embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

quickmic

Well first, please disable "service.languagepreferencemanager". This plugin crashes, shouldn't affect the sync but who knows.

About sync: I see one issue but also not related to an missing episode.

"Louis Theroux" is not "correct" on Emby server. Seems to be an empty tvshow.

Do you know the name of the missing episode?

I assume: The episode was received in realtime but not added. Was the Kodi box online when you added the episode?

If yes, set back the sync date in config menu by around 2 days (Before the episode was added). Stop Kodi, start Kodi, wait a few minutes (till sync is finished) and send me that log too.

The episode was synced after restart?

Edited by quickmic

jimbobjones
2 hours ago, quickmic said:

Well first, please disable "service.languagepreferencemanager". This plugin crashes, shouldn't affect the sync but who knows.

can try this, although it's really something I like a lot, and if it doesn't impact sync I'd definitely use it.

"Louis Theroux" is not "correct" on Emby server. Seems to be an empty tvshow.

Deleted this, there were some leftover .nfo files in a season directory.

I assume: The episode was received in realtime but not added. Was the Kodi box online when you added the episode?

Kodi box was online the whole time. So at 12.30pm Emby had Severance S01E07 added, and at 1.29pm Severance was not showing as a recent episode.  I then played High Stakes Poker for a few seconds. I then stopped High Stakes Poker (and as I did, I saw an Emby sync flash at the top of the screen), and then Severance was now showing as the most recent episode added in Kodi. Didn't need to restart the box, only start/stop an episode. I then connected to Kodi box to get kodi.log

Edited by jimbobjones

markdj

I have an issue with Trakt through Emby I think. Even if I watch just a few minutes of a movie it gets marked as ‘watched’. It seems this has been happening for a few weeks now and it only applies to movies.

anyone else having this issue?

quickmic
17 minutes ago, markdj said:

I have an issue with Trakt through Emby I think. Even if I watch just a few minutes of a movie it gets marked as ‘watched’. It seems this has been happening for a few weeks now and it only applies to movies.

anyone else having this issue?

Is the progress status correct on Emby server and Kodi?

markdj
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

Is the progress status correct on Emby server and Kodi?

These are all movies that were just started for a few seconds so progress status isn’t saved unfortunately. They start from the beginning, but got marked anyway.

wso277
9 hours ago, markdj said:

These are all movies that were just started for a few seconds so progress status isn’t saved unfortunately. They start from the beginning, but got marked anyway.

I saw this happening as well, but thought it was an issue with using cinema intros.

Quickmic some feedback on the intros, no more crashes but still seems to be a bit unstable especially when playing via a tmdb widget. Seems like tmdb just assumes the trailer or intro is the full movie and playback finishes as soon as it ends. Don't know if it's something that can be solved on this addon, but unfortunately ended up disabling the intros again. Even playing directly from the library some times the movie just doesn't start after the trailer/intro.

markdj
3 hours ago, wso277 said:

I saw this happening as well, but thought it was an issue with using cinema intros.

Quickmic some feedback on the intros, no more crashes but still seems to be a bit unstable especially when playing via a tmdb widget. Seems like tmdb just assumes the trailer or intro is the full movie and playback finishes as soon as it ends. Don't know if it's something that can be solved on this addon, but unfortunately ended up disabling the intros again. Even playing directly from the library some times the movie just doesn't start after the trailer/intro.

Thanks for confirming. Since I don’t use cinema intros the problem lies almost certainly with the plug-in :)

quickmic
12 hours ago, markdj said:

Thanks for confirming. Since I don’t use cinema intros the problem lies almost certainly with the plug-in :)

Currently I cannot reproduce the trakt issue.

I need exact details.

General info. The plugin doesn't communicate with trakt. It reports the progress to Emby server and Emby server syncs with trakt.

Emby-server movie status should match trakt. A testcase can be designed, by monitoring Emby server movie status. That's what I did, and no issue in my case.

Restarted Kodi, no plugins installed (beside next-gen otherwise stock).

