kaledi

Shield TV 2019 playback issues with 4K HDR

kaledi

It is correct that the tube shield TV is the cheaper of the current Shield TV models, but I wouldn't call it cheap.  It is as expensive as the previous generation shield TV, and considerably more expensive than other media products such as Fire TV stick.

I have no issue with nVidia producing different product levels, but it is disingenuous at best that they failed to fully highlight the technical difference (e.g. that the tube only runs in 32bit mode) between the two models.

• Like 1

lightsout
95% of people using these devices are streaming media that is designed for streaming (i.e. much lower bitrates).  That's what they are designed for.  Our users, on the contrary, are trying to force media designed for hardware optical disc players through an internet streaming device.  With the really high-end hardware, you can almost get away with that - but not with the budget version.  Again, not terribly surprising in my view.

Yes it is "cheaper" but as the post above states, it's still more expensive than basically every other device, and with Nvidia advertising the same SOC one would assume they had the same playback ability.

As far as the second statement I get what your saying. But AVS is also an enthusiast where most folks use their devices like the posters here do.

I'm still very curious if Kodi has the same problem.

FrostByte

I was oh so close to getting the tube version myself until I started reading the reviews on Amazon complaining about it being 32-bit.  I then jumped on the nVidia forums to verify and quickly changed my mind and got the Pro.  So glad I read Amazon first

lightsout
54 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I was oh so close to getting the tube version myself until I started reading the reviews on Amazon complaining about it being 32-bit.  I then jumped on the nVidia forums to verify and quickly changed my mind and got the Pro.  So glad I read Amazon first

That's what sucks, because I had read that that only mattered for for 64 bit apps like Dolphin and Plex Server. Oh well.

lightsout

According to the folks that have replied they are not having issues with UHD high bit rate remuxes using Kodi with the tube.

One person mentioned Plex had similar issues but with a recent beta they are resolving things. I believe Emby and Plex both 

use exo player. Assuming that may be where the problem lies. 

Lawrage

I have not tested Kodi but from reading the Nvidia forums they had this issue as well, a recent post seems to indicate this may be working now but cant confirm.

I run both and Plex had the same stuttering issue for me as well.

If you still have the Tube, I changed it to use VLC as an external player and that seems to work fine for playback, there was the odd time where on stopping a movie the tube crashes and you have to close the apps down so not really a long term fix. This was with 60Mb/s files, what happens if I throw a 100Mb/s file at it, I wouldnt be confident that long term this would keep up if its having issues now.

Attempting to get a refund now on the Tube as its advertised as a 4K HDR player where clearly its not.

• Like 1

lightsout
1 hour ago, Lawrage said:

I have not tested Kodi but from reading the Nvidia forums they had this issue as well, a recent post seems to indicate this may be working now but cant confirm.

I run both and Plex had the same stuttering issue for me as well.

If you still have the Tube, I changed it to use VLC as an external player and that seems to work fine for playback, there was the odd time where on stopping a movie the tube crashes and you have to close the apps down so not really a long term fix. This was with 60Mb/s files, what happens if I throw a 100Mb/s file at it, I wouldnt be confident that long term this would keep up if its having issues now.

Attempting to get a refund now on the Tube as its advertised as a 4K HDR player where clearly its not.

I just sent it back, bought from amazon and still in return period so no big deal. waiting on the refund and will snag a pro. I would rather be confident

going forward that I won't have to worry about it, the Pro has been solid in my living room, as was the previous model before that.

rbjtech

From reading the various threads on this, I believe it is basically the lack of memory in the Tube - the width of the bus has little to do with it.  The Pro has an extra 1 Gig, which makes all the difference.  I also deleted the Plex Media Server and some of the other factory installed apps that I have no use for to save as much memory as possible.

lightsout
10 hours ago, rbjtech said:

From reading the various threads on this, I believe it is basically the lack of memory in the Tube - the width of the bus has little to do with it.  The Pro has an extra 1 Gig, which makes all the difference.  I also deleted the Plex Media Server and some of the other factory installed apps that I have no use for to save as much memory as possible.

You could very well be right, although the tube shouldn't have had Plex Media Server since it can't run it?

queenbuzzo

Damn, I made the same mistake and didn't check reviews before buying. But even worse is that I couldn't test it properly before going on a business trip and now I'm out of the return period. I'm really not impressed by Nvidia, but I have already ordered the Pro as the Shield is the only device atm that can fulfil all my needs. 

Cydios

I'm having issues.  Not sure what's changed. I've been using shield and emby for a long time now. It'll glitch out about 5 mins or so into a 4k movie. Plex seems to be ok, making a temp change till resolved. 

Luke
On 7/21/2020 at 1:30 AM, Cydios said:

I'm having issues.  Not sure what's changed. I've been using shield and emby for a long time now. It'll glitch out about 5 mins or so into a 4k movie. Plex seems to be ok, making a temp change till resolved. 

Hi there @Cydios can we please look at an example?

puithove

I have just started collecting 4k content, and I'm running into the same performance issues on my Shield tube.  I don't have a 4k TV yet, so my players have to down-res, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here.

I have some 4k HDR 23 Mbps HEVC content which should be well within spec, but it is having the issue in Emby Android.  Interestingly I have Kodi installed on the same device with the Emby for Kodi sync - Kodi plays this just fine.  Kodi also plays my highest bitrate content fine - 4K HDR 45 Mbps (4k HEVC BluRay -> remux MKV).  So that leads to the question of what's different between the players.

The interesting thing is that upon first starting playback, the UI is still responsive and stopping playback is no issue.  After a period of playback though, the UI boggs down and stopping playback becomes an issue as already described above - this happens much quicker in the higher bitrate content.

I saw mention above about a theory of it being a memory issue.  I changed the playback buffer size setting in the Emby app from the default Medium to Small.  Now the lower bitrate content plays back fine, and the higher bitrate takes longer before it encounters the issue.  Conversely, if I set the buffer size to Large, it makes this happen quicker.

Do we maybe have an issue with the buffer size calculation where it is overrunning the available memory on the device?  I assume it's setting buffer size based on time at the bitrate of the file.  It needs to account for the max available ram in the device though so that it doesn't eat too much.

ebr
1 minute ago, puithove said:

I saw mention above about a theory of it being a memory issue.

The information we have is that it is a memory leak in the firmware on the device.

• Sad 1

treefiddy

On 9/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, ebr said:

The information we have is that it is a memory leak in the firmware on the device.

Any Update on this? Do i need to RMA my tube?

Luke
1 minute ago, treefiddy said:

Any Update on this? Do i need to RMA my tube?

Hi there @treefiddy, can we please look at an example of the issue that you're having? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !