HDHomerun tuner not releasing, CPU at 100%

globe123

I've dropped back to v4.5.2.0 a month or so ago with no problems to  report.

I'm anxiously awaiting the fix for no Closed Captions for LiveTV in v4.5.4.0.

• Like 1

globe123

Unfortunately for my system, 4.5.2.0 also has the tuner release problem. Changed back to 4.5.4.0

This typed into the command prompt (Windows 10) will release the tuner:

"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" tunerid set /tuner0/lockkey forced

BUT Emby will just retune the tuner (endlessly). I tried all of the suggestions in this post to no avail. Only restarting Emby fixes the problem.

Other hdhomerun_config.exe commands worked when setting a program to record, but did not work with an unreleased tuner.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:37 PM, globe123 said:
  •  
  • 1 post

This is a great program!!  I used Beyond TV and then HDhomerun DVR previous to finding Emby.

When Emby does not release one of the HDHomerun tuners, the CPU goes to 100% (Emby at 32%, System at 68% +- 5%)  and will continue until Emby is restarted. Upon restarting Emby, the CPU usage goes very low (5%). Nothing is recording and nothing set to record. OS is Windows 10 and the Emby version is 4.5.4.0. I uncheck the "Enable DLNA Play to" box, as this was also causing the CPU to go to 100%. (found this in another post). No recordings were being view when this happens. This happens 2 to 3 times per week.

embyserver-63745982623.txt 10.32 MB · 0 downloads

Hi @globe123, so you have 19 recordings here which makes it a little hard to troubleshoot. Can you restart the server and get the problem to repeat itself with the least amount of activity possible? Thanks.

Jason'sEmby

So after about 10 people on tonight and a ton of Channel changes, it's 97% effective. I'm still left with one channel that's stuck at the end of the night. So 4.5.2.0 is not the Holy Grail but it's a lot better. Definitely can be used as a daily driver but still is not perfect. Only real solution is to get rid of Roku. That's what I'm going to do tomorrow🚽

Jason'sEmby
6 hours ago, Luke said:

There's not going to be any difference in this between 4.5.2 and 4.5.4.

I thought it was having more issues with 4.5.4. But I just upgraded back to it and I'm going to give it a shot. @Luke would you possibly, pretty please with a cherry on top be willing to add the server reboot option back as a plug-in this would help immensely on tuner release problems until they're fully resolved. I would be able to put this back into a schedule option. Waking up in the morning early to reboot the server is getting tedious and it's only been a week so far.

rbjtech

If you run emby as a service - why not schedule a restart that way ?  My only concern would be this is not graceful and may break things..

Others ways are via the API to do a graceful restart - this could be run on a Windows schedule and fire a curl command. (which is probably exactly what the reboot plugin does..)

Jason'sEmby
2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Others ways are via the API to do a graceful restart - this could be run on a Windows schedule and fire a curl command. (which is probably exactly what the reboot plugin does..)

This would be something interesting but this is out of my league LOL. 

Not as hard as you think.  Check out this thread to get pointed in the right direction.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jason'sEmby said:

would you possibly, pretty please with a cherry on top be willing to add the server reboot option back

Please wait for the next beta of the server and, hopefully, this won't be necessary.

• Like 1

globe123
21 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi @globe123, so you have 19 recordings here which makes it a little hard to troubleshoot. Can you restart the server and get the problem to repeat itself with the least amount of activity possible? Thanks.

Hi Luke,

This problem happens most ( perhaps all) of the time when there is no human interaction with the computer. I would have no idea how to get this to happen.

It did happen yesterday, and from the HDhomerun tuner logs I have the time frame it occurred. The tuner log is in GMT, I am in MST, 7 hrs difference. A 1 hr program recorded at 15:59 and should have stopped at 17:00. At ~18:00 I noticed the CPU at 100% (fan is quite loud), tuner2 is on,  and not programs scheduled in the guide to record. The date is 01/20/21. There is an error report at 16:30. I attached 1) word document with the tuner log, 2) Emby log for this date and time range and 3) an Excel file of a different tuner log that shows Emby made 328 requests over 8 hrs to open a tuner. HDhomerun would open the tuner, then close it for no data. 3 lines repeat.

Will this Work???

