Shield TV 2019 playback issues with 4K HDR

kaledi

30 sec in and the app just crashed.

That's what I would have expected :).

snikkelonius

I ended up ditching my Tube and got me a Pro. Had 4K HDR playback issues on Plex and Kodi as well and didn't see a solution coming soon.

• Like 1

shdwkeeper

I ended up ditching my Tube and got me a Pro. Had 4K HDR playback issues on Plex and Kodi as well and didn't see a solution coming soon.

Does it work better?

snikkelonius

Does it work better?

Yes, all my issues are gone. Yesterday I watched a full HEVC movie without interruptions for the first time with the Pro :)

It only cost me EUR 270,- for a second hand one  :D

Edited by snikkelonius

kaledi

I managed to snag a new pro from the nvidia website and it arrived yesterday.  All problems solved with this issue.

A real shame that such minor cost cutting to the tube has made it such an inferior product and worse, that this wasn't apparent (or at least clear) in the specs.

• Like 1

dual-o

The small buffer helps, but it doesn't fix the issue. I just tried to play the remux of Pacific Rim and within the first 2 or 3 minutes, the system was un-responsive and the video and audio stuttered. The bitrate was around 45-50mbps + the TrueHD track. I was running version 1.80 of the app.

I have tested Lucy (HEVC 4k Remux) with 86mbps Bitrate. Runs good but only with buffer-size small.

Edited by dual-o

Xor_van_Dorf

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I might try another file, but i doubt that will change anything as the file plays fine on my computer.

@kaledi: I've been trying to get the pro version myself for about 2 months, but it's always out of stock anywhere I look, at least in Canada :(

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I might try another file, but i doubt that will change anything as the file plays fine on my computer.

@kaledi: I've been trying to get the pro version myself for about 2 months, but it's always out of stock anywhere I look, at least in Canada :(

You aren't doing anything wrong. Success here will be highly variable and dependent on the exact content.  Suffice it to say, the lower-price point comes at a cost.

Xor_van_Dorf

I will try Lucy and Inception soon to see the behavior of the Shield.

I have attached the mediainfo of my Pacific Rim file, if it can help you.

Pacific Rim.txt

Edited by Xor_van_Dorf

Xor_van_Dorf

Amazing! I tried Lucy and Inception (remux). They both played fined for the time I tested theses titles. I even seeked and it was smooth. The Inception file has an even higher bitrate and it was smooth. The file must have something wrong in it!

Inception.txt

Lucy.txt

Lawrage

Having the same issues on the new shield tube. 4k HDR stutters then just crashes back to the home page. I have set buffer to small and nothing.

If I set the option to match frame rate in settings then it plays fine without stuttering or crashing but this then means that the voices are ever so slightly delayed from the video.

Have tested this with about 10 different 4k HDR mkv files.

Is there any fix for this?

If not will buying the shield pro fix it? Just checking before I spend more money.

Lawrage

Also if I use an external player like VLC then it plays without issue however that brings other issues unrelated to this

kaledi

Yes shield Pro solves playback issues completely. Just replaced my tube with a pro. Fortunately amazon had extended return policy during covid.

• Like 1

kaledi

I don't notice any issues with lipsync when frame rate matching is on. Indeed I find it critical to do so otherwise video stutters

Lawrage

With that setting on files played fine and the sync issue was barely noticable but on closeup shots I could tell.

Anyway just ordered a Pro - fingers crossed this solves the issue.

• Like 1

lightsout

Man wish I would have seen this thread a week ago. Bought a tube for the bedroom. Was playing a 4k file and it froze the whole system. Was hoping it was just an anomaly.

Thought I had done enough research and playback was equal to the Pro. Sounds like I'll have to return. Wish you could still get the old shield for a good deal.

lightsout

Doesn't anyone have some for sure material that will choke the device? I'm wondering if there is any difference with Kodi playing the files.

rbjtech

It was confirmed by ebr the other day that max bitrate allowed by emby for Android TV is currently 110 Mbit/sec. 

In the next beta he is going to unrestricted this so we can see how far we can push the Pro.  I suspect 120-150 Mbit/sec - there would have been little point Nvidia engineering anything faster than this - or they won't have any selling points for the 8K Shield .. 🤪

Currently 110 Mbit/sec covers my highest bitrate 4K remux with some 20% headroom - so finding it's breaking point is more my curiosity than necessity at the moment.

1 hour ago, lightsout said:

Doesn't anyone have some for sure material that will choke the device? I'm wondering if there is any difference with Kodi playing the files.

If you are talking about the non-pro then I believe people started having trouble with anything HEVC over about 40Mb/s...

lightsout
If you are talking about the non-pro then I believe people started having trouble with anything HEVC over about 40Mb/s...

Yes I'm referring to the non pro. Wow 40 MB/s that's weak.

Dang I have to take this thing back and try to find another pro.

Lawrage

Yup can confirm some of mine are around 60Mb/s, crashes the tube, plays fine on the Pro.

Will see if I can return the Tube, not liking my chances though.

lightsout

Pretty disappointed that this is the case with the Shield, odd though I have followed all of the 4000 post thread about the new Shields at AVSforum and 

don't remember seeing this come up. Wondering if this is just an Emby issue because of Exoplayer. Didn't bother testing Kodi as I need Emby to work

so mine has been shipped back to Amazon for a return.

8 hours ago, lightsout said:

Pretty disappointed that this is the case with the Shield

It is a lower-spec'd device at a lower price point.  It isn't really all that surprising that it isn't as capable as its higher-priced brother, is it?

8 hours ago, lightsout said:

odd though I have followed all of the 4000 post thread about the new Shields at AVSforum and 

don't remember seeing this come up.

95% of people using these devices are streaming media that is designed for streaming (i.e. much lower bitrates).  That's what they are designed for.  Our users, on the contrary, are trying to force media designed for hardware optical disc players through an internet streaming device.  With the really high-end hardware, you can almost get away with that - but not with the budget version.  Again, not terribly surprising in my view.