embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

Nosepull

Restarting Emby while Kodi is running leads to excessive CPU usage

I run Kodi (natively) and Emby (podman container) on Ubuntu 21.10 / x64. With all versions of this plugin I have the problem that restarting the Emby container leads to Kodi gradually using more and more CPU until Kodi blocks the computer completely. There is no other symptom, Kodi can e.g. access Emby normally.  The logs seem normal, too.

Restarting Kodi brings CPU back to normal. The workaround is simple, restart Kodi after a restart of Emby, but as I update the containers automatically, it is annoying.

Has anybody else this problem?

quickmic
11 hours ago, Nosepull said:

Restarting Emby while Kodi is running leads to excessive CPU usage

I run Kodi (natively) and Emby (podman container) on Ubuntu 21.10 / x64. With all versions of this plugin I have the problem that restarting the Emby container leads to Kodi gradually using more and more CPU until Kodi blocks the computer completely. There is no other symptom, Kodi can e.g. access Emby normally.  The logs seem normal, too.

Restarting Kodi brings CPU back to normal. The workaround is simple, restart Kodi after a restart of Emby, but as I update the containers automatically, it is annoying.

Has anybody else this problem?

I'll check that.

markdj
On 5/30/2022 at 7:05 PM, markdj said:

This seems to have worked for now. Will try a few more times and report back.

Sorry for the very late reply but everything seems to work fine now. Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

wanderjarra

kodi.log

I have a problem with my movie list being duplicated, it was normal and after a new boot it simply duplicated during synchronization.
Follow the log to help resolve this.
Corelec 9.2.8 + Emby Next Gen 6.2.17

• Like 1

quickmic
2 hours ago, wanderjarra said:

kodi.log 1.89 MB · 0 downloads

I have a problem with my movie list being duplicated, it was normal and after a new boot it simply duplicated during synchronization.

Usually this happens when Kodi was turned off while syncing and video DB was updated but Kodi's emby db was not proper closed.

However, I see an issue in the log related to a special character in your library names. It might also cause a the same issue as described before.

This only affects Kodi 18 boxes. I'll fix it in next version.

quickmic
12 hours ago, wanderjarra said:

kodi.log 1.89 MB · 2 downloads

I've send you a test version via PM. I hope this fixes the special character issue.

Please send me a Kodi.log for review after sync.

thanks

quickmic

New beta version available 6.2.18

delta changelog:
fix Special character issue for Kodi 18

quickmic

new experimental version available 6.2.19: (only via sideload)

delta changelog:

backport unwatched/watched/progress updates from 7.x versions.

Comment:

Please try this version an keep an eye on unwatched/watched/progress updates. I think all issues related to this matter should be fixed.

GavinCampbell

Hi @quickmic,

Recently my server has been spiking and sucking up all the memory in my system.  I've seen it grab in excess of 12 GB before it ran out at times.  I have since limited the docker to 6GB but its easily hitting that as well.

I have been troubleshooting this and removed all plugins etc with no luck.  I did however find that it was happening as soon as I launched Kodi and it kicked off a sync with the server.  It would go from 200mb of memory right up to 4.5gb before erroring out.  I was having the issue with 6.2.15 but just upgraded to 6.2.18 and still see it.  I am including the most recent debug log for review where you can see it error out with an OOM error.

I can replicate the issue too just by launching Kodi and forcing a resync.

Any idea's?

embyserver(4).txt

quickmic
1 hour ago, GavinCampbell said:

Hi @quickmic,

Recently my server has been spiking and sucking up all the memory in my system.  I've seen it grab in excess of 12 GB before it ran out at times.  I have since limited the docker to 6GB but its easily hitting that as well.

I have been troubleshooting this and removed all plugins etc with no luck.  I did however find that it was happening as soon as I launched Kodi and it kicked off a sync with the server.  It would go from 200mb of memory right up to 4.5gb before erroring out.  I was having the issue with 6.2.15 but just upgraded to 6.2.18 and still see it.  I am including the most recent debug log for review where you can see it error out with an OOM error.

I can replicate the issue too just by launching Kodi and forcing a resync.

Any idea's?

embyserver(4).txt 75.97 kB · 1 download

Frankly this doesn't sound like a plugin issue. Have you recently updated Emby server?

I would try a manual scan on Emby an see if this causes a similar issue.

The log seems ok, beside the oom error at the end.

Which device id (in your log) performed a sync? Seems they are masked with "host1", "host2" etc.

Also you can try a staggered sync. Don't sync ALL via plugin. Select library by library and observe Emby server.

GavinCampbell
6 hours ago, quickmic said:

Frankly this doesn't sound like a plugin issue. Have you recently updated Emby server?

I would try a manual scan on Emby an see if this causes a similar issue.

The log seems ok, beside the oom error at the end.

Which device id (in your log) performed a sync? Seems they are masked with "host1", "host2" etc.

Also you can try a staggered sync. Don't sync ALL via plugin. Select library by library and observe Emby server.

Emby server is running in a docker.  Its kept up to date and on the latest version.  But I also opened another thread and they can't see anything in the debug logs.

The manual scan works fine.  

I'm not sure why its host1 and host2 but I know the two instances I was playing with.  They both are configured exactly the same except for the emby guild that is how its differentiated.  They have the same plugins and configurations except for the physical hardware itself.

I'll try the staggered sync and see.  Thats an idea.

At this point, I left my emby server on all night and its using very little memory (183MB).  None of my Kodi istances are running.  I then launced one of them and let it connect and do its thing.  I can see the server jump to 1GB within 10s and max out within the minute.

