Slow Tuning - HDHR

Dave_1959

24 minutes ago, PristDean said:

BBC2 HD (Does not load)   Res 1920 x 1080   Frame Rate  25 fps   Direct Play  VCodec H264 Direct   ACodec  AAC_LATM (local downmix)

Is this channel 1080p?  Perhaps that is the problem...

PristDean

Yes.. why is that a problem ?  all default setting from my point of view

Edited by PristDean

Could be getting both 1080 interlaced and 1080 progressive on different channels. Typically 1080 broadcast is interlaced while 720 is progressive.

Could you check a few more channels (good and bad) and report back what you find especially if interlaced or not (like above)?

Thanks

PristDean

Film 4 - almost instant load.... Play method - Direct    Res 720x576    VCodec MPEG2 Direct   ACodec MP2 local downmix  25fps

Horror Channel - Will not load....Play Method - Ditrect  Res 544 x 676  VCodec MPEG2 Direct   ACodec MP2 local downmix   25 fps

No interlacing

Edited by PristDean

Okay, so I'm thinking maybe it is the UK 1080p h264 channels that won't play without transcoding...?

We're trying to narrow this down so that we can make the app "just work" instead of having to tweak all of these options.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PristDean said:

Film 4 - almost instant load.... Play method - Direct    Res 720x576    VCodec MPEG2 Direct   ACodec MP2 local downmix  25fps

Horror Channel - Will not load....Play Method - Ditrect  Res 544 x 676  VCodec MPEG2 Direct   ACodec MP2 local downmix   25 fps

No interlacing

Is that a typo on MP2 or is it actually MP2 and not MP3 audio?

PristDean
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Is that a typo on MP2 or is it actually MP2 and not MP3 audio?

No, not a typo... most definitely listed as above

• Like 1

Thanks for double checking.  By all means keep posting what you find but if you can keep a list of all of this in case we want a list from different users to compare.

That could be most useful to have in one place!

Thanks so much for your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Dave_1959
10 hours ago, cayars said:

@Dave_1959 have you tried what ebr suggested above?  What we need to do is determine what channels that play have in common and what the channels that don't do have in common with each other.  This will help eliminate one set of variables dealing with interlaced content.

Sorry been called away from home for a few days. Yes I did try it and responded, see my post after ebr corrected post re the wrong way round.

Can't test again as away but my posts above show that BBC1 HD worked without transcoding Showing Direct Play,  and also with transcoding(triggered by deinterlacing) where as ITV 1 HD would only work with the deinterlacing option set. Both showed reason as Interlaced video which suggests both are interlaced. 

Does that match what you found @PristDean ?

Dave_1959
29 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, so I'm thinking maybe it is the UK 1080p h264 channels that won't play without transcoding...?

Not sure as I was showing "Interlaced video" as the transcoding reason on ITV 1 HD with the deinterlaced option set. This is one of the channels that doesn't load for me in "direct play"

Dave_1959
32 minutes ago, ebr said:

We're trying to narrow this down so that we can make the app "just work" instead of having to tweak all of these options.

Fully understand that and appreciate the effort 😀.  Just sorry I'm stuck away for a few days so can't unfortunately test further to help🥺

I'd be interested in knowing the frame rates of these channels as well especially if 1080p.  IE are they 25 or 50 fps. I could understand how frame doubled streams could muck things up.

Dave_1959
2 hours ago, PristDean said:

ITV HD (Does load) Res 1920 x 1080  Frame Rate 25 fps   Interlaced  VCodec H264  ACodec  AAC_LATM

BBC2 HD (Does not load)   Res 1920 x 1080   Frame Rate  25 fps   Direct Play  VCodec H264 Direct   ACodec  AAC_LATM (local downmix)

@PristDean is this the right way round as I found that BBC2 HD would load in both Direct Play (deinterlacing disabled) and transcode ( deinterlacing enabled)

But ITV 1 HD would only load with transcoding ( via deinterlacing enabled) and not in Direct play.

