HDHomerun tuner not releasing, CPU at 100%

globe123

globe123
  • 1 post

This is a great program!!  I used Beyond TV and then HDhomerun DVR previous to finding Emby.

When Emby does not release one of the HDHomerun tuners, the CPU goes to 100% (Emby at 32%, System at 68% +- 5%)  and will continue until Emby is restarted. Upon restarting Emby, the CPU usage goes very low (5%). Nothing is recording and nothing set to record. OS is Windows 10 and the Emby version is 4.5.4.0. I uncheck the "Enable DLNA Play to" box, as this was also causing the CPU to go to 100%. (found this in another post). No recordings were being view when this happens. This happens 2 to 3 times per week.

embyserver-63745982623.txt

pwhodges

Do you ever watch the TV live?  If so, in what client, and how do you terminate it when you stop watching?  

Paul

I'd drop back to Emby version 4.5.2 because in fixing one thing the devs broke another and Emby will transcode LiveTV due to it being .ts format using 4.5.4.

Which model tuner are you using?

What device are your using as your client for playback?

globe123

The few times I have watched live TV using Emby  it did not release the tuner at the end of the program. Is there a special way you have to end Live TV using Emby?  I run Emby  in a Firefox browser for playback. The last time I watched Live TV, I used the HDHomerun software with no problems. The tuner model is Connect Quatro. I have two of them. One is about two years older than the other. How do you drop back to version 4.5.2

The "proper" way to exit Live TV on any client is to "GO BACK".  In a browser for example you can move the mouse to bring up the OSD.  There is a left arrow top left. Click it.

image.thumb.png.62518e5872e0fe19d488c293d210ce65.png

On a client such as Roku or Android hit the back button on the remote.

Doing it this way will IMMEDIATELY notify Emby you have stopped watching that channel and it can free up the tuner.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, globe123 said:

The few times I have watched live TV using Emby  it did not release the tuner at the end of the program. Is there a special way you have to end Live TV using Emby?  I run Emby  in a Firefox browser for playback. The last time I watched Live TV, I used the HDHomerun software with no problems. The tuner model is Connect Quatro. I have two of them. One is about two years older than the other. How do you drop back to version 4.5.2

rbjtech

If you have installed the HD HomeRun application - then you can reset all the tuners via the CLI below.

"c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe"  <HDHomeRunID> set /sys/restart self

I know this is not the fix, but maybe easier to reset the tuners than to restart emby to release them..

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

If you have installed the HD HomeRun application - then you can reset all the tuners via the CLI below.

"c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe"  <HDHomeRunID> set /sys/restart self

I know this is not the fix, but maybe easier to reset the tuners than to restart emby to release them..

I've been using HDHR tuners since May 2012 and I didn't know this.

I went and checked and sure enough 5 out of the 6 Prime Tuners I have were not released although a current recording ended right before running the above command and I personally witnessed the tuner get released on the Tuner page of the HDHR web GUI.

For Primes it is touch and go as you never know if the CableCARD and or Tuning Resolver (Adapter) will authorize on reboot.. This time they came back to life just fine though.

I will continue to monitor for un-released tuners going forward and report back.

15 hours ago, cayars said:

The "proper" way to exit Live TV on any client is to "GO BACK".  In a browser for example you can move the mouse to bring up the OSD.  There is a left arrow top left. Click it.

image.thumb.png.62518e5872e0fe19d488c293d210ce65.png

On a client such as Roku or Android hit the back button on the remote.

Doing it this way will IMMEDIATELY notify Emby you have stopped watching that channel and it can free up the tuner.

@ebr, I'll ask one more time about this, as it came up in another similar thread with a different issue...why can't we just get a "hard stop" button to take care of this across all clients? It just seems like it would be the best most efficient solution and pretty much minimize this issue.  The same goes for music and video file play.  A "hard stop" button that signals to the server to stop transmission of what ever file stream is on-going and an auto-time out  command for excessively long running streams would likely cut down a lot on any type of runaway stream problems as well as not leaving a user's device in limbo in the case where they didn't exit out of the emby app when they finished using the services.

At my house, I don't have a problem on how to properly/gracefully navigate through and exit out of emby.  But I am not always the one with the controller.  The rest of my family and definitely guest who are unfamiliar with the product don't understand what emby is and have been much more likely to leave the things running and in some type of resource wasting state when they have finished using but didn't know how to gracefully get out of things without just hitting and off button somewhere.  They're used to TVs only or TV and cable box where it's okay to leave a channel running on the cable box, as long as the TV is off.  If they don't see it then it isn't happening.  But with my system if the TV is off, it's possible that one of my emby clients is still busily hammering away playing a program that was left running (or as in the OPs case, left a HomeRun tuner in use).  It just seems like a hard stop button and some auto-stop commands could cut down on these runaway situations.

My 2cents

Ed

Just curious but is the "hard stop button" for the user or the admin to use?

I don't see how this would help at the user level as the problem is LEAVING the app abruptly when it's in a play state.

rbjtech

I don't use the LiveTV feature but is there not a 'Are you still watching ?' prompt ?  if not, then maybe after say 8 hours this should prompt, and if not gracefully close the stream ?