Start a movie, seek to 1 minute, wait 10 seconds, stop the movie.

Kodi reports unwatched and not in progress. Emby server unwatched, no progress and trakt does also reflect Emby server status. Everything is fine, so please send me exact instructions and very important. Use stock Kodi for tests otherwise it's always guessing what causes an issue.

Use a PC, Mac, Linux to perform tests.

quickmic
16 hours ago, wso277 said:

Seems you have a special case. I always test with a "regular" case. This mean enable intro, start a movie and check.

No issues here, but seems you are using a different approach -> "playing via tmdb widget" btw, I don't know what you exactly mean by that.

How intros works:

Start movie -> plugin check if intro -> if available -> return intro URL to Kodi (at this point, Kodi thinks it's playing the movie, even if it's actually the intro therefore -> Kodi repeat mode is enabled.)

Intro playback finished (Kodi still thinks it was the movie, due to repeat mode) -> Kodi request playback of same movie -> plugin checks again if another trailer available -> looping till no more trailers -> return the actual movie URL and disable repeat mode.

I skipped several details, but the concept should be clear.

I'm guessing, the repeat mode was disabled by "playing via tmdb widget" therefore one intro played and stopped at this point.

Edited by quickmic

markdj
17 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Currently I cannot reproduce the trakt issue.

I need exact details.

General info. The plugin doesn't communicate with trakt. It reports the progress to Emby server and Emby server syncs with trakt.

Emby-server movie status should match trakt. A testcase can be designed, by monitoring Emby server movie status. That's what I did, and no issue in my case.

Restarted Kodi, no plugins installed (beside next-gen otherwise stock).

Start a movie, seek to 1 minute, wait 10 seconds, stop the movie.

Kodi reports unwatched and not in progress. Emby server unwatched, no progress and trakt does also reflect Emby server status. Everything is fine, so please send me exact instructions and very important. Use stock Kodi for tests otherwise it's always guessing what causes an issue.

Use a PC, Mac, Linux to perform tests.

Apologies, it doesn’t seem to be a Trakt issue, but an issue with Emby itself. Using a Shield. I’ll do some further tests and get back, but the movie progress, even if just seen for a few seconds, gets reported to Emby as being ‘watched’. I’ll get back to you.

• Like 1

quickmic
On 3/18/2022 at 3:08 AM, Embyjunky said:

Hello All,

I am not sure this is Emby for Kodi issue but I dont have this problem in Emby so I start it here. I have run Emby Server for MANY years but recently experience these endless scans and multiple entries. Have you seen this issue before?

20220316_184800.jpg

20220316_184816.jpg

20220316_185331.jpg

Do you have any of these characters as a (Emby) library name? If yes, rename the library:

/ (forward slash)
 < (less than)
  > (greater than)
  : (colon - sometimes works, but is actually NTFS Alternate Data Streams)
  " (double quote)
  / (forward slash)
  \ (backslash)
  | (vertical bar or pipe)
  ? (question mark)
  * (asterisk)

There is a bug if you using them as a lib name, I'll fix it in next version.

quickmic

New (beta) version available 6.2.14:

delta changelog:

fix forbidden characters for file folder names

6.2.13 is pushed to stable repo.

wso277
7 hours ago, quickmic said:

Seems you have a special case. I always test with a "regular" case. This mean enable intro, start a movie and check.

No issues here, but seems you are using a different approach -> "playing via tmdb widget" btw, I don't know what you exactly mean by that.

How intros works:

Start movie -> plugin check if intro -> if available -> return intro URL to Kodi (at this point, Kodi thinks it's playing the movie, even if it's actually the intro therefore -> Kodi repeat mode is enabled.)

Intro playback finished (Kodi still thinks it was the movie, due to repeat mode) -> Kodi request playback of same movie -> plugin checks again if another trailer available -> looping till no more trailers -> return the actual movie URL and disable repeat mode.

I skipped several details, but the concept should be clear.

I'm guessing, the repeat mode was disabled by "playing via tmdb widget" therefore one intro played and stopped at this point.

