Emby classic users upgrade to 4.3.1

aziz

I have just spent over 11 painful days with server upgrade.. here is my finding...

New Server 4.3.1.0 is broken when used with Emby Classic client (beta or otherwise).  here are my results.

1- when i had server 4.3.1.0 and Emby Classic beta version... the following will happen.

when you start the Emby classic client, both the server and the client will spring a memory lead and will consume all memory and resource on both devices and crash.

2- When I restored my old 3.5.3.1 server and used it with Emby Classic beta version, the following happened.

When you start the Emby classic client, the server will stay fine and work with around 400mb RAM (normal), and after few minutes, the client will spring a memory leak and the client machine will come to a stop due to no resource.

once you disable the enhanced views on the emby classic beta client.. everything works just fine, with standard views.

Clearly, there was very little testing done on the new server and Emby client, and the main reason could be lack of users of emby classic (i might be the only user as no one else has any issues), or the emby classic users are not offering to help with testing the system...

either way.. I just wanted to share my findings.. 

best regards

Sammy

Do you mean Emby for WMC?

You need to post your logs.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

Emby for WMC Logs

Emby for Media Center (including configurator) logs are found in

%programdata%\MediaBrowser-Classic\logs

If you have a crash ("Invalid Application" error) in EMC/WMC, we will need the .net error from the Windows Event Log as explained here.

Hi.  I know several folks are running server 4.3.1 and EMC 317 successfully so your issues are probably specific to your setup somehow.

However, in all honesty, if you truly wish to stay with EMC I think sticking with a stable setup of both server and app are a good idea.  We simply do not have the resources to keep dedicating to new development and testing on such a long-dead platform :).

One2Go
Clearly, there was very little testing done on the new server and Emby client, and the main reason could be lack of users of emby classic (i might be the only user as no one else has any issues), or the emby classic users are not offering to help with testing the system...

either way.. I just wanted to share my findings.. 

best regards

You are not the only one and as EBR stated the WMC/EMC users are a very small minority. @@ebr For Home Theater enthusiasts this is not a dead platform.

Myself I am running the latest EMC beta version on EMBY Server 4.0.2.0 on a Win 7 Intel NUC. It is running without problems and I will stay at these versions, since I don't need any of the new features, Live TV works fine and I definitely do not want to spend days trying to get my setup to work. Have done that in the past when switching from version 3.5 to 4.0 and I rather prefer a root canal without Novocaine then experience the pain of switching server versions.

There isn't so much of a problem with the newer server as it is the upgrade process. We only have so much developer bandwidth to devote to the upgrade process and the majority of that was based on upgrading from 4.0, 4.1, 4.2. If you're coming from 3.X you'll have a better experience with a fresh install.

• Like 1

Volfan6415

I run Emby for wmc with the latest beta server. Only major issue I had was recently I added camera uploads and pictures and apparently that library didn’t play well with Emby for wmc. It made all kinds of weird timeout issues in the tv and movie libraries. However I created a specific HTPC user without these libraries and all is well again, humming right along.

Should also note I have enhanced view enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Volfan6415

negativzeroe

There isn't so much of a problem with the newer server as it is the upgrade process. We only have so much developer bandwidth to devote to the upgrade process and the majority of that was based on upgrading from 4.0, 4.1, 4.2. If you're coming from 3.X you'll have a better experience with a fresh install.

This. It's almost never advisable to upgrade such a major version change in any piece of software. Sometimes you get lucky but most of the time you have issues. Even when I upgraded my nextcloud from 17.0.3 to 18.0.1 just today, I made a whole copy so I could revert back if needed. Thankfully a few of my apps were labeled untested but worked anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I wish to take everything I said above about this back... and I want to offer everyone an apology.... here is why....

So, I took it upon myself to understand the status of Emby server and Emby Classic, and I have good news so far....

So...

1- I took a backup of my 3.5.3.0 server using the plugging. (so, just configuration and playstate) no data.

2- I uninstalled the old server and deleted all folders (not data folders), just the stuff in appdata... by the way, it was still called MediaBdowser server

3- I installed latest server code from website.

4- I then downloaded server 3.5.3.0 and replaced latest server with this code and started it from scratch.

5- I then defined all the libraries using the old data folders, and waited 3 days for it to finish scanning.... I have a lot of data.

6- once finished scanning, I restored users, and play state, and installed the pluggins...

7- Tested the server 3.5.3.0, and it worked perfectly with Emby Classic released code.

8- then upgraded to server 4.1.1.0... tested it worked perfectly apart from gamebrowser...

9- then upgraded to code 4.3.1.0, and again. It worked perfectly on released Emby Classic. Gamebrowser is still broken ,but I think it is configuration issue.

So... it appears server 4.3.1.0 works just fine even with Emby Classic released code, and my issues was.... My old server needed to be rebuilt from scratch... that server was first installed 9 years ago.

So... if you are on WMC and using Emby Classic, you can upgrade to latest server, and if you need help, I will be able to share my experience... it is not painful, but it will take time depending on the size of your data... the hero in all of this is the Backup Configuration Pluggins.... it rocks

Best regards