Slow Tuning - HDHR

Dave_1959

Dave_1959
2 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

but we have other UK Freeview users not experiencing the problems that Dave_1959 is reporting

Thanks @Spaceboy.  I think the thread has perhaps digressed from the main issue.

When I tried the test for Direct Play - see previous post) the first load of BBC1 HD was less than 2 seconds (Direct Play) Perfect 🙂

However, I then tried ITV HD and got the spinning wheel and didn't load 😦

I backed out (which it allowed) immediately tried BBC1 HD again and it took over 10 seconds before again showing as Direct Play which makes no sense unless the failed ITV attempt was somehow still blocking ?

My gut feeling (and I've no evidence to back this up) is that exoplayer is somehow involved and if not the root cause is involved somehow.

Can anyone answer exactly why with "Direct Stream live TV" enabled (which I believe should provide the fastest load) some UK FreeView channels work and others don't (and I'm not convinced it's always the same channels that work!) ?

Does anyone else get this on Uk FreeView ?

Edited by Dave_1959

Dave_1959
16 minutes ago, cayars said:

Dave are your problem channels AAC_LATM audio by any chance?

Do channels that work not have AAC_LATM audio?

Certainly the channel I tried a few moments ago (see previous Post) was ACC_LATM. I can't say about the ones that don't load as I can't see the Stats for Nerds 😉

However, just Disabled "Allow Direct Stream for Live Tv" and loaded bot a working and a none Direct Play working channel in "Direct Stream" mode and the Stats for Nerds shows the "Original Source data" and both have AAC_LATM.

Edited by Dave_1959

PristDean
2 hours ago, ebr said:

The problem is that it isn't something that just needs to be addressed at a client interface.  The issue is systemic and needs to be addressed at that level - which we are currently working on but it is a HUGE issue that simply takes time.

This is the bit that is also very frustrating for the 'end user... 'Simply takes time"... General perception, and certainly mine, is that these performance issues have been apparent for a very long time, years. Release after release never seems to get us to a place where the consumer can experience good performance from the interface... out of the box

PristDean
11 minutes ago, Dave_1959 said:

Thanks @Spaceboy.  I think the thread has perhaps digressed from the main issue.

When I tried the test for Direct Play - see previous post) the first load of BBC1 HD was less than 2 seconds (Direct Play) Perfect 🙂

However, I then tried ITV HD and got the spinning wheel and didn't load 😦

I backed out (which it allowed) immediately tried BBC1 HD again and it took over 10 seconds before again showing as Direct Play which makes no sense unless the failed ITV attempt was somehow still blocking ?

My gut feeling (and I've no evidence to back this up) is that exoplayer is somehow involved and if not the root cause is involved somehow.

Can anyone answer exactly why with "Direct Stream live TV" enabled (which I believe should provide the fastest load) some UK FreeView channels work and others don't (and I'm not convinced it's always the same channels that work!) ?

Does anyone else get this on Uk FreeView ?

Yes, this is exactly whet I experience with Freeview channels too

Can we take a step back and find setting that allow all channels to work regardless of speed to get a working base then we can try changing specific settings one by one to see what helps/hurts performance and playback?  Right now it's hard to follow what your settings are at any one time which makes it hard to trouble shoot.

What version of the Emby App on Shield TV are you currently using?

Can you tell us what these setting currently are:

Playback:
Max Streaming Bitrate
Allow Direct Play of TS Files
Player Buffer size
Enable Refresh Rate Switching
Match Video Resolution
DeInterlace SD Content

Live TV Settings:
Direct Live TV Stream
Live TV Start Time
Allow Video Stream Copy
Expose Closed Captions in live and recorded TV

With your current settings does every channel play or not on the Shield TV?

Edited by cayars

Dave_1959
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

First on the Shield you will not get "direct play" of Live TV but either transcoding or direct streaming.

So why does my screen shot of Stats for Nerds show "Direct Play" ?  (see previous post)

At other times with other settings it shows "Direct Streaming" and "Transcoding"

I'll get the full setting as requested to you a little later.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:09 AM, Dave_1959 said:

Emby1.png

On 7/4/2020 at 11:08 AM, ebr said:

It is not trying to direct play.  There is just a delay before the server knows exactly how the item is playing.

Edited by cayars

Dave_1959

Not that post but the one an hour or so ago -

image.thumb.png.46c5eb9ede8737ffb8e755ee82e5c320.png

And that was after running for several minutes

Edited by Dave_1959

Dave_1959

@cayars As requested my current settings -

What version of the Emby App on Shield TV are you currently using?   4.4.3.0 / 1.8.10g Registered

Can you tell us what these setting currently are:

Playback:
Max Streaming Bitrate                             Auto
Allow Direct Play of TS Files                   Enabled
Player Buffer size                                     Medium
Enable Refresh Rate Switching             Disabled
Match Video Resolution                         Disabled
DeInterlace SD Content                          Disabled  (Also Disabled for Deinterlace HD Content)

Live TV Settings:
Direct Live TV Stream                            Disabled
Live TV Start Time                                  Fast
Allow Video Stream Copy                     Enabled
Expose Closed Captions in live and recorded TV      Disabled

With your current settings does every channel play or not on the Shield TV?      All play but with some channels taking up to 25 seconds to load
                                                                                                                                           All show "Direct Stream" after a few seconds of "Direct Play" (taken from Stats for Nerds)

