Unrequired Subtitles

Riples

I have recently turned on the automatic downloading of Subtitle Metadata and to be honest - it's killing me!  Personally, I can't handle English sub titles in an English movie, but for some reason, MBS seems to be encouraging this for me.

I have set my options to only download subtitles if the audio tracks don't match the language and also skip if the movie already contains graphical subtitles.  When I watch the MKV on my computer, it only plays the embedded subtitles for a different language, however, as soon as I watch the same movie file on MediaBrowswer Classic, it kicks in English subtitles.  Looking at MBS, I can see that it's downloaded an SRT file for each movie, completely in English and I get every word throughout the movie in English.

I am having to rename the SRT file and start the movie again so that it won't add the subtitles.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  It's a great concept to automatically add in subtitles, but I just can't seem to get it working correctly for me.

Thanks in advance.

Rips

Well, the truth is MBC is the one client we don't have control over in terms of what subtitles are played. That's just due to the age of the wmc player. it has no api to control that.

Other media browser apps don't have this problem and function as you expect, honoring all user profile subtitle settings.

Hey Luke, could you elaborate more on your post please.

Much appreciated.

Also, Wayne, sorry but I can't seem to find where that setting lives. 

Rips

DuffMan

Well, the truth is MBC is the one client we don't have control over in terms of what subtitles are played. That's just due to the age of the wmc player. it has no api to control that.

Other media browser apps don't have this problem and function as you expect, honoring all user profile subtitle settings.

The only reason I still use it is because Live TV doesn't work in Theater (yet) & Pandora :-)

Riples, i have had some success by turning to only play forced subtitles in whatever you are using to render your subtitles.

If you play a file with subtitles you will normally have a little tray icon appear (bottom right cornor), i have a little green arrow, for instance that is rendering the subtitles (think it is directvobsub) and displaying them.  You can go in there and turn them off, however that seems to be a manual process each time you play a file.

You can also go into it's settings and tell it to only play forced subtitles.

As I said I have had some success with this, but some subtitles still play, I think it might have something to do with the subtitles being set as forced even though they are just English subtitles for English speech.

fraenhawk

Because you're running MBC (as am I because of the Live TV), it's under the control of the codecs you're using. You didn't mention if you're using LAV or what for a splitter/subtitle processor? I run LAV Splitter and the config I came up with that works 95% of the time (my tried-and-true test movie is always District 9 - that's a tough one for some splitters to get to auto work on the alien parts) is I have the Subtitle Selection Mode in Advanced, Audio = eng,jpn and Subtitles set to jpn:eng;*:*|f;*:off

What this tells it is that I prefer English audio tracks but if my only other choice is Japanese (anime) to play it. Then for subtitles that jpn:eng means that if it does wind up playing a Japanese audio track, show the English subtitles. If there's a subtitle marked as forced (good for English movies with foreign parts like district 9) to play them, otherwise don't play subtitles.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

@@fraenhawk is spot on with his post.

It depends on which codec/filters you are using. I use FFDShow and can control the subtitles from the FFDShow Video or FFDShow DXVA decoders.  

LAV is a much simpler setup if you are NOT used to using Codecs, I would suggest going with fraenhawks method.

fraenhawk

Yes, LAV does the internals and xy-vsfilter does the externals. I just followed the tutorial for the LAV install from the Mediabrowser forums found here.

Thanks Fraenhawk for your post, I will check it out.

However, my query really is why does MBS download a .srt file which is completely in English when I have the flag turned on that says "Skip if the default audio track matches the download language"?

The way the metadata page is setup, it sounds like it will ONLY download the English components that are missing, not the entire movie?

Looking at my SubDirectory tree, it has an English downloaded .srt file for every movie in my collection.

well for one you probably want to make sure those audio tracks that are in english are actually marked as english and not unknown.

Hey Luke....looking at just one example here...

The movie below shows a default audio track in English:

53f079c85c516_Capture.png

However, MBS has still downloaded the entire .srt file in complete English.

When I watch the MKV on my PC there are no subtitles, but since MBS has placed a .srt file in the same directory, MBC will now include the subtitle track.

Removing the .srt file removes the subtitles and hence I can then watch the movie correctly.

Like I mentioned, I love the idea of MBS automatically downloading missing subtitles for foreign audio in a movie - I am just concerned that it's downloaded everything regardless of language.

fraenhawk

@@Riples I never ran into that, but a) I don't have an open subtitles account and B) I have all the checkboxes in the "download subtitles for" section unchecked. I've never downloaded a movie that didn't already have the subs if they were needed so I'm not sure the scenario where I'd want MBS grabbing them. I can completely understand a non-English speaker wanting foreign subs, but as an English speaker, it's pretty rare to get non-English shows/movies, and even rarer to get ones that don't already have subs.

Edited by fraenhawk

@@fraenhawk I must be doing something wrong then.  I seem to constantly have issues with Subtitles in movies and it does get frustrating.  Normally I'll find that someone has embedded English subtitles and I have to use MKVmerge GUI to strip them out.  However, that normally ends up stripping out the non-English parts as well and I don't realize it's happened until half way through the movie and can't understand the dialect.

