Slow Tuning - HDHR

Dave_1959

I'm looking at 5 pages of feedback/update/suggestions to your op post and a couple of fixes that have already been made because of it.

You have support and devs taking part in the thread.  How can you say there is no feedback???

ebr addressed half you op post almost immediately and also stated in response to another part:

On 7/13/2020 at 9:16 AM, ebr said:

The problem is that it isn't something that just needs to be addressed at a client interface.  The issue is systemic and needs to be addressed at that level - which we are currently working on but it is a HUGE issue that simply takes time.

That to me is good feedback and he's telling you that some things are core issues that need addressing which he's also telling you is being CURRENTLY worked on. Meanwhile we're trying to help you with configuration that you can use now.

Edited by cayars

Dave_1959
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm looking at 5 pages of feedback/update/suggestions to your op post and a couple of fixes that have already been made because of it.

If they have I haven't been informed of any. What are they ?

7 minutes ago, cayars said:

You have support and devs taking part in the thread.  How can you say there is no feedback???

Because the last posting relevant directly to my issues was made on the 14th July. and since then I've made several posts ending with #113 to try to get an update. I accept that you replied but only repeated the same "...that there is a Live TV project underway..." reply - One which I'd already asked about back in #43 -

On 7/13/2020 at 2:07 PM, Dave_1959 said:

By "available in the near future." what approx time scale are you thinking? (I know it's not an easy question and not something you can be held to)

I have tried to respond promptly when, in the earlier post (upto 13th July)  replies have been made even though in several cases I've only been repeating what I'd already posted (but that clearly wasn't read properly) but then nothing. Hence my posting  #113 which is still unanswered as far as the issues are concerned.

28 minutes ago, cayars said:

That to me is good feedback and he's telling you that some things are core issues that need addressing which he's also telling you is being CURRENTLY worked on.

The quote you gave is simply about the complete re-working of all the confusing and interlaced (no pun intended) config options and not about the direct issue in question.

29 minutes ago, cayars said:

Meanwhile we're trying to help you with configuration that you can use now.

I've tried and feedback all the config options that have been suggested so what does your statement mean ? And why if you are working on something haven't you updated the topic to show this ?

8 minutes ago, Dave_1959 said:

The quote you gave is simply about the complete re-working of all the confusing and interlaced (no pun intended) config options and not about the direct issue in question.

Hi.  My post was about all live TV in general.  We are currently working on improvements across the board.  However, these things are not going to happen in the next few days.  It is a large project currently underway.  I cannot give you a timeline but I can say it is a large area of focus currently.

Dave_1959

So, I'll ask again.......
Is it then the case that the primary issues raised by myself and others , in particular, the slow loading of Live TV Channels and the inability to open some live TV channels are to be addressed in this "large project" and not as a bug fix release of the current build?

1 hour ago, Dave_1959 said:

So, I'll ask again.......
Is it then the case that the primary issues raised by myself and others , in particular, the slow loading of Live TV Channels and the inability to open some live TV channels are to be addressed in this "large project" and not as a bug fix release of the current build?

Correct.  There isn't any sort of quick "fix" for these issues.

• Like 1

Dave_1959
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Correct.  There isn't any sort of quick "fix" for these issues.

At last finally a straight answer to a question! Thank you.

Unfortunately, as you are unable to provide even an approximate timescale for the "new" Live TV I will have to reluctantly switch from using Emby.

PristDean

So, using 4.5.0.14 Server Beta and 1.8.11g Client  still getting ITV2+1 lock up. Log attached.

Plus, after watching a channel for a wile, existing back to the guide by pressing the back button, then exiting again by pressing the 'back button', again the client sits for approx 4-5 seconds before it responds to exit back to home dashboard.

As @Dave_1959 has said, how exactly will these issues and others be addressed, in fixes or when the "large project' is released ?

ffmpeg-transcode-5af57640-3bff-425b-a362-9bad974a1680_1.txt

Big pictures things with the larger project as that's kind of the purpose of it.  However something like you mention with the back, back thing is possibly a fix that could be made if it's specific to a client. A developer such as ebr would make that call if it can be done. Basically it all depends on the issue but obviously the devs have still been making changes/fixes to help as this thread shows.

It's important to keep pointing out issues and show how/describe how to reproduce them so they can be diagnosed (fixed short term if possible) AND also used as test data for the new Lieve TV project.

1 hour ago, PristDean said:

So, using 4.5.0.14 Server Beta and 1.8.11g Client  still getting ITV2+1 lock up. Log attached.

Plus, after watching a channel for a wile, existing back to the guide by pressing the back button, then exiting again by pressing the 'back button', again the client sits for approx 4-5 seconds before it responds to exit back to home dashboard.