By "playing via a tmdb widget" I mean I have a custom skin with a widget that pulls recommendations via a tmdb addon and I hit play directly from that (which seems to trigger a slightly different metadata source than the one in my synced library).

So I think your guess with repeat mode makes sense, probably the widget/addon in between messing it up.

Can I set repeat mode in the player by hand?  That would probably work just for me to confirm   

quickmic
2 hours ago, wso277 said:

By "playing via a tmdb widget" I mean I have a custom skin with a widget that pulls recommendations via a tmdb addon and I hit play directly from that (which seems to trigger a slightly different metadata source than the one in my synced library).

So I think your guess with repeat mode makes sense, probably the widget/addon in between messing it up.

Can I set repeat mode in the player by hand?  That would probably work just for me to confirm   

I only know, how todo that if you select the playlist view. There is an option for repeat etc.

Embyjunky
18 hours ago, quickmic said:

New (beta) version available 6.2.14:

delta changelog:

fix forbidden characters for file folder names

6.2.13 is pushed to stable repo.

Thanks.

I believe it has some weird characters in my Anime collection. I will try a new version soon and reply back. 

• Like 1

linds1234
On 24/03/2022 at 06:06, jimbobjones said:

just wondering what the problem might be - been running emby next-gen (6.2.13) in CoreElec 19.4-Matrix

I will download a tv episode, a few seconds later, the emby server will see the file and add it to the library. Sometimes emby-nextgen will get the new episode fairly quickly, and other times , like yesterday, 6 hours after downloading an episode and being imported into the emby library, the content still wasn't visible in Kodi. When I reboot my kodi box, it obviously connects to Emby after bootup, and that show is now there. Not sure why it stops talking to the server during that six hour period? Or new episodes aren't being pushed or whatever?

I have noticed this many times, and getting sick of it so wondering if others are seeing this.

I've got this problem as well. Hard to say when exactly it started. Feels like in the last month or so. I've just let the addon update itself for years, perhaps when the first "next-gen" version came in?

I'm running LibreElec 10.0.2 (Matrix 19.4), but it had the same behaviour on 10.0.1 as well. 

After rebooting the box, the updates show up. And at this point, I can see the device under "Active Devices" in the Emby Dashboard. If I add something new to the Emby library at this point, it usually flows through via the websocket connection pretty quickly.

At a guess, after the box is left on say overnight, the device is no longer active according to the Emby Dashboard. It's like the websocket connection has been broken and never re-connects. 

I've tried deleting all devices from the Emby Dashboard as suggested previously. Then on the Kodi device, I reset the device ID, establish a new connection, reset the DB, resync the library, but it makes no difference.

Did you find a fix for it @jimbojones ?

Sounds like I need to start collecting logs.

Edit: The device falls out of "Active Devices" in the Emby Dashboard way earlier, probably 30mins to 1hr tops.

Edited by linds1234
words

quickmic
18 minutes ago, linds1234 said:

I've got this problem as well. Hard to say when exactly it started. Feels like in the last month or so. I've just let the addon update itself for years, perhaps when the first "next-gen" version came in?

I'm running LibreElec 10.0.2 (Matrix 19.4), but it had the same behaviour on 10.0.1 as well. 

After rebooting the box, the updates show up. And at this point, I can see the device under "Active Devices" in the Emby Dashboard. If I add something new to the Emby library at this point, it usually flows through via the websocket connection pretty quickly.

At a guess, after the box is left on say overnight, the device is no longer active according to the Emby Dashboard. It's like the websocket connection has been broken and never re-connects. 

I've tried deleting all devices from the Emby Dashboard as suggested previously. Then on the Kodi device, I reset the device ID, establish a new connection, reset the DB, resync the library, but it makes no difference.

Sounds like I need to start collecting logs.

I just need one kodi.log but it must include the not synced episode. When you add an episode it should appear quite soon in Kodi. Quite soon means, as Emby server has synced it and I don't know how you sync. Could be manually sync trigger or realtime sync on Emby however.