Enabling "Direct Stream Live TV" (everything else as above) gives "Direct Play" on channels that work but hangs with spinning wheel on ones that don't (but "return" does work to get back to channel list / guide). I believe the logs I sent originally show the server believing it is sending data but the client doesn't load it.                                                                                                                                

Dave_1959

Not sure if this helps or adds to the confusion but just tried the Windows 10 HDHomerun Setup app (rather than the web based channel setup used previously) and see there are options or "BDA Compatibility Mode". It was showing "Default" but should it be on any of the others ?

image.png.06ea408c62b2c833d983efabedd63b80.png

Thanks for the list:

OK I was wrong.  Enabling "Direct Stream Live TV" does allow Direct Play on both the client and the server Dashboards.  I forgot about that setting as it doesn't allow pausing, RR/FW.

Sorry about that, my bad.

With that setting enabled using Fox News (also happens to be recording) via Comcast with an HDHomeRun prime I too get a spinning circle and the channel won't play while other channels like CNN, MSNBC do play.  I end up getting an "Unable to Tune" message.

If you DISABLE "Direct Stream Live TV" how does this help overall with being able to play channels?

Let's not change the BDA compatibility right now.  I don't believe Emby is using BDA for the HDHomeRuns right now as they use the URL method (forget proper name).

Dave_1959
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

Thanks for the list:

OK I was wrong.  Enabling "Direct Stream Live TV" does allow Direct Play on both the client and the server Dashboards.  I forgot about that setting as it doesn't allow pausing, RR/FW.

Sorry about that, my bad.

No worries - just goes to show how confusing it all can be 😉

With that setting enabled using Fox News (also happens to be recording) via Comcast with an HDHomeRun prime I too get a spinning circle and the channel won't play while other channels like CNN, MSNBC do play.  I end up getting an "Unable to Tune" message.

Maybe I haven't left it long enough to get that message but I'll check further.

If you DISABLE "Direct Stream Live TV" how does this help overall with being able to play channels?

As I said in my list with that disabled all channels play showing "Direct Stream" but some took over 25 seconds to load

2 hours ago, Dave_1959 said:

Are the ones that have a problem interlaced (1080) while the ones that don't, aren't (720)?

If so, you can try leaving the direct stream option on and checking the option under playback to De-interlace HD items on the server.

• Like 1

Is that backwards ebr?  Why would 720p not work?  Maybe I'm just reading that wrong. :)

3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Is that backwards ebr?  Why would 720p not work?  Maybe I'm just reading that wrong. :)

Yes, that was stated backwards.  Thanks.

Dave_1959
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Are the ones that work interlaced (1080) while the ones that don't, aren't (720)?

No. Both a working and non working I've tested were both HD 1080 and as far as I'm aware all UK Freeview HD channels are interlaced.

8 minutes ago, ebr said:

If so, you can try leaving the direct stream option on and checking the option under playback to De-interlace HD items on the server.

Both working and Non working loaded (the working one after approx 10seconds, the non working after 25 seconds). Both showed Transcoding with a reason "interlaced video"

Dave_1959
  50 minutes ago, cayars said:

Maybe I haven't left it long enough to get that message but I'll check further.

--> Now checked further and after approx 80 seconds get a "Unable to tune at this time" (or similar) and then get bounced back to guide so looks like the same as your Fox News

19 minutes ago, Dave_1959 said:

Both working and Non working loaded (the working one after approx 10seconds, the non working after 25 seconds). Both showed Transcoding with a reason "interlaced video"

What does "non working loaded" mean in this context?  Did it play but just took 25 seconds or so? Or after 25 seconds still didn't play.

Yea while diagnosing try and let it "tune" until you get the "Unable to tune at this time" message so we know both the client and server are done trying to negotiate.

Dave_1959
11 minutes ago, cayars said:

What does "non working loaded" mean in this context?  Did it play but just took 25 seconds or so? Or after 25 seconds still didn't play.

It means that the channel that didn't load under "Direct Play " and with "no Deinterlacing" did Load and display with "Deinterlacing" enabled. But it took 25seconds before it showed on screen. It then continued to play normally.

The channel that worked in both cases took 10 seconds to load when deinterlace was enabled (vs 2 seconds without)

Edited by Dave_1959

15 hours ago, ebr said:

Are the ones that have a problem interlaced (1080) while the ones that don't, aren't (720)?

@Dave_1959 have you tried what ebr suggested above?  What we need to do is determine what channels that play have in common and what the channels that don't do have in common with each other.  This will help eliminate one set of variables dealing with interlaced content.

PristDean

I have just tried this... BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD & Really do not load.... ITV HD, CH5 HD, CH4 HD & Sony Movies do load  

What resolutions, frame rate, progressive or interlaced, video codec and audio codec?

What we likely need to know is that info for each channel tested so we can try to figure out what the channels have in common.

PristDean

ITV HD (Does load) Res 1920 x 1080  Frame Rate 25 fps   Interlaced  VCodec H264  ACodec  AAC_LATM

BBC2 HD (Does not load)   Res 1920 x 1080   Frame Rate  25 fps   Direct Play  VCodec H264 Direct   ACodec  AAC_LATM (local downmix)