Unable to extract subtitles for some films

nanuk

Hi, we can't answer why something isn't working for you without see context. 

Show us a picture of you layout and file names so we know what you have.

crusher11
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Hi, we can't answer why something isn't working for you without see context. 

Show us a picture of you layout and file names so we know what you have.

WTF do layout and file names have to do with anything? I've provided four or five logs, how is that not sufficient? 

Sorry last couple messages I caught from you were about srt and not being able to get the space to show, then other SRT talk so that that's what you were asking for.

Going back I understand your question now.

So to recap, you see the subtitle listed and can choose it.
But it takes a long time for extraction to work on the fly and there is a delay for them to show up in the client?

If that's the case it's probably the reason why it says this:

Embedded subtitles can be extracted from videos and delivered to Emby apps in plain text in order to help prevent video transcoding. On some systems this can take a long time and cause video playback to stall during the extraction process. Disable this to have embedded subtitles burned in with video transcoding when they are not natively supported by the client device.

Doesn't sound like your video stalls but the extraction is slow. This features is not going to work well on all systems but is there for the systems that can handle it.

Edited by cayars

crusher11

It generally takes around four minutes to extract subtitles from a Blu-Ray and ten minutes to extract subtitles from a UHD. 

Gandhi is over three hours long and never successfully extracted subtitles. Most of the others I let run for over half an hour with no success. 

It sounds like your system is not going to be able to use this feature effectively.

You'll either need to burn them in via transcode or extract them out to a file outside of Emby. so they are already available.

Some systems just can't do the extraction on the fly.

crusher11

*sigh*

I'm going through an playing everything with SUBRIP subs so that they're extracted. Because yeah, it's not going to work in real time outside of small snippets of foreign dialogue late in the film. 

Most of them extract in under ten minutes. Then they're cached, and it's fine. 

Some films, however, just don't extract at all, even after multiple hours. 

So the question is why those few films aren't extracting subs if all other films are working just fine. 

That's a great question that I can't answer :)

My hunch would be there is some problem with the file or combinations of codecs or something Emby doesn't like.  But that's just a guess.
Any chance you could post a problem file or two so we could download it and use as a test file?

What's unlikely?

Aren't you running on a NAS unit?

What kind of CPU/GPU does it have?
Is it anything like an a typical I7 computer?

That's what is meant by not all servers will be able to handle extraction.
The hardware and all software is going to need FAST access to the file in order to extract it and that requires a FAST system.
Most NAS device likely can't do this.

crusher11

It's unlikely that I can post a file. 

Like I said it works fine for 99% of my films, so it's not the system that's the problem. 

How do we know this without trying to reproduce what your seeing?

You can surely upload a file to a file share and provide a link.
Otherwise we can't try to reproduce your issue.

rbjtech

They are showing an error for the titles you mentioned (tenet in this case).  It says 'time out' but that doesn't really point to the root cause.

I would use an external program (such as MKVExtract, 'EAC3to -demux' or something like that to manually demux the files to see if the source file does indeed have a problem.  If they don;t, then simply extract the command line from the log and try and manually try it (on the command line) to see what it does.

ie

<your path to ffmpeg here> ffmpeg -i file:"/volume1/Emby Libraries/Movies 4K/T/Tenet (2020)/Tenet (2020) - 4K HDR.mkv" -map 0:3 -an -vn "/volume1/Emby/test.vtt"

If this successfully runs (and you get a 'test.vtt' file) then 'something else' is causing the timeout.  If it fails, then it should at least give you a more descript error message.

---

2020-12-24 18:41:02.894 Error SubtitleEncoder: Error running ffmpeg-subtitle_extract -i file:"/volume1/Emby Libraries/Movies 4K/T/Tenet (2020)/Tenet (2020) - 4K HDR.mkv" -map 0:3 -an -vn "/volume1/Emby/cache/subtitles/4/415e6542ffa0bb952eb0166bd2a7bee4_637444011752721094_3_0_0_False.vtt"
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.6.0.10
    Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /volume1/Emby -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -updatepackage emby-server-synology_{version}_x86_64.spk
    Operating system: Linux version 4.4.59+ (root@build2) (gcc version 4.9.3 20150311 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) ) #25426 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 8 03:18:11 CST 2020
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.8
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 4
    Data path: /volume1/Emby
    Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
    System.TimeoutException: System.TimeoutException: Operation timed out after 600,000ms
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Subtitles.SubtitleEncoder.ExtractTextSubtitleInternal(String inputPath, String inputSubtitleCodec, Int32 subtitleStreamIndex, String outputCodec, String outputPath, Int64 startTimeTicks, Int64 endTimeTicks, Boolean preserveOriginalTimestamps, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: Emby.Server.MediaEncoding
    TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Running the ffmpeg process manually works just fine.

That a good thing.  How long did it take to extract on your test?

So that would indicate subtitle extraction isn't going to work on your system very efficiently.

crusher11

I don't care how efficient it is, if I get them all cached they're there for whenever they're needed. The question is why it sometimes takes hours.

I tried playing Tenet with subs again, this time they showed up in nine minutes.

I don't think these would cache but would run again the next time the extraction is needed. This is an "on the fly" extraction that can be used on systems with the right hardware.

If you want them pre-extracted you need to do that outside of Emby.

crusher11

But they do cache. There's literally a subtitle cache folder.

Tried Batman Forever again, since Tenet worked, but there are no subs and no new files in the subtitle cache folder. it's trying to load http://10.0.0.13:8096/emby/Videos/162786/3c5a0467ce1d74f5347e1e199383401b/Subtitles/4/0/Stream.vtt, but I have no idea what folder that is because it doesn't seem to exist and there's no 3c5... file in the subs cache. No sign of the subtitle extraction process being run.