Depending on your viewing/recording habits, a quick fix may also to just schedule a reset of the tuners everyday.

The issue is the user has left the Roku app while playing Live TV using the "HOME" button or are using a Roku TV and turned off the TV during Live TV playback. The application on their Roku is no longer running. The server has mechanics to detect the keep-alive heartbeat has stopped on the Roku. The server is supposed to go end this stream. There was a problem with this happening in some conditions. Those conditions were mainly with Roku users. This affected primarily Roku users. The problem has been identified and will be corrected in the server. There was never a problem with this in the Roku application as it was always sending heartbeats. The server was fail to terminate ffmpeg and release the tuner. This will be corrected.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

I stopped using Roku's a long time ago as the AndroidTV app was better developed and this issue was one of the reasons why I stopped using it and sold all my Roku's. 

globe123

Sammy, 

In my Emby-Server folder I have system and system.old  System.old will go back to 4.5.3. I do not have the file Embyserver-win-x64-4.5.2.0.7z. I was looking at the download section of the Emby website and only found the 4.5.4.0.7z file. I did not download the 4.5.2.0.7z file to install Emby, so I don't have it. Where can it be found?

On 1/13/2021 at 10:02 AM, rbjtech said:

I tried this and it came back with "The system can not find the file specified"  I tried other queries:   Discover      This worked.

So you  inspired me to see what could be done from the HDHomerun GUI. Using the GUI, I went to  192.168.0.2\system.html,  for some reason,this released the hung tuner.

rbjtech

You need to install the HDHomeRun utilities first ...  ;)

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/hdhomerun_config

Once installed - then you get the <HDHomeRunID> from the webpage you listed above and substitute in the command line.

ie

"c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe"  1234567A set /sys/restart self

3 hours ago, globe123 said:

Sammy, 

In my Emby-Server folder I have system and system.old  System.old will go back to 4.5.3. I do not have the file Embyserver-win-x64-4.5.2.0.7z. I was looking at the download section of the Emby website and only found the 4.5.4.0.7z file. I did not download the 4.5.2.0.7z file to install Emby, so I don't have it. Where can it be found?

I tried this and it came back with "The system can not find the file specified"  I tried other queries:   Discover      This worked.

So you  inspired me to see what could be done from the HDHomerun GUI. Using the GUI, I went to  192.168.0.2\system.html,  for some reason,this released the hung tuner.

This is on the git but here you go..

embyserver-win-x64-4.5.2.0.7z

globe123

rbjtech:

From the link you supplied:

Windows (pre-compiled)

Download and install the HDHomeRun software for Windows. The hdhomerun_config.exe executable can be found in the program directory - default C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun.

I downloaded the software for windows. Installed it.  no change. I installed it using the repair settings. no change. I am using the command prompt as administrator. The app homerun_config.exe is being found but works only with Discover query. Very odd.

Here is the results:

(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\user2>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" <1079D96C> set /sys/restart self

The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Users\user2>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" <1079D96C> get help

C:\Users\user2>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" discover

hdhomerun device 10738415 found at 192.168.0.10

hdhomerun device 1079D96C found at 192.168.0.11

C:\Users\user2>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" <1079D96C> /tuner0/status

C:\Users\user2>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" <1079D96C> /tuner0/status

C:\Users\user2>cd/

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" <1079D96C> /tuner0/status

C:\>"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" <1079D96C> get help

C:\>

globe123

Got it, no <> brackets. It works. Takes less than a blink of the eye, much faster than resetting the Emby server. Thank you

• Like 1

globe123

An individual tuner can be turned off with:

"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" <tuner id> set /tuner<n>/channel none

i.e.  "C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" 1079D96C set /tuner3/channel none

This does not disturb the recording of other programs.

• Like 1

globe123

Sammy

Changing the system folders is a easy way to change versions. Nice program design!!  Now running 4.5.2.0 I had not looked at github.com before. Cool 👍 Thank You

Jason'sEmby

So 4.5.2.0 doesn't have the tuner release problem? I'm currently on the latest beta, what issues would I encounter reverting back?

1 minute ago, Jason'sEmby said:

What issues would I encounter reverting back?

We don't know because we don't actively test going back and forth in versions, although I can make educated guesses of content not showing up, things out of order, etc. A fresh install would be suggested if you're doing that.

Jason'sEmby
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

We don't know because we don't actively test going back and forth in versions, although I can make educated guesses of content not showing up, things out of order, etc. A fresh install would be suggested if you're doing that.

Thank you for the response! Without spending money on replacing all my Roku devices or an estimated time of completion on heartbeat, I'm going to take the leap of server unknown. It's only been a week and a half of identifying and sorting LOL. 

Jason'sEmby

The transwarp Portal to back in time worked! I'm now on 4.5.2.0 and the tuner release seems to be working fine. I opened a channel on Roku, clicked the home key and within about 5 Seconds the channel closed on the server and on the tuner, thank you to the Emby gods and the information provided above!!

Edited by Jason'sEmby