Jump to content
Painkiller8818

General Permission Problem

Recommended Posts

Painkiller8818
Posted (edited)

Hi,

As i want to share my library with my family and friends i do some tests and i recorgnized, a normal user whithout access to my Collections is able to enter the collections from the movies even if it isn't showing up as a seperate library and:

A normal user can add and delete My collections and while doing this he get the same confirmation question and sees the full path of my drive.

I don't want normal users to be able to add or delete my collections.

In the users settings he is not allowed to delete anything but collections still work to create and delete

grafik.png.b505ed23cd5273655e61ef235a5ec0d9.pnggrafik.thumb.png.0aa6a0b69fde685ce5fade3b820856db.png

Edited by Painkiller8818

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr

Hi.  We do not have any permission settings related to collections at this time.  It is probably a good idea to add them in the future.

The option you changed just has to do with the visibility of the "Collections" library in My Media and is not a permission related to collections per se.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Painkiller8818
30 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We do not have any permission settings related to collections at this time.  It is probably a good idea to add them in the future.

The option you changed just has to do with the visibility of the "Collections" library in My Media and is not a permission related to collections per se.

strange because i can set a user to allow to delete things, and collection is also included:

Erlaube Medienlöschung = allow media deletion

grafik.thumb.png.c06ec88a5d87469d94df43238d5369ae.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr

Okay, but that would restrict the deletion of only the "Collection" itself.  It doesn't restrict the ability to add/remove from or create Collections.

As I said, this simply isn't a permission level we have right now but we may in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Painkiller8818
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, but that would restrict the deletion of only the "Collection" itself.  It doesn't restrict the ability to add/remove from or create Collections.

As I said, this simply isn't a permission level we have right now but we may in the future.

My test User is able to delete the whole collection. The movies are still there, thank god He can't delete my movies but he can delete the whole collection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
20 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

My test User is able to delete the whole collection. The movies are still there, thank god He can't delete my movies but he can delete the whole collection. 

Exactly how is he doing that and with which app?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Painkiller8818
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, ebr said:

Exactly how is he doing that and with which app?

It is me with a test user, i created the user without any permissions to manage the server, delete or download content, i only enabled all playback and transcoding for this user.

I logged in with chrome, go to a box set and click on the 3 dots and select delete collection, and then the collection is gone on my server and i need to create the collection with the included movies again. Also is the user able to add new collections, or add playlists.

And as the options say allow deletion of collections and i unchecked it, i think this is not how it should be because the test user can't delete movies and this is set in the same permission set and works.

Edited by Painkiller8818

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebr
5 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

It is me with a test user, i created the user without any permissions to manage the server, delete or download content, i only enabled all playback and transcoding for this user.

Exactly what options did you check or uncheck? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Painkiller8818

I think it is better with a video, i changed sytem lang to english so you can see exactly what i've done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tomnjerry74
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

I think it is better with a video, i changed sytem lang to english so you can see exactly what i've done.

Ohne Titel.mov 87.57 MB · 0 downloads

Unfortunately, what you're describing is just one of the many issues people have been pointing out for years to no avail.

  • Playlists are shared by every account on the server
  • Playlists can be altered, deleted, or created by anyone on the server
  • Collections can be altered, deleted, or created by anyone on the server

All of these issues persist regardless of any settings you may try and change, so I wouldn't waste your time.

I haven't tested this, but maybe you can try changing the folder permission for the collection on the operating system itself that your server is running on. If that works, then the user will still be able to see the path to the collection and attempt to delete it, but it should not let them.

Edited by tomnjerry74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Painkiller8818
1 minute ago, tomnjerry74 said:

Unfortunately, what you're describing is just one of the many issues people have been pointing out for years to no avail.

  • Playlists are shared by every account on the server
  • Playlists can be altered, deleted, or created by anyone on the server
  • Collections can be altered, deleted, or created by anyone on the server

All of these issues persist regardless of any settings you may try and change, so I wouldn't waste your time.

I haven't tested this, but maybe you can try changing the folder permission for the collection on the operating system itself that your server is running on. If that works, then the user will still be able to see the path to the collection and attempt to delete it, but it should not let them.

This user is a local emby user and not a user on my server so there are no special permissions for this. If i change the permissions i couldn't add or create collections or movies also.

This is nothing i would like to have a workaround, this is a emby side problem that needs to be solved, i am wondering no one else ever mentioned this so they can fix it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tomnjerry74
1 minute ago, Painkiller8818 said:

This user is a local emby user and not a user on my server so there are no special permissions for this. If i change the permissions i couldn't add or create collections or movies also.

This is nothing i would like to have a workaround, this is a emby side problem that needs to be solved, i am wondering no one else ever mentioned this so they can fix it..

Yes I agree. And trust me, it's been mentioned many times. Even back in 2015 there are posts about it. Unfortunately, like many issues here, they simply won't ever do anything about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke

We need to revamp permissions related to collections and playlists. We will get there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...