Jump to content

EMBYFOR ANDROID TV CANNOT CONNECT AFTER ROUTER UPGRADE


Go to solution Solved by cayars,

Recommended Posts

Nofrills

Hello friends, first I would like to acknowledge that I have seen a similar topic on the forum but their solution is somewhat not applicable to me as I run emby on android devices and by the fact I'm noob at networking.

That said, this the problem:  I run emby server on one of my shield tv boxes and access the content on other android devices. So I recently upgraded my router to a new one which has a different host IP (192.168.0.1 from 192.168.8.1). After the upgrade the android apps cannot access my emby media. I have tried inputting the server IP manually but this only works with the emby app installed on the server shield box and I have to input IP every time I reboot or switch from LAN to wifi. However, if I input IP on Chrome on PC emby runs ok. How do I go about fixing the connection with android client apps? Why don't the apps automatically detect server IP like with the first router? Any help is much appreciated, regards :)

Edited by Nofrills
Additional info
Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

Hi, any reason you can't set the IP range in your new router to use the same address space you were using before?

With the new router and IP address range you will need to restart all your equipment so they pull the new IPs.  Have you done this?

Are you able to access Emby running on the Shield from a web browser on your network?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nofrills
12 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, any reason you can't set the IP range in your new router to use the same address space you were using before?

With the new router and IP address range you will need to restart all your equipment so they pull the new IPs.  Have you done this?

Are you able to access Emby running on the Shield from a web browser on your network?

Hello, I have changed the IP to original IP host address and emby server actually chooses an IP similar to previous but the apps still wont connect and ask for manual IP entry everytime. Yes I can access emby on browser but not using the android apps. I have cleared the app caches and storage but still no automatic connection to emby server. Somehow all android clients cannot detect the server IP broadcasted by emby server?

UPDATE: I have momentarily  restored the old router but the apps still won't detect the server. I'm confused now lol...plex on the other hand still works on both routers but I hate it as it requires me to be online to watch offline content smh

UPDATE 2: So I tried changing local IP override in the app and I now believe I locked myself out of the server lol. Emby server will no longer broadcast any IP so I can't log in to revert settings. Frustrated and uninstalled, I believe that also destroyed my library? Lost cause now, thanks for the help anyways

Edited by Nofrills
Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars
3 hours ago, Nofrills said:

UPDATE 2: So I tried changing local IP override in the app and I now believe I locked myself out of the server lol. Emby server will no longer broadcast any IP so I can't log in to revert settings. Frustrated and uninstalled, I believe that also destroyed my library? Lost cause now, thanks for the help anyways

What you needed to do is "forget"/delete the existing server entry on Android and add it back again because it's now different.

I can likely help you remotely get this all working again.  If you like, send me a PM and we can make arrangements for a remote session.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Nofrills
1 hour ago, cayars said:

What you needed to do is "forget"/delete the existing server entry on Android and add it back again because it's now different.

I can likely help you remotely get this all working again.  If you like, send me a PM and we can make arrangements for a remote session.

I appreciate the offer, I will surely seek guidance when I regain the will to setting up the library again. Thank you 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Nofrills

@cayarsI'm back to trying emby. Are you able to advise on how to set up the android server and android client apps to automatically detect the server in the same local network? Why wouldn't it work like before with old router?

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

Hi, my own personal choice would be to run Emby on a PC and not on Android but that's just me.

In network, your clients should be able to discover the server or you can enter the IP/port directly and login with a local username/password.  I would stay away from using Emby Connect on a local network.

Carlo

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nofrills
11 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, my own personal choice would be to run Emby on a PC and not on Android but that's just me.

In network, your clients should be able to discover the server or you can enter the IP/port directly and login with a local username/password.  I would stay away from using Emby Connect on a local network.

Carlo

I understand. Unfortunately I don't have a second PC to run emby besides I'm worried about excessive power consumption in my country (Kenya). I bought two shield pros (2017 and 2019) specifically so that one can work as a media host+client and the other a client in the living room. I think it would be cheaper to change the router again?

Thanks for the advice and assistance though :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

OK First step is to choose the router you want to use and stick with it but don't keep changing back and forth.

Log into the Emby Server via Web browser and verify on the dashboard you have the correct IP for your LAN with the new router.

Make sure the other shield is on the same network IP address space.

Test and report back what happens.  Also if you have a mobile phone can you login to your Emby server with it using WIFI?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nofrills
16 minutes ago, cayars said:

OK First step is to choose the router you want to use and stick with it but don't keep changing back and forth.

Log into the Emby Server via Web browser and verify on the dashboard you have the correct IP for your LAN with the new router.

Make sure the other shield is on the same network IP address space.

Test and report back what happens.  Also if you have a mobile phone can you login to your Emby server with it using WIFI?

I wanted to use the new router because it has better speeds. The only reason I would change the router again is because of Emby. I have tried to setup emby again, the shields are all in the same ip address space. Emby automatically chooses the host ip and none of the android clients within the network can detect the server, all require manual connection every time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

OK but after you manually set them up does this stick?  Are you saving the login credentials?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nofrills
22 hours ago, cayars said:

OK but after you manually set them up does this stick?  Are you saving the login credentials?

It does stick for that particular session. However, if the router restarts or shield tv restarts, the latter gets assigned another IP, thereby necessitating manual entry of new IP to all clients, sigh 😔

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Solution
cayars

What you need to do is setup s permanent IP via DHCP in your router for the Shield TV.

Even better is to setup permanent IP DHCP assignments for all your computers and devices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nofrills
4 hours ago, cayars said:

What you need to do is setup s permanent IP via DHCP in your router for the Shield TV.

Even better is to setup permanent IP DHCP assignments for all your computers and devices.

Thanks but I will try different routers before I embark on setting IP addresses for every item on the network. Just want it to work as easily as before. I appreciate all the advice though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

That's crazy and will just cause you grief.  You only need to create a "fixed" IP for your servers, not every device.

Some people pre-assign IPs to different devices so they know by IP if it's a server, NAS, client, computer, etc.

BUT you need your Emby server to be unchanging so assign it a reserved IP in your router which takes a minute or so to do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Nofrills
15 hours ago, cayars said:

That's crazy and will just cause you grief.  You only need to create a "fixed" IP for your servers, not every device.

Some people pre-assign IPs to different devices so they know by IP if it's a server, NAS, client, computer, etc.

BUT you need your Emby server to be unchanging so assign it a reserved IP in your router which takes a minute or so to do.

I have set a fixed IP for the server only as per your advice. So far so good it works well. I am really grateful for the guidance 😊

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

Nice, that will completely stop the IP from changing on you.  If you ever replace the router, assign the IP again via a reserved DHCP address and do the port forwarding and things should just work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nofrills
17 hours ago, cayars said:

Nice, that will completely stop the IP from changing on you.  If you ever replace the router, assign the IP again via a reserved DHCP address and do the port forwarding and things should just work. 

This is well noted. I am so grateful :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...