Sam865

Use "Emby for Google Home" to Play Music on Google Home Devices

Sam865

I'm looking for a way to select songs from my Emby Server using voice commands on a Google Home device such as the Google Home Mini or the Google Nest. I want to play the music directly on the Google Home device that issues the voice command, rather than routing it to my phone or a DLNA-compatible "player."  However, there doesn't seem to be an option to simply play the selected music directly on the Google Home device's speaker. Am I overlooking something?

I have successfully installed and configured the Emby for Android app and linked it to my Emby Server using Emby Connect. I can start a session by saying "Hey Google, talk to Emby Home." I can then say "Play <a song title> by <artist name>. Google finds the song on my Emby Server and asks which player I want to use. (Right now there are only two choices—my android phone or a DLNA device that I never use.) To test the feature, I selected my phone and it does play the song as expected, but not on the speaker I would like to use.

(If the Emby team wants to pursue improving Emby for Google Home, you might take a look at a product called MyMedia, which is an Amazon Echo "skill." Their approach is  elegant and it works flawlessly. The software "watches" and indexes local music folders on a PC to create a lightweight music server that is compatible with Alexa. I wish something similar existed for use with Google Home products.)

• Like 1

Luke

Hi there, yes we are working on improving our google home features. thanks for the feedback.

jxb1234

I tried this tonight and was disappointed that emby can't play music on a google speaker.

As Google are discontinuing Google play music this year which allowed you to upload and play your own music for free, I need to find a solution.

The alternative is to dump google and go to Alexa, or buy a cd player.

Please please make emby work correctly with google speakers for music.

Sam865

Since you are on an Emby forum, I assume that you have a decent desktop computer on which you run your Emby server. As a stop-gap measure (until the folks at Emby perfect Emby Connect), you can use that same computer to run a program called MyMedia. (Just Google "MyMedia for Alexa" for details.) Per their website, MyMedia "installs a tiny media server on your computer that integrates with the ease and power of Amazon Alexa to give you voice control over your media collection. My Media lets you stream your music collection to your Amazon Echo or Amazon Dot without having to upload all your music collection to the Cloud. This keeps your music under your control." It has a seven day free trial, and if you like it, you can purchase a subscription that costs only $5 per YEAR. I have no affiliation with this company, and I sincerely hope that Emby Connect can work the same magic with Google Home/Google Nest products. In the meantime, you can keep using Google Play Music and at the same time experiment with MyMedia for Alexa.

jxb1234
Posted (edited)

I'm running Emby in a docker on a server :D

I've installed mymediaforalexa as a test to see how well it works. I now need to buy an Alexa device to test it with. Google home doesn't seem to be the best supported home assistant for many different things; home automation, music, intercom between devices etc, which is a shame as the voice synthesis and search results are both significantly better than the alexa devices i've heard at friends houses.

Edited by jxb1234

Sam865

You can actually test MyMedia using the Alexa App on your mobile phone while you are at home. (I have an Android phone). It accepts voice commands. For example, "Alexa, ask MyMedia to play Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight by James Taylor." The sound quality won't be very good, but you can see how it works. (I already have Amazon Echo devices in my home, so this might be a prerequisite for getting Alexa to work on your mobile phone. Also, I've never tried using this test method when I'm away from home. It would be interesting to see whether it would work that way or not.)