As soon as the episode is not synced in a reasonable time (minutes not hours) after EMby server detected the episode, grab the Kod.log.

No Kodi reboot, no manual sync nothing. This would mess up the kodi.log and makes it useless for me. Maybe also copy the Kodi.old.log just in case.

Edited by quickmic

linds1234

Hi @quickmic 

Thanks for the quick reply

I've been doing a lot of tests this morning to try and get some consistency for you to work with.

But what seems to be the pattern is, if the NAS is turned off at the time that the Kodi box does a restart (or powers on) it obviously can't connect to the Emby Server, but there is no attempt in the logs at this point to re-connect once its turned back on.

When I turn the NAS back on, then download a new episode, I can see it added to the Emby Library, but it never shows up on the Kodi box and the kodi.log file is not showing any attempts to establish the connection again, after its initial failed to connect attempt on its first power-up/restart.

When I compare this behaviour to an older kodi box running in another room (18.9 Kodi for Emby Addon 4.1.21), you can see a big difference in the log file there in that it will constantly try to re-establish a connection to the server once its broken. This Kodi box never fails to sync via a websockets connection.

Attached are the Kodi.log files for both, and the extended one for the one with issues.

Cheers,

Lindsay

kodi.log kodi.old.log kodi-old emby addon.log

jimbobjones
22 hours ago, linds1234 said:

no, not yet.

very annoying

After rebooting the box, the updates show up

I used to reboot, but now, I think I have found you can start any episode, and then stop it. Then the missing show will come through. Does this work for you?

Maybe it recreates the connection with Emby I don't know. Still annoying and not a fix.

Edited by jimbobjones

quickmic

@linds1234

When Emby server is offline when Kodi start, that's indeed a problem. I think I can fix that, but not sure if this the "only" issue.

Is everything working correctly when Emby server was online on Kodi startup?

If the connection drops while Kodi is running, connection should always be re-established.

Can you confirm that?

@jimbobjones

Do you have the same case?

quickmic
13 minutes ago, linds1234 said:

@quickmic

I'll set the NAS to not turn off overnight and see how it behaves.

You can keep it turned off, but don't turn off Kodi.

Nas online -> turn on Kodi -> Kodi should be connected at this point. Now you can turn off NAS any time.

The point is. When Kodi is turned on, Nas must be available. After init connection, Kodi will/should have no problems with re-connections.

To make it absolute clear. When Kodi starts up, Emby must be available. After startup and connected to Emby, you can drop the Emby server connection any time and how long you wish. This should not have an impact, but no connection on Kodi start is a "problem". Actually it was per design but I can change that.

linds1234
34 minutes ago, quickmic said:

To make it absolute clear. When Kodi starts up, Emby must be available. After startup and connected to Emby, you can drop the Emby server connection any time and how long you wish. This should not have an impact, but no connection on Kodi start is a "problem". Actually it was per design but I can change that.

I've tested exactly this scenario already.

NAS Already On -> Turn on Kodi Box -> Connects to Emby and Syncs Changes (via initial sync)

Turn Off NAS -> Turn Back On NAS -> Add new Content to Emby Library -> New Content does not show in Kodi, ever. Unless its rebooted. It's ability to communicate via the websocket connection is gone.

So to summarise, there's 2 problems:

1.) As you've mentioned, and as I've proven, If the NAS is offline when Kodi boots up, it will never re-establish its session.

In this exact scenario, on the NUC running 4.1.21, once the NAS boots up, you'll see a info popup along the lines of "Connected to Emby".  So its much more robust in that respect. That behaviour needs changing, I think a decent amount of people out there won't be running their NAS 24/7 to always have it online ready for Kodi.

2.) If both the Kodi Box and the NAS are on, and working happily with websocket updates, but then the NAS is turned off and back on again, that connectivity is broken until Kodi is restarted. 

Edited by linds1234
words

quickmic

ok, I will check the websocket connection again.

Are you using native or addon mode?

I'm asking cause websocket and http Emby connection works independently.

In native mode, you will not detect a http connection drop and both (websocket and http) could be down.

Edited by quickmic