I've donated more than you"

Here is a thread where I stated that I've donated $50 just for people responding to questions to help me fix a problem that I resolved on my own:  

Luke or ebr could confirm that I donated right at that time and and this is on top of over $200 I have thrown MediaBrowser's way over time since the time of MB2.  So i've donated over ten times more than you I guess?

Does that win your stupid pissing match?  Anything else you want to discuss or can we please get back to on topic about potential fixes for this problem and stop listening to your bitching? 

Matter of fact, please go start your own thread and quit hijacking mine with your stupid petulant complaining.

AdrianW

There's an update to MBS available (Version 3.0.5342.18051) - it mentions "resolve tvdb issue".

Ok guys that is enough,keep it on topic and to the original OP.

If you want to slang each other do it privately and via pm.

Thanks.

• Like 1

moviefan

There's an update to MBS available (Version 3.0.5342.18051) - it mentions "resolve tvdb issue".

Is this a Dev version?  I am unable to update to this right now.  Where do you see this info?

SHibbard

Well, the "Root Element is Missing" problem is back.  Figured those remaining zero length collection.xml files would come back to haunt.  What is MB3 really expecting in a folder with multiple DVD image subfolders?  I've seen quite a bit of discussion here, but not quite sure.  Does it want both a folder.xml & a collection.xml?  Or maybe the following rules:

If collection is identified in TMDb as such, a collection.xml only (no folder.xml) with root tag "item" type=BoxSet, and a TMDbid in it.

If collection is NOT identified in TMDb, a folder.xml only (no colleciton.xml), with root tag "title", type = ???

arche

Well, the "Root Element is Missing" problem is back.  Figured those remaining zero length collection.xml files would come back to haunt.  What is MB3 really expecting in a folder with multiple DVD image subfolders?  I've seen quite a bit of discussion here, but not quite sure.  Does it want both a folder.xml & a collection.xml?  Or maybe the following rules:

If collection is identified in TMDb as such, a collection.xml only (no folder.xml) with root tag "item" type=BoxSet, and a TMDbid in it.

If collection is NOT identified in TMDb, a folder.xml only (no colleciton.xml), with root tag "title", type = ???

Have you tried the Dev version to see if it fixes your problem?

This discussion is about the library scan reporting a failure in the dashboard. What you're reporting the scan can recover from and continue on with, so unless you're library scan is actually saying failure in the dashboard, please open a new topic with adequate information.

SHibbard

Have you tried the Dev version to see if it fixes your problem?

Yes, and it appears to have fixed the problem!

SHibbard

This discussion is about the library scan reporting a failure in the dashboard. What you're reporting the scan can recover from and continue on with, so unless you're library scan is actually saying failure in the dashboard, please open a new topic with adequate information.

Library scan WAS actually saying failure in the dashboard, and the log file pointed to a collection, so I thought this may have been it.  The dev version (3.0.5342.18051) appears to have resolved the issue however, so it evidently was not.  I'll re-post as a new topic after some research.  Thanks.