MBC new UI crashes after playback

leedavies

cbenard

Thanks for the help. Logs attached. There are no errors/warnings in the Media Center event log.

Edited by cbenard

Cheesegeezer

@@cbenard

2014-08-07 07:38:09.3571,Info,,Media Browser (version 3.0.140.0 3-14.1) Starting up.,1,Application

Exactly as Luke says.  You are running a very old version of MBC.  You need to set MBC to update to beta level, not release.  Currently and until the server is completed most of the "stable" releases will be pushed to beta level, this is for both server and MBC. 

@@cbenard

Exactly as Luke says.  You are running a very old version of MBC.  You need to set MBC to update to beta level, not release.  Currently and until the server is completed most of the "stable" releases will be pushed to beta level, this is for both server and MBC. 

Release level is fine.  Both the server and MBC have stable releases at that level.

But, as pointed out by Luke, this is a completely different issue which is related to the old version of MBC you are running.

• Like 1

cbenard

Release level is fine.  Both the server and MBC have stable releases at that level.

But, as pointed out by Luke, this is a completely different issue which is related to the old version of MBC you are running.

Thanks. I didn't realize MBC didn't auto update like the server. I told it to check and let it update and it fixed the problem.

Cheesegeezer

I got a WMC crash again, although this time it was from hitting 30 second skip (twice in quick succession I think). I've seen this one before. Generally I enter a minute mark and hit "play" and that works fine. I haven't yet tried to reproduce my crash when a video ends, nor when using other features of the new UI (I've gotten a WMC crash when trying to use the zoom feature).

Here is the server log, client log, and windows log. The problem occurred at 10:42:23 PM.

http://www.filedropper.com/wmc-crash

EDIT: I use the chocolate theme.

can you please use something like pastebin and post each of the logs seperately, it's good practice as not everyone is viewing the forum on a pc where you can download, tablets, pads and phones need to be able to access them too.

Cheers

Cheesegeezer

Cool I didn't realise, i go off the current mbc version that is posted in this sub forum, i thought you were busy and didn't have time to update the post. 

How was your trip or are you still in the Keys?

TheShanMan

I got a WMC crash again, although this time it was from hitting 30 second skip (twice in quick succession I think). I've seen this one before. Generally I enter a minute mark and hit "play" and that works fine. I haven't yet tried to reproduce my crash when a video ends, nor when using other features of the new UI (I've gotten a WMC crash when trying to use the zoom feature).

Here is the server log, client log, and windows log. The problem occurred at 10:42:23 PM.

http://www.filedropper.com/wmc-crash

EDIT: I use the chocolate theme.

Edited by TheShanMan

Yeah, as you said Media Center is crashing, not us.

What codecs do you have installed?

Do you have any other Media Center add-ons in play like Media Control or anything else?

TheShanMan

FWIW I turned off the new UI (:() because I was going to watch a sporting even so I figured the skip forward/back buttons would get used a number of times and didn't want crashes and having to start over. As expected, problems went away. And I don't have other extensions factoring in. As much as I hate to do so, I think I'm going to leave the new UI off for now because the crashes are driving me batty. I'm happy to try things though if you guys want because I'd sure like to see the problem(s) fixed so I can start using it again!

TheShanMan

Probably a good thing I turned off the new UI. I got a crash with the old UI, albeit a totally different crash. So perhaps something else is at play and it was just a coincidence that it seemed to start with the introduction of the new UI, or perhaps the new UI simply exposes the problem more readily than the old UI does. I'll keep the old UI going for a while and see if there's anything I can learn from it. Maybe I'll reinstall LAV or other stuff like that.

divide_by_zero

Sorry for the delay on test results/logs. Tested with Chocolate and had no crash upon "Stop" button or reaching end of a file. Same with Subdued. Seems like I can only repro the issue with Breeze.

moviefan

I have had issues with WMC crashing using the new UI when trying to navigate the timeline usually when video is pretty close to the end.  I use chocolate as my theme.  I don't know that this is for sure the same problem others are reporting but it sounds pretty similar.   I will try and see if I can reproduce and will upload logs next time.

I have had issues with WMC crashing using the new UI when trying to navigate the timeline usually when video is pretty close to the end.  I use chocolate as my theme.  I don't know that this is for sure the same problem others are reporting but it sounds pretty similar.   I will try and see if I can reproduce and will upload logs next time.

