Thinking of changing OS to MAC

So I have been thinking for awhile of changing my Servers OS to MAC. This is mostly due to the intrusive updates that are forced on us Windows10 Users and the bloatware that is constantly being reinstalled by these forced updates. Like xbox gamebar, etc and several others. I did figure out that by using Shell i can remove a lot of these programs I dont want or use but whenever their is an update these programs are forced back onto my PC using Data, which is expensive nowadays, and disc space which I like to keep clear for my needs not Microsofts attempt to get me to use programs I have ZERO interest in.

EDGE is a huge irrigation as well. I remove it and it comes right back. Its as if Microsoft somehow knows I just shelled the hell out of their bloatware and they want it back on ASAP. Im beginning to think Windows OS is more or less spyware now as the years go by. I used to love Microsoft. But that has all changed and it wasnt a sudden distaste either. To to put insult to injury they pin that crap to my Desktop as to say, HEY BUDDY! Heres your internet browser you need to use! Serious BS.

Also the new GET HELP for Windows10 infuriates me and I like the old troubleshooter. But it is either gone or buried in the OS some place. Also I find it funny that on the Microsoft help sites you have all these people saying that the majority of these programs cant be removed and are hard coded into the OS and they have to be there for it to work. This is an obvious plow to get people to keep programs on their PC that Microsoft gets paid to put on them. Really they are just trying to discourage people with misinformation. 

I read about a registry hack that can stop the updates but that was a couple of years ago someone had posted that and if I was terrible company like Microsoft Id patch that out as soon possible because, darn it your gonna get force fed the updates whether you want them or not. I hate companies like this. The only option is to postpone updates for a a week at which time they will force update you. 

I have read that MAC does not do this to its users. If so thats wonderful. Some of the best news Ive read all day. My server is a big part of my life and I use it constantly so the fewer issues I have obviously the better. Im just sick of Microsoft and need some good advice.

Other considerations are of course just going to Linux Mint or something similar. I run KALI on my Chromebook so I am familiar with the struggles of changing an OS and how difficult it can be. Course Chromebook is a bit extreme considering the length at which you have to go to to get the darn OS on a system that doesnt like you doing that sort of thing and fights you the whole way lol. I do enjoy UNIX based OS though as Im an old IDX/IBM/DOS guy. I dont use the PC for gaming, I have another one for that, or anything else really. Mostly I just keep it running just for the server. So an OS that is light on the resource consumption is something I thought about a lot. Microsoft is not like this especially when the Antimalware crap decides to bog down the PC even though I already have a dedicated antivirus and dont need or want their default crap. 

All this said i would very much like to hear from the community about their thoughts and experiences with MAC OS as I worry about any compatibility issues from switching I might have.

Cheers

Edited by Guest

levander

I got my Mac Mini in 2011 and I still use it. Once I started using OSX I never looked back and whenever I have to deal with Windows/PC it makes my skin crawl. Of course there will always be something you can only use on Windows but you can have dual boot on your Mac and use Windows like you would on your PC or you can install Parallels which lets you use Windows inside OSX. Regarding emby server on Mac I cannot give comparison thoughts or compatibility issues because I never used it on Windows but I can tell you emby on Mac works for me.

• 4 weeks later...
AZRichG

I'm very happy with my iMacs in general and Emby on it specifically.

After restarting I have to allow Emby to accept incoming connections but that's about it. Updates few and generally go smoothly. So I'd happily recommend using one. I've got a late 2015 iMac that is running everything current with no issues. 

I haven't done a switch over but there is a migration assistant app that will help move files over to a mac from a PC from what I remember, it's the same app that moves your old info to your new mac. 

The only PC I have is for use at work and every week when I go to use it the first thing I do is updates. On one hand I'm glad to keep it updated and get them, but geez!