Scan Library Failed - Root Element is Missing?

moviefan

moviefan

Library Scans for me just started failing with the error "Root Element is missing."  Failed multiple times in a row.  Rebooted the server and still having the same issue.

Snippet of error below and full server log since reboot attached.

Running version  3.0.5340.21263

2014-08-16 21:42:48.1171 Error - App: Error
	Root element is missing.
	System.Xml.XmlException
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
	   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
	   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
	   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(Stream inStream)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider.<FindSeries>d__2c.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider.<FindIdentity>d__5e.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.ItemIdentifier`2.<FindIdentities>d__b.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo.<FindIdentities>d__0.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<CreateInitialLookupInfo>d__4c.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.<RefreshMetadata>d__2.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.<RefreshMetadata>d__23.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<RefreshChildMetadata>d__c7.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<RefreshMetadataRecursive>d__c1.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<RefreshChildMetadata>d__c7.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<RefreshMetadataRecursive>d__c1.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder.<ValidateChildrenInternal>d__a8.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.<PerformLibraryValidation>d__5a.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.<ValidateMediaLibraryInternal>d__53.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.<>c__DisplayClassf.<<ExecuteTask>b__e>d__11.MoveNext()
	   at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.<Execute>d__6.MoveNext()
Edited by moviefan
  • Like 1

TheShanMan

Ditto. I've got 8 email notifications in the last hour and a half about this problem. It's weird because no configuration was done prior to that, no media added, nor was mediabrowser in use either.

Edited by TheShanMan

Jason922

Same thing happening here... Just happened earlier today.

Have reset the library and re-install the server with the same problem

AdrianW

It seems to be caused by TV shows that are missing a TVDb Id - my scan was failing at a particular show, but after fixing the TVDb Id (I use metabrowser) and restarting the scan, it got further and stopped at another show without an ID.

I'm working my way through the remaining 12 shows that have a missing ID - hopefully after that a scan will run to completion.

+1 any idea on how to work out what it is the problem (i.e which Tv shows?)

i seem to be getting lots of failures on TV shows (some of these arent going to have a tv entry) lots of "This is aseries entry"

what changed?

Edited by user29

Angelblue05

I encountered the same error. I had two TV series folders that were empty (no files in them, just the folder created). I deleted them and that fixed the issue for me. All my other shows had TVDB ids so that wasn't the problem for me.

Edited by Angelblue05

CBers

I encountered the same error. I had two TV series folders that were empty (no files in them, just the folder created). I deleted them and that fixed the issue for me. All my other shows had TVDB ids so that wasn't the problem for me.

Try adding a Season folder and re-scanning.

MB3 won't fetch on an empty TV show folder.

55555md

In that problem - empty folder is not the reason. I fight with that many hours, only if I delete folder or put manually fake ''TheTVDB Id''(by Metadata Manager) then it works. Unfortunetly many mine tv shows doesn't exist on http://thetvdb.com :(

Angelblue05

@@CBers

Yes, I am aware that MB3 won't fetch empty TV Show folders. However, until today, I've never had any issue with scanning my library. Then, the root missing error started happening 5 hours ago. I only had two warnings in my metadata manager for two empty TV show folder, I figured I would just delete them since they are empty folders anyway and started the scan again and BAM! it completed. :)

Either it's a bug, or they implemented a strict library structure requirement :0

It is surely a bug.

I just added two movies including metadata fetched by metabrowser and the movie info isn't shown in MBC.

I wish there was some rollback feature build into the server.

Hopefully the bug will be removed soon.

Ciao, Alfred

CBers

I've flagged it in the dev forums, but I am not seeing the issue myself.

It would seem that "Root element is missing" is a common issue as using the search tool, there are lots of entries with it in.

CBers

Library Scans for me just started failing with the error "Root Element is missing."  Failed multiple times in a row.  Rebooted the server and still having the same issue.

Snippet of error below and full server log since reboot attached.

Running version  3.0.5340.21263

Do you have any folders\files in \\SYNOLOGY\Video\Workout ??

CBers

Same here .... failed scans and log full of errors @ TV Series folder structures etc

Log attached :)

Seems to be an issue with your "Hit & Miss" tv show.

Angelblue05

Never mind guys, it seemed to be a false positive. Somehow it completed. I've just retried scanning my library and it gave me the error again. Hmm :(

gordon1000

I think this is a bug in TvdbSeriesProvider.

In my MB3 Server log file:

2014-08-17 21:55:49.9401 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Fullmetal+Alchemist+(Series+(2003)

2014-08-17 21:55:50.5700 Error - App: Error
Root element is missing.
System.Xml.XmlException

If I try this URL in a browser and refresh multiple times, thetvdb.com sometimes returns data:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Data>
</Data>

but sometimes it returns nothing, which caused the Xml to failed to load.
Edited by gordon1000