Thank You

embyserver-63746763245- 01 20 2021.txt HDhomerun tuner log in GMT 7 hrs ahead of MDT.docx Tuner not released.xlsx

globe123
10 hours ago, rbjtech said:

If you run emby as a service - why not schedule a restart that way ?  My only concern would be this is not graceful and may break things..

Could this be done by first determining what Emby's is doing , such as no recording of a program?

2 hours ago, globe123 said:

Hi Luke,

This problem happens most ( perhaps all) of the time when there is no human interaction with the computer. I would have no idea how to get this to happen.

It did happen yesterday, and from the HDhomerun tuner logs I have the time frame it occurred. The tuner log is in GMT, I am in MST, 7 hrs difference. A 1 hr program recorded at 15:59 and should have stopped at 17:00. At ~18:00 I noticed the CPU at 100% (fan is quite loud), tuner2 is on,  and not programs scheduled in the guide to record. The date is 01/20/21. There is an error report at 16:30. I attached 1) word document with the tuner log, 2) Emby log for this date and time range and 3) an Excel file of a different tuner log that shows Emby made 328 requests over 8 hrs to open a tuner. HDhomerun would open the tuner, then close it for no data. 3 lines repeat.

Will this Work???

Thank You

embyserver-63746763245- 01 20 2021.txt 10.86 MB · 1 download HDhomerun tuner log in GMT 7 hrs ahead of MDT.docx 15.53 kB · 0 downloads Tuner not released.xlsx 23.08 kB · 1 download

What recording at 15:59 was supposed to run until 17:00? Because the only recording at that time was for 30 minutes and it looks like that one did close.

2 hours ago, globe123 said:

Hi Luke,

Will this Work???

Thank You

embyserver-63746763245- 01 20 2021.txt 10.86 MB · 2 downloads HDhomerun tuner log in GMT 7 hrs ahead of MDT.docx 15.53 kB · 0 downloads Tuner not released.xlsx 23.08 kB · 1 download

Can you attach plain text version of those doc/xls files?

Hi we need unedited server logs.

Sorry posted above already.

Edited by cayars

globe123
14 hours ago, Luke said:

What recording at 15:59 was supposed to run until 17:00? Because the only recording at that time was for 30 minutes and it looks like that one did close.

20210120-22:59:02 Tuner: tuner2 tuning 6.1 KRMADT1 (8vsb:587MHz-1) Start Recording of 1hr program

20210120-22:59:02 Tuner: tuner2 streaming http to 192.168.0.9:50735

This recording did not close. 22:59 is  GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) This is the time zone that HDhomerun uses in their logs. So translate this to the Emby log which is written in the local time zone, which for me is MST or 15:59

An event that occurred in the HDhomerun log at 22:59 occurred in the Emby log at 15:59. The recorded time in Emby is 7 hrs earlier than the recorded time in HDhomerun.

globe123

An event recorded in the Emby log is date stamped with a time in the MST zone (local time I assume), that same event is date stamped with a time in the GMT zone in the HDhomerun log

Emby Server log is what we need.

Sorry, see this log above!

Edited by cayars

18 hours ago, globe123 said:

There is an error report at 16:30. I attached

Is this the error you're referring to:

System.AggregateException: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. (Can't GetResult unless awaiter is completed.)

@Luke What is the "awaiter" ?

1 hour ago, globe123 said:

The Emby server log is unedited. I copy and pasted the HDhomerun log in notepad and save as a text file. The tuner not released.txt is unedited. Here is the complete HDhomerun log for which I gave you just a page with comments.

tuner not released entire log.txt 22.32 kB · 0 downloads

I think I know what's going on in your case, however I will need to add more logging to the server log in order to see more information and then resolve it. So that will require another release. But this logging will be in the next beta server if you'd like to try that.

• Like 1

To upgrade to BETA, yes you can swap the system folder.

As a precaution:

This beta has database changes in it so you can NOT revert back switching the system folders after Emby starts.
If you think you might want to revert back to the release you will want to take a complete backup of your emby folders (not media)

See the section "How to Backup Manually" in this KB article:
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

There should be no reason you would need to revert but just wanted to warn you upfront so you could be prepared.

.10 beta is already out so NO on that beta.  Luke is referring to the NEXT beta to hit as that will have the additional logging code he's going to add.