MBC new UI crashes after playback

leedavies

leedavies

Over the weekend I've been doing lots of testing and watching different items in my collection.  Mostly on an Xbox 360 extender and without a single crash after playback.

As soon as I enable the new player interface, I get a crash after playback.  Not a normal in-WMC crash with an error logged in the Windows Application log from ehexthost, but a crash.  The MBC log is below.  This happens every time anything is played when the new player interface, but only seems to crash on an extender, not on a PC.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jq6g7o4lf0xmaw9/MBClassic-13720144059ea67305c4e53ba803d827a048cd9.log

leedavies

I should add that there's nothing at all logged in the Windows Event Log, other than an abrupt disconnection of the extender.

The fact it is only on extenders is new information and explains why I've never been able to reproduce it.  It also makes it a real bugger to try and chase down.

It is also only on your themes, right?

Everyone experiencing this can you confirm:

1) It is only on an extender and

2) which theme

If those conditions are true then let's look for a common denominator - is there something that all of your themes attempt to do after playback?

godbodian

The problem appears to lie within the other themes. The only way I often use, MediaBrowser is through the MBC/WMC/Extender setup. I've never had a crash unless, I leave the video pause for a long time or I'm actively updating my library while browsing the library within the extender. Not that I'm arguing, that these individuals aren't experiencing what they are just adding my experiences to the mix.

I think my issue of crashing is more so an issue of lag and eventual freezing, as opposed to an actual crash. I recently increased my storage capabilities so that may also factor in, although I don't know how much because I've had this issue for some time. It begins in initial startup, my users come up but not the images. I usually use this to determine my next move. If the user images don't come up, there's usually a 100 percent chance that when I proceed to the EHS, there will be no information. From there if no images have came up, there's a 40/60 chance that if I proceed into my library there will be no images and my library will show up as "0/0" (double zeros). The latter "double zero" issue is the rarer instance, where it only happens on average maybe 2 times out of every 5 times I proceed, although I usually just wait either at the user field or the EHS for the images to proceed. In a lot of instances, the best manner of fixing the issue is simply not doing anything and letting the extender catch up.

As for playback, my playback is smooth. Hell, I'm excited because the new updates have even gotten my rewind and fast forward working. That plus being able to skip and chapter highlight makes the experience almost as seamless as using a standard DVR. The player navigations (RWD, FWD, SKIPFWD and SKIP BACK) aren't always smooth, there's often a half a second to full second response time delay that tends to make the navigation, more problematic but IT'S STILL LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF WHERE IT WAS. (Great work again EBR!)

Back to the point, I know everyone has their tastes but what I've found is the Chocolate theme is the least problematic of all the themes when using the MBC/WMC/Extender setup, that in itself alleviates a lot of issues. (Not saying anything about the other devs or their work, just the whole "more cooks in the kitchen" kinda thing.)

Good luck.

Edited by godbodian

Godbodian - you are experiencing a completely different issue - something that has plagued extenders for quite a while I think.

This issue is specific to the new player interface in MBC and, I think, the themes mentioned above.

linguica101

Over the weekend I've been doing lots of testing and watching different items in my collection.  Mostly on an Xbox 360 extender and without a single crash after playback.

As soon as I enable the new player interface, I get a crash after playback.  Not a normal in-WMC crash with an error logged in the Windows Application log from ehexthost, but a crash.  The MBC log is below.  This happens every time anything is played when the new player interface, but only seems to crash on an extender, not on a PC.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jq6g7o4lf0xmaw9/MBClassic-13720144059ea67305c4e53ba803d827a048cd9.log

Ive had the exact same thing occur, with no error log, but on a pc.

when I clicked "stop" on the video during playback I did receive an error. which I have attached

im running mbc3 on windows 7 with the breeze theme.

mediabrowser3error.txt

Sorry, but I don't know.  The error you posted should give Lee an idea of where to look but I haven't heard any progress either.

leedavies

I've been investigating, but I've only seen this error on an Xbox extender so far.  It's an odd one - particularly because the detail movie page loads OK pre-playback, but is complaining it can't be loaded post-playback.  It's almost as though something in the environment has changed and is preventing loading.

I've got a few things to try yet and will report back shortly.

linguica101

Problem Fixed?

So I downloaded and installed the latest MBC 3.0.196 and watched a couple of videos and I didn't have any crashes. I believe that maybe this problem has been corrected. 

Thank you for getting it done.

leedavies

I've not tried this latest version yet.

In my testing over last few days, it seems if I start playback of anything on an Xbox extender with that new UI and FFWD through to just a few minutes before the end and let it then play to the end, or hit back manually everything works fine.

But if I don't skip ahead and just let the video play until the end, when playback finishes I get the crash.

It's almost like its related to the passing of time and maybe a problem reloading the theme DLL?

I'll try the new MBC build tonight to see if it fixes the problem.

It could also have been fixed by the new versions of your themes that have gone out recently.  It could have been something that just needed a re-compile.

balkerman

I had this issue after updating to the latest server beta. Installed the latest official server, now back to normal.

linguica101

Problem Fixed?

So I downloaded and installed the latest MBC 3.0.196 and watched a couple of videos and I didn't have any crashes. I believe that maybe this problem has been corrected. 

Thank you for getting it done.

Turns out it was all wishful thinking and that I spoke too soon. I was watching today and the problem came back.

I had this issue after updating to the latest server beta. Installed the latest official server, now back to normal.

That may be coincidental as I don't think this issue is completely consistent.

Cheesegeezer

Turns out it was all wishful thinking and that I spoke too soon. I was watching today and the problem came back.

logs???

see my signature for details on how to report a problem. 

Cheers

TheShanMan

Not sure if it's the same issue but I've been fairly regularly get crashes for a while. I think it happens when videos end but I've also experienced it when I try to take advantage of the extra features in the display bar (like trying out those zoom options). I figured it would get fixed eventually and it's not overly inconvenient since MBC automatically restarts so I haven't worried too much about it (plus I haven't been active in the forums lately), but if it would help I could check for logging.

seanbuff

Not sure if it's the same issue but I've been fairly regularly get crashes for a while. I think it happens when videos end ...

Agree. I have also experienced WMC crashes since using the new playback UI. Do not have Extenders, and am using Chocolate theme.

They almost always occur at the end of a video, often brought on by me FFWD to the end to complete it.

Unable to supply Windows logs, but will try to fetch some next time it happens.

TheShanMan

Yeah, I'm on chocolate too. I too will try to grab logs next time I see it happen.

On the plus side, the new UI is so cool I can't bring myself to turn it off even for greater stability. :)

seanbuff

Yeah, I'm on chocolate too. I too will try to grab logs next time I see it happen.

On the plus side, the new UI is so cool I can't bring myself to turn it off even for greater stability. :)

LOL, same for me - the positives outweigh the negative ...however I do feel it will become a problem on the WAF if it keeps occurring, especially when I am not around.

Anyway, @@ebr I was able to track back to when I remember it last occurring, and I was able to find 2 occurrences that I have exported from Event Viewer.

Event Viewer log

Let's hope it helps you identify anything ...

edit: I also realize you're down at the Keys, so whenever you get a chance. No rush.

Edited by seanbuff