That sounds like a different issue to me.

The only confirmation we've seen on the "when stopping" crash has been with one of the Lee themes.  I think other issues reported are not this same problem.

riverboat2001

I have a pretty similar issue.

Watching anything using the ROC theme causes Media Browser Classic to stop working and I'm returned the the Media Center screen.

Using Chocolate theme there are no problems

I'm at work now so i can't post my logs, but will aim to do so tomorrow

Out of curiosity, has this issue been solved and I've missed the relevant fix?

Thanks All7

NJ RadioGuy

there's a Media Browser crash that has occured 100% of the time when a video stops since upgrading. This happens whether or not I hit "stop", or if MBC reaches the end of the video file. 7MC itself doesn't crash - I'm just dumped out of the Media Browser Interface and back to the Media Center home screen.

Not running any extenders. LAV filters, same as TheShanMan above, so maybe that's a clue. Haven't yet tested with themes other than Breeze. Lemme know if logs or any other info would be helpful.

I am experiencing the same issue and have a little more info. I've found this is 100% repeatable when playing .ISO files but seems to work mostly-fine on .MKV rips from Blu-Ray. When I press STOP or let a file run out the the end MB-C crashes, I'm dumped back to WMC, and after a few seconds, I get an onscreen message telling me that WMC has stopped responding and an option to quit. The option does not work, and the only way to get things back again is to bring up the task manager and kill the ehshell.exe process. This brings me back to the desktop.

I am running Win7/x64, Server 3, MB-Classic, the Classic interface (I deleted Chocolate off the system--didn't like its quirks), LAV codecs and I'm using VLC Player from the default location for .ISO playback. And I'm not sure if this is related or not, but pausing an .MP4 file usually doesn't work correctly. It stutters a few times and just keeps playing herky-jerky. I have to press play a few times for it to straighten itself out. Again, I don't know if this is part of the same problem or something else.

darengibo

After testing it with all my available themes, it crashes 100% of the time when I use ROC, Breeze, Crystal and Aztec.  Did NOT crash with Chocolate!

Lee, are you able to figure out a fix for this crash?

I have the same problem and it only started after I switched from Chocolate to Breeze. Not sure if there's any value in me posting logs when several have already been posted, but please let me know if there's anything I can do to help progress this. I prefer Breeze but not when it crashes like this.

I am experiencing the same issue and have a little more info. I've found this is 100% repeatable when playing .ISO files but seems to work mostly-fine on .MKV rips from Blu-Ray. When I press STOP or let a file run out the the end MB-C crashes, I'm dumped back to WMC, and after a few seconds, I get an onscreen message telling me that WMC has stopped responding and an option to quit. The option does not work, and the only way to get things back again is to bring up the task manager and kill the ehshell.exe process. This brings me back to the desktop.

I am running Win7/x64, Server 3, MB-Classic, the Classic interface (I deleted Chocolate off the system--didn't like its quirks), LAV codecs and I'm using VLC Player from the default location for .ISO playback. And I'm not sure if this is related or not, but pausing an .MP4 file usually doesn't work correctly. It stutters a few times and just keeps playing herky-jerky. I have to press play a few times for it to straighten itself out. Again, I don't know if this is part of the same problem or something else.

Using Breeze?

I have the same problem and it only started after I switched from Chocolate to Breeze. Not sure if there's any value in me posting logs when several have already been posted, but please let me know if there's anything I can do to help progress this. I prefer Breeze but not when it crashes like this.

The error from the Windows Event Log would still be helpful.  Not everyone posting out here actually has the same problem and we still haven't narrowed down the true issue in Lee's themes.

NJ RadioGuy

Using Breeze?

No. I am using the Classic theme. I do not have any third-party or add-on themes installed, and I specifically de-installed Chocolate in hopes of eliminating that as a variable. I'd be happy to post my error log if you tell me where it is and how to access the specific errors that you're looking for.

The error from the Windows Event Log would still be helpful.  Not everyone posting out here actually has the same problem and we still haven't narrowed down the true issue in Lee's themes.

I get a Media Browser 3 not responding error after stopping playback (need to play for a few minutes to trigger the error). There are no Media Center event logs generated and the MB server log last entry had timestamp well before the crash. Is there another log I can check?