As @Dave_1959 has said, how exactly will these issues and others be addressed, in fixes or when the "large project' is released ?

ffmpeg-transcode-5af57640-3bff-425b-a362-9bad974a1680_1.txt 33.87 kB · 1 download

Could you please disable the MPEG2 VAAPI HW Decoder (leave the encoder enabled) and try again?

Please post the ffmpeg log.

Intel had issues with their hw MPEG2 decoders. Windows was affected as well. It has been fixed in drivers not older than about 2 years (rough estimate).

I'm not familiar with the situation on the Synology devices, but if you would be able to get a recent driver installed, you should be able to use the MPEG2 VAAPI decoder without issues.

@Dave_1959 - Have you tried to  do the same?

Dave_1959

@softworkz, I haven't as my issue was different and based around live TV channels loading very slowly or not at all.

As it seems these issues will only be addressed with the new "large project" and we have no idea on timescales I've had to bow to the pressure from the main users here and switch away from Emby. Now running Channels DVR and whilst not as feature rich as Emby, for Live TV (which is our main requirement) it loads all channels within 2 seconds with no buffering, the setup and config was simple and easily understandable - no confusing config options to set. In short it just worked! Yes it's more expensive (than Emby) but compared to what I was paying Sky that's not an issue.

If it helps I have to say that we did have a few random crashes with the Android TV Emby Client but nothing that I could repeat. I never saw the issue that @PristDean was having. I was running on Windows i5 with the latest Intel graphics drivers.

Edited by Dave_1959

PristDean
49 minutes ago, Luke said:

Regarding Synology, did you try our new package?

Yes, i'm running that already. My issues now are:

1. Exiting from the TV guide back to the main dashboard takes 3-5 seconds, then a spinning wheel while you can clearly see the dash screen updating. This after 1/2 hour or so of playing live TV.

2. The stutter after loading a live TV channel.... about a seconds pause about 10 seconds into playing, then again ten seconds or so later before playing normally. Results vary according to the channel being played.

The above have been apparent for a long time, even after many releases.

3 hours ago, PristDean said:

Yes, i'm running that already. My issues now are:

1. Exiting from the TV guide back to the main dashboard takes 3-5 seconds, then a spinning wheel while you can clearly see the dash screen updating. This after 1/2 hour or so of playing live TV.

2. The stutter after loading a live TV channel.... about a seconds pause about 10 seconds into playing, then again ten seconds or so later before playing normally. Results vary according to the channel being played.

The above have been apparent for a long time, even after many releases.

What Emby app were you playing Live TV in?

PristDean

Luke, i'm surprised at yet another question, but no answers ... if you look at the posts above this you will clearly see what client I am running. 

I am now looking at Channels DVR as suggested by  @Dave_1959  , £5 a month, but just works. Or I can look at a stand alone box £160 initial outlay, but not a 'media centre'.

I think the reason people look at solutions such as Emby for their TV / media, is they are are technically minded, looking for a system they can control from an IT perspective in terms of hardware & OS setup, implement a cost effective software solution in their own technical environment which they can control and delivers a slick 'media centre' experience. But when a software solution is continually problematic, technically minded people will perceiver with it more than most... until they lose patience, look around and something better becomes apparent. I fear if Emby does not deliver quickly on the 'Large Project' it may be left behind.   

1.8.11g Client is your current Android TV client correct?

Would you mind trying 1.8.22 from here (requires side loading).

Dave_1959

Very well put @PristDean. 100% in agreement with your comments. I've spent the past 35 years working with lots of software, including 25 years running a software development company so know the difficulties, but also the importance of listening to users and giving accurate information back when they take the trouble to provide it, and, especially when, as you correctly say, they are typically more IT aware.

• Like 1

Keep in mind, it's not like Emby isn't listening or trying to help with things they can now.

But because they ARE listening have decided to handle many of these things from the ground up to fix systemic issues that you can't really patch.  It takes a bit of time but is the correct approach for everyone long term.

• Like 1

PristDean
33 minutes ago, cayars said:

long term

I think that's the issue here @cayars... as I mentioned, people will use patience and look at alternatives. I think your team needs to consider it's customers perspective more here, not just 'listen'.  As @Dave_1959 has previously mentioned, some visibility of the timelines and benefits of your 'large project' would help us make a decision one way or the other.

It's in active development and testing and not an idea sitting on paper for the future. I don't know if anyone can put a timeline on it's release as this all depends on how testing goes.

Dave_1959
On 7/27/2020 at 3:02 PM, ebr said:

. I cannot give you a timeline but I can say it is a large area of focus currently.

@ebr has already said earlier which was the deal breaker for me I'm afraid.

We understand.  Best thing for you is to select the software that works for you and your environment.  If Channels DVR solves your problem then that's a problem solved.

When the new stuff is released try it then and re-evaluate your options.

As soon as the TV app gets all of the advancements that we are working on here:

Then you should see better starting performance. It shouldn't be too long.

• Like 1