I'll continue to investigate it further.

quickmic
3 hours ago, GavinCampbell said:

Emby server is running in a docker.  Its kept up to date and on the latest version.  But I also opened another thread and they can't see anything in the debug logs.

The manual scan works fine.  

I'm not sure why its host1 and host2 but I know the two instances I was playing with.  They both are configured exactly the same except for the emby guild that is how its differentiated.  They have the same plugins and configurations except for the physical hardware itself.

I'll try the staggered sync and see.  Thats an idea.

At this point, I left my emby server on all night and its using very little memory (183MB).  None of my Kodi istances are running.  I then launced one of them and let it connect and do its thing.  I can see the server jump to 1GB within 10s and max out within the minute.

I'll continue to investigate it further.

Thanks for the log.

The only odd thing is this line:

2022-06-14 09:22:56.801 T:15324   DEBUG <general>: DEBUG: EMBY.emby.http: [ http response 500 / {'url': 'http://192.168.1.2:8096/emby/Users/32d7c347682a4a09b61ded28d168b2c8/Items/bf86f52bf7652a20a294e1b3fc462af8', 'headers': {'Content-type': 'application/json', 'Accept-Charset': 'UTF-8,*', 'Accept-encoding': 'gzip', 'User-Agent': 'Emby-next-gen/6.2.18', 'Authorization': 'Emby Client=Emby-next-gen, Device=Kodi%20%28Server10%29, DeviceId=5742e61f-4da9-478b-b470-586bbebb61e8, Version=6.2.18, UserId=32d7c347682a4a09b61ded28d168b2c8', 'X-Emby-Token': 'MYTOKEN'}, 'timeout': 120} ]

response "500" is an internal server error (coming from Emby server.)

No idea whats wrong. I'll let you know if I find anything else.

GavinCampbell

Thanks.  I wonder if its getting the 500 at the time it runs out of memory.

I had limited the Docker to only allow 6GB which should be more than enough and it hits it within a minute or so of starting the client.

Do you want me to go ahead and rebuild my emby server?  I'll just create a fresh configuration and see if this still occurs?  Actually, I can probably still do this and preserve the old config easily.

quickmic
1 hour ago, GavinCampbell said:

Thanks.  I wonder if its getting the 500 at the time it runs out of memory.

I had limited the Docker to only allow 6GB which should be more than enough and it hits it within a minute or so of starting the client.

Do you want me to go ahead and rebuild my emby server?  I'll just create a fresh configuration and see if this still occurs?  Actually, I can probably still do this and preserve the old config easily.

Go ahead, I still think it's not related to the plugin. Actually I would be very surprised if the plugin causes the issue.

Plugin just queries data from Emby server and should never result on heavy memory consumption on Emby server. Also never experienced such a behavior myself or anyone else reported a similar case.

Edited by quickmic

GavinCampbell
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

Go ahead, I still think it's not related to the plugin. Actually I would be very surprised if the plugin causes the issue.

Plugin just queries data from Emby server and should never result on heavy memory consumption on Emby server. Also never experienced myself such a behavior or anyone else reported a similar case.

Well good news.

Rebuilt the emby server from scratch and the issue is no longer occuring.  There must have been some kind of db corruption causing the queries to eat up all of the memory.  I'll keep an eye on it but I'm pretty sure its resolved now because it was pretty easy to duplicate. 

Thanks again for the help.

• Thanks 1

quickmic

New beta version available 6.2.20:

delta changes

backport progress updates from 7.X

hstamas
On 3/23/2022 at 11:22 AM, quickmic said:

Not yet, but I put that on the feature request list for 7.x

Anything come of this Mic? I am getting back into Kodi after falling back to the native app and would love to be able to filter by tags as discussed. I am currently using your v7 plugin.

quickmic
17 minutes ago, hstamas said:

Anything come of this Mic? I am getting back into Kodi after falling back to the native app and would love to be able to filter by tags as discussed. I am currently using your v7 plugin.

This is already possible in 7.x. via dynamic nodes -> "episode tags"

• Like 1

GavinCampbell

Another day, another question.  STRM files.

I have a folder of stream files and they are imported into an EMBY library and properly tagged with metadata.  They sync fine to Kodi and show up as expected.  However, in addon mode they won't play.  The server returns a 500 error.  In native mode they do work obviously because kodi uses them directly.  They also work fine in emby through the web interface.

An idea on how to get this working? Or is it a something that won't work (I tried reading all the threads and couldn't figure this out)?

quickmic

They should work, but only if Emby server can play them as well. Can you play those files via Emby WebUI?

GavinCampbell
31 minutes ago, quickmic said:

They should work, but only if Emby server can play them as well. Can you play those files via Emby WebUI?

Yup they work in the emby UI... just not through kodi when using addon mode.  Everything syncs fine too.

In the logs I get the following error.

ERROR <general>: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: HTTP returned error 500

quickmic

Hard to say, error 500 is an internal server error (from Emby server)

hstamas
On 6/16/2022 at 8:08 AM, quickmic said:

This is already possible in 7.x. via dynamic nodes -> "episode tags"

Nice! Thank you!

Can you use these in a smart playlist? I dont see the nodes available when I go to create one unless Im not looking in the right place?

Again what I am attempting to do is to create a playlist that will NOT play anything with a certain episode tag associated with it.

quickmic
16 hours ago, hstamas said:

Nice! Thank you!

Can you use these in a smart playlist? I dont see the nodes available when I go to create one unless Im not looking in the right place?

Again what I am attempting to do is to create a playlist that will NOT play anything with a certain episode tag associated with it.

I don't use smart playlists, but I assume yes.

t123thomas

Hi Quickmic, I noticed, that 6.2.2 is constantly disconnecting from server, it disconnect and reestablish again in short period.

Log