That's why I was hoping MBS would start taking care of this.  Then it wouldn't matter if all the subtitles were stripped.

I ended up having to go back and manually add the non English parts for these movies so I could watch it.

But if I should be handling this a better way then I'm certainly open to suggestion.

best thing to do is provide a concrete example or two, screenshots of the media info from the web client, and screenshots of the subtitle config page.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Luke and sorry for the delayed response.  Okay, I have tried to gather all required info to give you an example.  Hopefully it's what you have asked for.

So, in MBS I have the following setting applied:

54099e6121732_MetadataSetup.png

Then looking at the Movie in question, it seems there is only a single Audio stream with is defaulted to English:

54099e9b3b9b2_MKVMergeScreenshot.png

Media Browser Client then gives me the following Media Information:

54099ef2efefa_MovieDetailsClient.png

And finally, watching the Movie applies English Subtitles:

54099f424a315_SubtitleScreenshot.png

In the MBS Movie directory, I have the following file downloaded: The Amazing Spider-Man 2.eng.srt which (when viewed) shows English subtitles for the entire movie.

If I rename the .srt file, then I can watch the movie without subtitles so I know they are not hard embedded in the movie.

Looking at my movie collection, I can see it hasn't downloaded srt files for every movie, so obviously something is different.

Thanks

Redshirt

If you click your user icon in the web-ui and then click "my preferences" in the flyout. What are your users settings for subtitles (The language tab). Those are what define subtitle behaviour in clients that honor those settings.

fraenhawk

You posted the screenshot in MBS for downloading subtitles. That has absolutely nothing to do with the playback of them. As has been said, since you're using MBC, your codecs are in control of whether the subtitles show on the screen (Haali splitter or LAV Splitter, etc). You need to set Media Center to not be full screen and look in your systray for whatever program you're using that controls subtitles and see how you have them set.

It sounds like you really have two issues that you're getting mixed together. A) Did MBS download the srt file for that movie or was it already included and if it downloaded, why? and B) if you do have an SRT file in the directory, how to stop it from showing the subtitles. B is not controlled by Media Browser when you're running MBC.

Now if you were using the web client, MB has control over those subtitles, and that's a whole different screen for settings. Those skip settings in your screenshot refer to skipping the download, not skipping the playback.

@@fraenhawk - Yes sorry I don't want to get confusing.  I guess I am wanting to know WHY MBS is downloading the SRT file for movies that are have a default English audio stream.  I do understand that the codecs control the subtitle behaviour in MBC, however, as I mentioned above, if I remove the .srt file (or rename it) from the Movie directory then no subtitles are shown in the client.  So I know my problem doesn't exist in the codecs otherwise, I believe I would get subtitles regardless (please correct me if I am mistaken).

I only place movie files in my directories (.MKVs) with no other content, so I can guarantee it's MBS downloading the SRT file.  I will post a screen shot of my subtitle settings through the system tray options though.

As for @@Redshirt - please find my Language settings below (I have to be honest, I didn't even realise these settings existed):

540a6675930fe_LanguageSettings.png

the above screenshot represents individual user subtitle playback preferences. the download settings are in the metadata configuration and have their own values

• 10 months later...
studio-jurdan

hum, the probl is still aplicabvle, i had a serie tv with all my own subtlte in french IN the folder, but Emby still load english subtilte on english film !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

And NEVER use my french subtitle. i mus quit the seerrver and watch my film external with vls to have MY own subtitle. hum  this is not a media server taht do that stupid thinks !!!!

I'm sorry but if i have a subtitle in my folder i don't uderstant and like to downlad anopther one. i can't understand why it does that stupid action.

I also set ALL as possible to use  D hardisk and NEVER c: (it is a SSD one) 

i asked to push all metadata IN the film folder, but this stupid Subtitle english i can'tr see where it is. it is not in the film folder.  so  EZMBY do exactrlyu what IT need and nothing that what  I NEED ME !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by studio-jurdan

hum, the probl is still aplicabvle, i had a serie tv with all my own subtlte in french IN the folder, but Emby still load english subtilte on english film !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

And NEVER use my french subtitle. i mus quit the seerrver and watch my film external with vls to have MY own subtitle. hum  this is not a media server taht do that stupid thinks !!!!

I'm sorry but if i have a subtitle in my folder i don't uderstant and like to downlad anopther one. i can't understand why it does that stupid action.

I also set ALL as possible to use  D hardisk and NEVER c: (it is a SSD one) 

i asked to push all metadata IN the film folder, but this stupid Subtitle english i can'tr see where it is. it is not in the film folder.  so  EZMBY do exactrlyu what IT need and nothing that what  I NEED ME !!!!!!!!!!!

we don't do stupid actions. have you set your playback language preferences?

studio-jurdan

all the possible interface is set to french, what a pitty there insn't a "FRENCH ONLY to all " buton  lol

and to be able to use my OWN subtitle i had to rename all the file with a name un reachable to the external database.  ex  "matrix>>>>matrixtt"
hum it is not a real solution. and also i can't see where it push the subtitle it download without my permission.

and  how to be sure that NEVER it will rec and whrite perpetualy on my c:  SSD drive.

Edited by studio-jurdan