Shield TV 2019 playback issues with 4K HDR

kaledi

kaledi

A quick update on the playback issues.  It has been elevated to second line support and I've supplied them with a sample video and a video of me showing the issue!

To their credit (to this point) support have been quick to respond and communicate with me.

Given I'm not having any issues with the 2017 Shield, I think we're seeing a hardware limitation of the 2019 tube,

• Like 2

A quick update on the playback issues.  It has been elevated to second line support and I've supplied them with a sample video and a video of me showing the issue!

To their credit (to this point) support have been quick to respond and communicate with me.

Given I'm not having any issues with the 2017 Shield, I think we're seeing a hardware limitation of the 2019 tube,

I'm afraid you're right but please keep us up to date on what they say.

Thanks!

altairr

Same observation from my side with 4k remuxes, I will be returning the tube version. I hope the pro will be back in stock soon...

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

matf

Just to add that I've had exactly the same problem with the Shield Tube - microstutters in playback and them when you try to back out of what you're playing it just goes to black screen and hangs before the Info page. This has been doing my head in for ages.

In the end I've decided this is a combination of bandwidth and refresh rate. I solved the bandwidth by upgrading network as I was only getting about 130mbps at the shield which seemed to be right on the edge of acceptable for high bit rate 4k UHD rips.

But the thing that seems to have sorted the black screen of death was to turn off refresh rate switching. Still in wait and see mode but it does seem to have fixed the issues. Would like a fix (Plex, sorry!, seems to be ok with refresh rate switching on).

NB this was only an issue with high bit rate 4k UHD, lower bit rate 4k had no issues.

NB I'd quite like to have refresh rate switching back, though I can't for the life of me remember what the benefit is!

dual-o

Have the same Issue with the tube Shield. I can solve this issue by changing the buffer-size to small... I think it is an RAM issue cause of 2GB. The old Shield and the Pro Version have 3GB with no issues at buffer-size medium (default) value.

@EmbyDevs: what is the diffrence between small and medium?

• Like 1

I can solve this issue by changing the buffer-size to small... 

That is good information.  Thanks.

The difference is the amount of memory being used during playback.

Xor_van_Dorf

I have this exact same problem and it's driving me nuts!

I also have Plex installed on the server and it's doing the same thing.

Where do I change the buffer-size?

mpg732

I ran across this tonight as well.  Playing Hi-bit rate 4k HDR MKV.  These are same movies that played fine for me before.  I restarted the app, then the shield and still same problem.  I am pretty sure it was not my network though can never know for sure.  The fix for me was to restart the Windows PC the server was running on.  Then all played fine. 

dual-o

That is good information.  Thanks.

The difference is the amount of memory being used during playback.

is the buffer size calculated (time or something else) or is it a fixed size?

Edited by dual-o

It is a range of fixed values.  I'll try reducing the default max buffer and see if that helps.

shdwkeeper

Unless something changes, you may want to consider returning it and getting the pro before it's too late

I'm seeing same issue on my Shield Tube I just received, but there isn't this issue on Plex or Channels DVR. My playback settings are set to Auto

Edited by shdwkeeper

I'm seeing same issue on my Shield Tube I just received, but there isn't this issue on Plex or Channels DVR. My playback settings are set to Auto

Have you tried the "small" buffer setting?

How high of a bitrate are we talking about?

shdwkeeper

Have you tried the "small" buffer setting?

How high of a bitrate are we talking about?

I'm just streaming OTA from an HDHR device. The max streaming bitrate is set to auto.  It just happened to me again when I was testing the Audio.

I was in Emby, hit the Shield Home button which takes you to the home screen (assuming this put Emby in background), launched Plex and did my testing there, hit the home button again and than tried to launch Emby and it just went to a black screen, everything was frozen, tried to get back to Shield home a few times, when it finally did I tried to launch Emby again, it flashed (like it crashed) than I clicked on it again and it says starting Emby.

Not sure what happened there.

Edited by shdwkeeper

I'm just streaming OTA from an HDHR device. The max streaming bitrate is set to auto.  It just happened to me again when I was testing the Audio.

I was in Emby, hit the Shield Home button which takes you to the home screen (assuming this put Emby in background), launched Plex and did my testing there, hit the home button again and than tried to launch Emby and it just went to a black screen, everything was frozen, tried to get back to Shield home a few times, when it finally did I tried to launch Emby again, it flashed (like it crashed) than I clicked on it again and it says starting Emby.

Not sure what happened there.

Okay, you said you were seeing the "same issue" as this thread which is about playback stuttering or failing on high bitrate content.

If the above is what you are seeing instead, then I believe that is addressed in the current beta of the app.

Thanks.

shdwkeeper

Okay, you said you were seeing the "same issue" as this thread which is about playback stuttering or failing on high bitrate content.

If the above is what you are seeing instead, then I believe that is addressed in the current beta of the app.

Thanks.

I will install beta version and report back if I see this issue still happening.

dual-o

I will install beta version and report back if I see this issue still happening.

I've tested it with 1.8.03g Beta and buffer-size medium (standard).

Still same results.

• buffer size small works good
  • buffer size medium shuttering.
  • Like 1

Xor_van_Dorf

The small buffer helps, but it doesn't fix the issue. I just tried to play the remux of Pacific Rim and within the first 2 or 3 minutes, the system was un-responsive and the video and audio stuttered. The bitrate was around 45-50mbps + the TrueHD track. I was running version 1.80 of the app.

The small buffer helps, but it doesn't fix the issue. I just tried to play the remux of Pacific Rim and within the first 2 or 3 minutes, the system was un-responsive and the video and audio stuttered. The bitrate was around 45-50mbps + the TrueHD track. I was running version 1.80 of the app.

HEVC, right?  So as far as information being processed that would be equivalent to about 90-100 in h264?

I think the reality is those are just beyond the capabilities of this lower-powered device.

shdwkeeper

Yes, HEVC.

I'm using the large buffer right now on my shield for IPTV and that seems to help, not sure if would help in this case.  Can always test.

I'm using the large buffer right now on my shield for IPTV and that seems to help, not sure if would help in this case.  Can always test.

Hi.  That would most likely make this particular issue worse but it is certainly worth a try.

Thanks.

Xor_van_Dorf

30 sec in and the app just crashed.