Sort By: last episode date AIRED

Guest topbanana

Guest topbanana

Can we add a sort-order for TV Series such that those series which have recently aired a new episode are at the top?

Sorting by 'Release Date' is good for finding completely new series, seeing which have been released this year, say.

But it'd be nice to see the series listed with new episodes, even when the series started many years ago.
That way you can see what you need to catch up with, even if you didn't know there was a newly aired episode, etc.

This could honour the 'Display Missing Episodes' option, such that the season would appear at the top even if the episode hadn't been added to emby yet, was missing. This would be handy for identifying missing episodes too.

2 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

you already can

last episode date added

That is not technically exactly the same but probably covers most situations.

Guest topbanana
2 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

you already can

last episode date added

Nope. This is something different. 

This is when media is added to emby. Which in itself is useful too... 

If we add an old tv series to the library, it'll show at the top. But its episodes aired years ago. 

I'm talking about showing which tv series/shows have just had episodes that have aired. 

Guest topbanana
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

There are a couple topics of this virtual episode throwing sort order out of order.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/94986-what-determines-order-of-items-in-latest-tv-shows

I'm not fussed if it's not perfect. There maybe limitations with emby or the dbs, but if it gets it right most of the time, that'll be amazingly useful. 

At the moment it gets it "wrong" 100% of the time! 😄

Never let perfection get in the way of good. 

I'd just like to see what shows aired this week, that I want to catch up with, or which series suddenly appears that it's got a new season just started that i didn't know about. 

With the movies, i have them sorted by release date. It works perfectly. I can see which films are the latest, from this year. But obviously, they're single entities. I have tv series sorted by release date too. But it simply doesn't show me which episodes have just aired... Only which seasons are brand new. 

GrimReaper

Doesn't Episodes tab>Sort by Release date already provide that? Latest episodes on top? Regardless of Series release date or date added? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typo

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Doesn't Episode tab>Sort by release date already provide that? Latest episodes on top? 

Only what you have added.

Basically if Upcoming were to maintain the previous x amount of days. 

I really don't see this truly working from a virtual/missing standpoint on library view.  But I guess with enough parameter anything could be possible as it would have to limit how far out aired would apply to.  As it is already doing it with virtual future metadata.

Edited by Happy2Play

GrimReaper
25 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Oh, I get it. Since the data is already there, Missing/Future, and known to Emby, why not just include Missing in Episodes view then? Why was it excluded in the first place, anyway? I personally don't use Show missing episodes so never thought about it, but wouldn't it make sense that that option includes showing them in Episodes tab also? 

Edited by GrimReaper76

Guest topbanana
4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I really don't see this truly working from a virtual/missing standpoint on library view.  But I guess with enough parameter anything could be possible as it would have to limit how far out aired would apply to.  As it is already doing it with virtual future metadata.

If you have the "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, which i do, the metadata for that episode is downloaded and includes its aired/release date.  If i look at the metadata for 'missing' episodes, it's fully populated.
So it should work as i requested in the OP.

What i'm looking for is if i go to my 'Dramas' library, and i've set the sort order to "Last episode date AIRED", then it'll show all the drama tv series with the currently running shows at the top, that have aired episodes this week, etc...
And as I've got my "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, it'll show the drama series that had its latest episode aired last night right at the top, even if I've not added the media file to emby yet.
And for those of you that don't have the "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, it'll show the series with the most recently aired episode that is available in emby.

11 hours ago, topbanana said:

If you have the "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, which i do, the metadata for that episode is downloaded and includes its aired/release date.  If i look at the metadata for 'missing' episodes, it's fully populated.
So it should work as i requested in the OP.

What i'm looking for is if i go to my 'Dramas' library, and i've set the sort order to "Last episode date AIRED", then it'll show all the drama tv series with the currently running shows at the top, that have aired episodes this week, etc...
And as I've got my "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, it'll show the drama series that had its latest episode aired last night right at the top, even if I've not added the media file to emby yet.
And for those of you that don't have the "Display Missing Episodes" option enabled, it'll show the series with the most recently aired episode that is available in emby.

But, what the others are saying is that those metadata providers have future episodes (sometimes way in the future and many times the entire current season) as well.  So, such a sort would likely be useless in that case unless that were taken into account - and doing that then becomes complex.

Still, this is a valid request.

