Jump to content

Sort By: last episode date AIRED


Recommended Posts

topbanana

Can we add a sort-order for TV Series such that those series which have recently aired a new episode are at the top?

Sorting by 'Release Date' is good for finding completely new series, seeing which have been released this year, say.

But it'd be nice to see the series listed with new episodes, even when the series started many years ago.
That way you can see what you need to catch up with, even if you didn't know there was a newly aired episode, etc.

This could honour the 'Display Missing Episodes' option, such that the season would appear at the top even if the episode hadn't been added to emby yet, was missing. This would be handy for identifying missing episodes too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
2 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

you already can

last episode date added

That is not technically exactly the same but probably covers most situations.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
topbanana
2 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

you already can

last episode date added

Nope. This is something different. 

This is when media is added to emby. Which in itself is useful too... 

If we add an old tv series to the library, it'll show at the top. But its episodes aired years ago. 

I'm talking about showing which tv series/shows have just had episodes that have aired. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
topbanana
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

There are a couple topics of this virtual episode throwing sort order out of order.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/94986-what-determines-order-of-items-in-latest-tv-shows

I'm not fussed if it's not perfect. There maybe limitations with emby or the dbs, but if it gets it right most of the time, that'll be amazingly useful. 

At the moment it gets it "wrong" 100% of the time! 😄

Never let perfection get in the way of good. 

 

I'd just like to see what shows aired this week, that I want to catch up with, or which series suddenly appears that it's got a new season just started that i didn't know about. 

With the movies, i have them sorted by release date. It works perfectly. I can see which films are the latest, from this year. But obviously, they're single entities. I have tv series sorted by release date too. But it simply doesn't show me which episodes have just aired... Only which seasons are brand new. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
GrimReaper

Doesn't Episodes tab>Sort by Release date already provide that? Latest episodes on top? Regardless of Series release date or date added? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Doesn't Episode tab>Sort by release date already provide that? Latest episodes on top? 

Only what you have added.

Basically if Upcoming were to maintain the previous x amount of days. 

I really don't see this truly working from a virtual/missing standpoint on library view.  But I guess with enough parameter anything could be possible as it would have to limit how far out aired would apply to.  As it is already doing it with virtual future metadata.

Edited by Happy2Play
Link to post
Share on other sites
GrimReaper
25 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Only what you have added.

Basically if Upcoming were to maintain the previous x amount of days.

Oh, I get it. Since the data is already there, Missing/Future, and known to Emby, why not just include Missing in Episodes view then? Why was it excluded in the first place, anyway? I personally don't use Show missing episodes so never thought about it, but wouldn't it make sense that that option includes showing them in Episodes tab also? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Link to post
Share on other sites
topbanana
4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Only what you have added.

Basically if Upcoming were to maintain the previous x amount of days. 

I really don't see this truly working from a virtual/missing standpoint on library view.  But I guess with enough parameter anything could be possible as it would have to limit how far out aired would apply to.  As it is already doing it with virtual future metadata.

If you have the "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, which i do, the metadata for that episode is downloaded and includes its aired/release date.  If i look at the metadata for 'missing' episodes, it's fully populated.
So it should work as i requested in the OP.

What i'm looking for is if i go to my 'Dramas' library, and i've set the sort order to "Last episode date AIRED", then it'll show all the drama tv series with the currently running shows at the top, that have aired episodes this week, etc...
And as I've got my "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, it'll show the drama series that had its latest episode aired last night right at the top, even if I've not added the media file to emby yet.
And for those of you that don't have the "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, it'll show the series with the most recently aired episode that is available in emby.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
11 hours ago, topbanana said:

If you have the "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, which i do, the metadata for that episode is downloaded and includes its aired/release date.  If i look at the metadata for 'missing' episodes, it's fully populated.
So it should work as i requested in the OP.

What i'm looking for is if i go to my 'Dramas' library, and i've set the sort order to "Last episode date AIRED", then it'll show all the drama tv series with the currently running shows at the top, that have aired episodes this week, etc...
And as I've got my "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, it'll show the drama series that had its latest episode aired last night right at the top, even if I've not added the media file to emby yet.
And for those of you that don't have the "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, it'll show the series with the most recently aired episode that is available in emby.

But, what the others are saying is that those metadata providers have future episodes (sometimes way in the future and many times the entire current season) as well.  So, such a sort would likely be useless in that case unless that were taken into account - and doing that then becomes complex.

Still, this is a valid request.

Link to post
Share on other sites
GrimReaper
37 minutes ago, ebr said:

But, what the others are saying is that those metadata providers have future episodes (sometimes way in the future and many times the entire current season) as well.  So, such a sort would likely be useless in that case unless that were taken into account - and doing that then becomes complex.

Still, this is a valid request.

I reckon the distinction between Missing and Future episodes should be made here, as the latter makes no sense in any view except where they are already placed. However, OP's request sounds completely reasonable to me, if one opts to Show MISSING episodes within Seasons - and they are indeed shown, along with existing episodes, and the data IS present and known - what's the issue to pull and display them few levels up, on Episodes tab, again, along with existing episodes? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Outbound

Hey on a related note, is there a way to change the season order display? 

It would be nice to have the current season first in the menu instead of last.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke
2 hours ago, Outbound said:

Hey on a related note, is there a way to change the season order display? 

It would be nice to have the current season first in the menu instead of last.

There is no option for that, but it's come up before so it's always possible for the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Outbound

That would be great, 55 seasons of NFL can be tedious when trying to get to the current season(some platforms better than others).

Thanks for the response Luke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Outbound said:

That would be great, 55 seasons of NFL can be tedious when trying to get to the current season(some platforms better than others).

Thanks for the response Luke.

Or an option to add Season as Favorite, thus making it easily accessible? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, Outbound said:

you can favorite a show and episode, no favorite season option.

 

Yeah, hence the suggestion to implement it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
topbanana
On 11/02/2021 at 21:36, ebr said:

But, what the others are saying is that those metadata providers have future episodes (sometimes way in the future and many times the entire current season) as well.  So, such a sort would likely be useless in that case unless that were taken into account - and doing that then becomes complex.

Still, this is a valid request.

Emby already deals with this. 

If you go to any season of a currently running show, it shows the existing media, any missing episodes, and UNAIRED episodes, where the providers have the data for them. 

Emby knows today's date. 

So when displaying TV shows, they could be sorted showing those shows with the most recent episodes... Media present or missing. And it'll obviously ignore the unaired episodes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
13 hours ago, topbanana said:

Emby already deals with this. 

If you go to any season of a currently running show, it shows the existing media, any missing episodes, and UNAIRED episodes, where the providers have the data for them. 

Emby knows today's date. 

So when displaying TV shows, they could be sorted showing those shows with the most recent episodes... Media present or missing. And it'll obviously ignore the unaired episodes. 

I, of course, already know all of that.  I was just explaining the additional complexities involved here and "accounting for" these things isn't always as simple (or performant) as you might expect.

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
topbanana

With the autumn seasons kicking in, i'd still like to be able to see what shows have just started airing new episodes of new seasons.

Even if it slowed emby down a bit, if it had a disclaimer stating such, i could then make that informed choice.  And if emby is running on decent hardware, then it'd be irrelevant anyway.
And emby already knows if something is unaired.  So it already knows what to ignore.

I'm still currently left with shows that have been running for years, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the page, with only shows that were born in 2021 at the top.  This isn't that helpful.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...