Unable to extract subtitles for some films

nanuk

crusher11

I would suggest that implementing a way to do it ahead of time would be a good idea. I got 10 minutes into Shoah before the subs started working. And at least there I know it worked because the whole thing is subtitled, whereas for something like Mission:Impossible it's a 4K file with forced subs in the opening scene and no subs the rest of the way, so how am I to know if I've played it for long enough?

rbjtech

Consider extracting the subs to an external .srt file.  This is what I always do and I don't have any issues playing any subs on my LG TV..  

An iterative ffmpeg script should easily be able to do this - there may be something in the tools section ..

Alternatively .. something like Bazaar can grab forced subs and add them as external files.  I don't think the sub grabber within emby can just grab forced subs ..

Edited by rbjtech

crusher11

I dislike having external files, because it's harder to name them and have them be consistent. I can have things tagged as forced, for various languages, and labeled as "SDH" or "Director Commentary" or whatever much easier if it's muxed in.

crusher11

Is there a way to know when the extraction is complete? For example if I'm watching something with a couple of lines of subtitled foreign dialog, so simply watching it until subs show up isn't as easy as it would be for an entirely-subtitled film.

rbjtech
On 02/12/2020 at 20:31, crusher11 said:

I dislike having external files, because it's harder to name them and have them be consistent. I can have things tagged as forced, for various languages, and labeled as "SDH" or "Director Commentary" or whatever much easier if it's muxed in.

You can do all that in external too by simply naming the extension correctly -  .forced, .en, .sdh,  etc -  https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159160-subtitles

Internal is ultimately neater I agree, but it's far less compatible as you are finding out.

crusher11

No, you can't, I've tried it. Spaces aren't allowed, and it treats the language code as part of the name rather than as a language designation.

4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

No, you can't, I've tried it. Spaces aren't allowed, and it treats the language code as part of the name rather than as a language designation.

spaces aren't allowed where?

crusher11

In named SRT files. For example, "Die Hard (1988).en.Director Commentary.srt" would show up in Emby as "Director". The "Director Commentary" portion causes it to ignore the language flag, and it's truncated at the space.

I believe. It's been a while since I did it, but it either truncates after a space or removes the space so it lists as "DirectorCommentary" or something like that.

rbjtech

All perfectly possible with a bit of knowledge ..

Use ALT 255 for 'space' (accepted by Emby) and put the language as part of the text.  Yes, messy and not as good as embedded subtitles with tags but possible as I said.

File name in my case is "Die Hard (1988) - HD 720p AC3.Directors Commentary (English)"

Untitled.png

• 2 weeks later...
crusher11

Same with Tenet.

And these are all the first time playing these films with subtitles, so it's not an issue with the cache or anything like that. The extraction just isn't working. Not sure about Batman Forever because I'm not sure how to pick out the right VTT file but I paid attention to that folder when I started Tenet and it created a file, but it never got above 1KB and Subtitle Edit says it's empty, even after playing the film for over half an hour.

embyserver.txt

crusher11

And Blade Runner 2049. Blade Runner extracted subs in a touch over four minutes, 2049 has been running for half an hour. No subs.

What's going on here?

crusher11

Originally posted in the LG section but I suspect it's a server thing not an app thing, I have several films where the subs simply won't extract:

FrostByte
On 12/10/2020 at 12:47 PM, rbjtech said:

All perfectly possible with a bit of knowledge ..

Use ALT 255 for 'space' (accepted by Emby) and put the language as part of the text.  Yes, messy and not as good as embedded subtitles with tags but possible as I said.

File name in my case is "Die Hard (1988) - HD 720p AC3.Directors Commentary (English)"

Wow, thanks.  I was playing around with external subtitle titles and the whole space thing not working was bugging me.  Now I don't need to use dashes (-) anymore between words

@cayars can this be added to the KB, under Other Names

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159160-subtitles

42 minutes ago, Bigmack3000 said:

Unrelated to this particular topic, but similar to alt 255, is there also a code to add a ":" to a file name?

Just use the 3 digit ASCII code for it.  Check out this page:
http://www.asciitable.com/