GrimReaper
37 minutes ago, ebr said:

But, what the others are saying is that those metadata providers have future episodes (sometimes way in the future and many times the entire current season) as well.  So, such a sort would likely be useless in that case unless that were taken into account - and doing that then becomes complex.

I reckon the distinction between Missing and Future episodes should be made here, as the latter makes no sense in any view except where they are already placed. However, OP's request sounds completely reasonable to me, if one opts to Show MISSING episodes within Seasons - and they are indeed shown, along with existing episodes, and the data IS present and known - what's the issue to pull and display them few levels up, on Episodes tab, again, along with existing episodes? 

Outbound

Hey on a related note, is there a way to change the season order display? 

It would be nice to have the current season first in the menu instead of last.

2 hours ago, Outbound said:

Hey on a related note, is there a way to change the season order display? 

It would be nice to have the current season first in the menu instead of last.

There is no option for that, but it's come up before so it's always possible for the future.

Outbound

That would be great, 55 seasons of NFL can be tedious when trying to get to the current season(some platforms better than others).

Thanks for the response Luke.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Outbound said:

That would be great, 55 seasons of NFL can be tedious when trying to get to the current season(some platforms better than others).

Thanks for the response Luke.

Or an option to add Season as Favorite, thus making it easily accessible? 

GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, Outbound said:

you can favorite a show and episode, no favorite season option.

Yeah, hence the suggestion to implement it. 

Guest topbanana
On 11/02/2021 at 21:36, ebr said:

Emby already deals with this. 

If you go to any season of a currently running show, it shows the existing media, any missing episodes, and UNAIRED episodes, where the providers have the data for them. 

Emby knows today's date. 

So when displaying TV shows, they could be sorted showing those shows with the most recent episodes... Media present or missing. And it'll obviously ignore the unaired episodes. 

13 hours ago, topbanana said:

Emby already deals with this. 

If you go to any season of a currently running show, it shows the existing media, any missing episodes, and UNAIRED episodes, where the providers have the data for them. 

Emby knows today's date. 

So when displaying TV shows, they could be sorted showing those shows with the most recent episodes... Media present or missing. And it'll obviously ignore the unaired episodes. 

I, of course, already know all of that.  I was just explaining the additional complexities involved here and "accounting for" these things isn't always as simple (or performant) as you might expect.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...
Guest topbanana

With the autumn seasons kicking in, i'd still like to be able to see what shows have just started airing new episodes of new seasons.

Even if it slowed emby down a bit, if it had a disclaimer stating such, i could then make that informed choice.  And if emby is running on decent hardware, then it'd be irrelevant anyway.
And emby already knows if something is unaired.  So it already knows what to ignore.

I'm still currently left with shows that have been running for years, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the page, with only shows that were born in 2021 at the top.  This isn't that helpful.

• 1 year later...
evil_crab

It would be great to have this sort order even without taking future episodes into consideration. Sorting by date added is mostly fine, but it's quite silly to see some old show that you added recently on the top of the list among currently airing series.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Guest topbanana

Has there been any progress on this very useful feature?

* Emby can periodically download the metadata for TV shows.  That often includes future episodes.
* Emby knows today's date.
* Emby knows whether an episode is unaired
* Emby knows if an episode is missing.
* Emby knows about every episode added to the library recently.
We just need to join this info such that it displays TV Shows in a library in the Last Aired order.

* Yes, that would show 'Missing' episodes if we haven't added them.  That's on us admins.
* Yes, it might not have up to date metadata on a TV Show, so it won't be in the correct order if no episodes were added.
* Yes this would depend on 'Show missing episodes' being selected.  An error message explaining this would address this.
* Yes, the frequency of automatic metadata refresh might affect the correct order.  
* But all added episodes would make the tv show sort correctly.
* Emby making a few mistakes is far better than it making 'all' the mistakes by not being able to sort in this way at all.

Date Added, is great, but as @evil_crab correctly says, we don't want the list to be littered with shows that are decades old, we just tidied up, or upgraded, that we've perhaps already watch.

We just want to see what shows are running, what episodes are new.
And us admins would also like to be able to to see what shows have restarted and are missing episodes, so we can get on that.

GrimReaper

Or maybe just use dedicated software for tracking your TV shows? Emby is primarily media server, all these extra features are nice-to-haves, but with virtual items bringing their own set of issues (not related only to the topic in question but much wider in scope), I reckon they should generally be avoided, if feasible (or in my case: under all circumstances). You know how they say: Jack of all trades - master of none.