Jump to content

Disabling Password Requirement inside LAN


sundevil67
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've made sure this setting is enabled & triple-checked my browser's security settings to make sure the Emby local server address is added as an 'exception' to allow storage of the cookie....yet every time I restart my computer, log out, or close my browser & return later, I have to enter my username & password to sign in to my 'master' account. I use Bitwarden & am spared the tedium of actually typing anything, but it's still an extra step that's beginning to annoy me, especially when I switch to less convenient setups throughout the house.

Is this a known bug with any particular browsers by any chance, or some kind of workaround out there I haven't found?

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 6.08.17 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless there is a OS defect here or a network issue, I do not see this behavior on any Windows system as this setting has been applied your years on my primary users.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same issue with my Macbook. Navigating to the local address of Emby (http://192.168.X.X:8096/) recognised my MB as a device inside the network, using the hostname always recognised the MB as an access from outside the network. Windows however was able to use the hostname/FQDN inside my local network (http://embyhostname:8096/ or http://embyhostname.reverse.proxy:443/)

 

Only way wich I have found to get around this behavior, was to add an entry into my local DNS server (PiHole or Adguard) to resolve the hostname/FQDN to the local IP of emby.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

I've made sure this setting is enabled & triple-checked my browser's security settings to make sure the Emby local server address is added as an 'exception' to allow storage of the cookie....yet every time I restart my computer, log out, or close my browser & return later, I have to enter my username & password to sign in to my 'master' account. I use Bitwarden & am spared the tedium of actually typing anything, but it's still an extra step that's beginning to annoy me, especially when I switch to less convenient setups throughout the house.

Is this a known bug with any particular browsers by any chance, or some kind of workaround out there I haven't found?

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 6.08.17 PM.png

We'd have to look at an example in order to be able to provide much insight. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2021 at 8:03 PM, dariusaurius said:

I had the same issue with my Macbook. Navigating to the local address of Emby (http://192.168.X.X:8096/) recognised my MB as a device inside the network, using the hostname always recognised the MB as an access from outside the network. Windows however was able to use the hostname/FQDN inside my local network (http://embyhostname:8096/ or http://embyhostname.reverse.proxy:443/)

 

Only way wich I have found to get around this behavior, was to add an entry into my local DNS server (PiHole or Adguard) to resolve the hostname/FQDN to the local IP of emby.

 

When I access it from the computer running the server (localhost...), the setting works. When I hit it from my other computer upstairs, with the IP address, I have to login each time. Both are connected to the same router via Ethernet.

I'm not quite sure how to provide an example of such behavior fr @Luke though....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is the IP address subnet you are using ? - lets make sure that is classed as 'local' (RFC1918) - either 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well the server dashboard will show you the remote ip addresses of those devices that it is seeing so that should offer some clues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Luke said:

Well the server dashboard will show you the remote ip addresses of those devices that it is seeing so that should offer some clues.

I can see that, but I'm not sure how that helps me figure out why I need the password to login... Sorry, you went over my head there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

I can see that, but I'm not sure how that helps me figure out why I need the password to login... Sorry, you went over my head there.

Because those addresses, along with the lan address of the emby server reported on your server dashboard, along with your configured network settings in emby server....those three components are what gets factored into how the server determines if the device is on the local network or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So you're saying this isn't working because Emby Server thinks I'm coming from outside my home network? I figured using the IP address in my address-bar instead of the domain I use when away from home would be enough to identify me as coming from within the LAN. I'll look at my password mgr extension & see what I can do to streamline the process further, but it seems like logging in every time is just something I'm going to have to live with.

 

 

 

is just something I have to live with & just have to login every time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry if I missed it above... Does your Mac have an IPv6 address (dual stack)? If so do you need it and what happens if you disable it? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

So you're saying this isn't working because Emby Server thinks I'm coming from outside my home network?

That's my best guess right now, caused by however the network has been configured, which could be a combination of emby server network settings along with how your reverse proxy is set up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as I can tell, I'm still using IPv4, but I'm not going to monkey around in the router settings... Maybe I'll look into it again if I get around to setting up the SSL, but for now I'll just keep using my password manager browser extension to login. Thanks for the tips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

As far as I can tell, I'm still using IPv4

Well you can verify by checking the server activity log to see what ip addresses the connections came from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, Luke said:

Well you can verify by checking the server activity log to see what ip addresses the connections came from.

It's 192.168...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...