Unable to extract subtitles for some films

nanuk

crusher11

Once. They. Are. Extracted. They. Are. Cached.

JFC people. Yes, it'll take about ten minutes per UHD (although some are done in under three, I have no idea what the variables are here). I can deal with the setup time. That's not my issue.

My issue is that it isn't even trying to extract subs at this point. The process isn't starting, it's just trying to play back a VTT file that doesn't exist.

It's a cache crusher11, not permanent storage. What's in the cache today or tomorrow may not be next week,
That's the nature of a cache for temp speed up of things, not long term storage.

You're trying to use a feature in an unorthodox style it was never designed for.

If you want the subs outside of the media files do that outside of Emby with the proper tools for the job.
Using Emby to do this isn't the tool for the job.

pwhodges

Caches are, by definition, temporary.  You cannot rely on them keeping data for any particular time, not least because it depends on what other use is made of the cache.  Things may be removed from a cache (in general, I don't know how Emby has programmed this one) either/both by having an expiry time or by being displaced when the space is needed for a new use.

Paul

crusher11
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Your environment is not a candidate to use the on the fly extraction. I would just disable it and move on.

SRT support is practically nonexistent, not to mention the clutter it causes.

So basically, I need a new playback device - and to insist all my other users upgrade theirs - or I can't have subtitles?

Your machine isn't up to the task of subtracting these types of subs from the files.

1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

SRT support is practically nonexistent, not to mention the clutter it causes.

No clue what you mean by this but subrip/SRT support is about as good as you get support wise on devices.  They do not clutter but fit nicely in the same directory as your media.

These are the subtitles of choice to use.

2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

But that doesn't give me subtitles, that just gives me a different way of not having subtitles. 

It will burn them in with server transcoding. If there's an issue with that, then:

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Yes, but what language does Emby think it is? 

Whatever they are set to.

Why does it even matter?  An hour ago you were trying to extract other sub types to a cache which would not allow you to rename them in anyway.

https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001159160

crusher11
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

It will burn them in with server transcoding. If there's an issue with that, then:

Thanks.

Cool, now I don't have HDR anymore and my movie looks like shit. 

9 minutes ago, cayars said:

Whatever they are set to.

Why does it even matter?  An hour ago you were trying to extract other sub types to a cache which would not allow you to rename them in anyway.

https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44001159160

Embedded SUBRIP subs can have whatever name and other metadata I damn well please. 

2 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Embedded SUBRIP subs can have whatever name and other metadata I damn well please. 

Never said they couldn't, but so can your external subs as I just got done showing you that they can say whatever you want.

In case you aren't aware a subrip and SRT are the same thing.  One is internal and one external but the same.

External does however have better support by more players/devices.

If you can get SRT for your files you shouldn't even bother to worry about any other sub type so that you have no transcode worries.
If you don't want the external SRT for whatever reason you can import them into the media file as a subrip since you can easily do this both ways.

crusher11
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Never said they couldn't, but so can your external subs as I just got done showing you that they can say whatever you want.

No, they cannot. They can either have a name, or a language. Not both. 

You really like to make things difficult.

Let's think about this logically.  If watching TopGun (1986) and don't speak English you will want a Sub.

So if the sub simply says French, Spanish,  German that is the point.  You already know the movie name and can choose the language.

You could also rename the subs for things like Quiz, Q&A, Director's Notes.

Again I'm not sure why you NOW are hung up on naming when earlier today you had no control over any of this and was trying to extract subs to the cache.

Why don't you tell us your NEEDS and let us tell you how to achieve the result instead of having us go round and round in circles while you do thing the hard way.

crusher11
23 minutes ago, cayars said:

You really like to make things difficult.

Let's think about this logically.  If watching TopGun (1986) and don't speak English you will want a Sub.

So if the sub simply says French, Spanish,  German that is the point.  You already know the movie name and can choose the language.

You could also rename the subs for things like Quiz, Q&A, Director's Notes.

Again I'm not sure why you NOW are hung up on naming when earlier today you had no control over any of this and was trying to extract subs to the cache.

Why don't you tell us your NEEDS and let us tell you how to achieve the result instead of having us go round and round in circles while you do thing the hard way.

If I want Emby to select the subtitle track automatically based on my settings, Emby needs to know what language it is and whether or not it's forced.

Earlier today I had embedded SUBRIP subs with full metadata stored in the MKV files. I have no idea why you think I had no control over them.

You can do this with external subs or internal subrips.

I don't know why you think I've said you can't do anything with internal subs.  I've said nothing about them.  You brought them up, not me.

So you know you can use subrips/srt files.  You can set the language and mark them forced if needed.

What issue do you have? Seems you got things covered.