In both deinterlacing cases the reason given was "interlaced video" suggesting that both channels are 1080i. ?

PristDean

Interesting... after messing about with settings in the Emby client.... I started to get "Unable to tune to channel at this time" for s lot of channels, but not all. Turns out my HDHR had all 4 tuners stuck on HD channels I had tuned to, any of which Emby would tune into... but nothing else. HDHR reboot to fix !

Edited by PristDean

Did you by chance adjust Allow Direct Play of TS Files?

Just something to keep in mind. For any testing to be valid we need the same settings used across the channels.

Dave_1959
12 hours ago, PristDean said:

Interesting... after messing about with settings in the Emby client.... I started to get "Unable to tune to channel at this time" for s lot of channels, but not all. Turns out my HDHR had all 4 tuners stuck on HD channels I had tuned to, any of which Emby would tune into... but nothing else. HDHR reboot to fix !

@PristDean I've had this a few times but usually when opening a stream in Chromium - Which I believe is another known issue. It also leaves data streaming to the Transcode Temp files folder filling up the disk. 

I've always rebooted Emby Server to fix as this as it also forced a clean up of the Transcoding Temp Files folder and reset the HDHR channels (no need to reboot HDHR).

You might want to check your Transcoding Temp Files folder if you haven't restarted Emby just in case 😉

PristDean

Thanks, my setup is as below:

Managed hub with HDHR, NVidia Shield (running app) & Synology NAS (running server) all connected on the same VLAN. 

Never seen that tuner lockup behaviour before. But have to say the Emby app performance is worse than before the latest update. Fixing the 'No programmes available' when scrolling the guide but has introduced a failure to close a stream bug which presents a blank screen and continued sound with the app non responsive for about a minute. Very frustrating

Edited by PristDean

Dave_1959

My setup is similar except I don't use my Synology for Emby as it's an older none intel unit (1515+) so wouldn't hardware transcode. I use a i5 win 10 box for Emby server leaving the Synology for Home Assistant ( in docker) and NAS. This is the first emby install I've done (got fed up paying Sky😉). And having tested similar products I have to say that Emby is probably the overall best despite some of these issues. Although nextpvr with Kodi (and suitable skin) comes close especially if local lan use is the main criteria.

Still worth checking you transcoding temp folder though.

@cayars I believe @PristDean means a managed network switch when he says "managed hub"😉

PristDean
15 minutes ago, cayars said:

What is the "managed hub" you speak of?

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Hub

• Like 1

PristDean

It's late, just installed and configured Kodi as I can no longer use Emby for Live TV without the application causing my HDHR to overheat and lock through Emby locking locking channels. To clear channels I have to force quit the Emby app and clear cache. Until that's fixed, only started with recent release, it's Kodi.

Kodi nowhere near as nice or professional looking, but performance is good and it plays nicely with HDHR.

PristDean

Checked again this morning.... one channel tuned in via Emby, then after an hour attempted to close and return to guide. A full 15 seconds with a black TV screen and the channel's sound still playing before Emby attempts to get back to the guide. Looking at my transode folder show a file of 1.2gb remaining, HDHR shows one tuner locked, only an Emby server restart removes the the transode file and releases the tuner.

Nothing has changed on my side, all latest production versions installed. Prior to the last Emby client update all was working just fine

Dave_1959

@PristDean, looks like I'll be away until Tuesday evening so can't test to see if I'm getting the same, but I wasn't before I left last week. Has there been a new Android emby client released?

Thinking back though I may have had the tuner locks when I'd been playing with EmbyCon and Kodi but can't be certain now

Try loading an alternative Kodi skin as I found that helps the UI a lot. There's even one that emulates Emby😉

Second best I've found to emby is nextpvr with Kodi skinned using embury or Amber. Certainly not as nice operationally but for local lan live TV  and recording performance was very good. No speed issues or lockups.

When I'm back I'll test for the delay going back to guide and the lockups.

Edited by Dave_1959