Can't cancel downloads

notla49285

notla49285

I've started downloading a TV episode from my library onto my phone (internal storage), and then decided to cancel it as it was taking too long.

It seems there is no way of cancelling a download.

In the notification window, the only option is "Pause" and then "Resume". Why is cancel not an option?? So I figured I must be able to do it in the Downloads -> Manage section of the Emby app. The only option there is to remove a download, which isn't strictly what I want to do, I want to STOP a pending/current download, not REMOVE an existing one, but Remove is the only option so I select that.

It makes no difference to the download, it just carries on, ignoring my request to remove it. I tried pausing then clearing the notification, force stopping the Emby app, restarting the phone, none of it makes any difference, as soon as I open the app the download just starts again.

Any ideas as to when it will be possible to have a proper, working downloads facility on Android? There have been so many complaints about it and it's been going on for months.

Emby app version: 3.0.87

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+

Android version: 10

Samsung One UI version: 2.0

Emby server: Synology DS918+

Emby server package version: 4.3.0.30

Hi there, did you explore the download management screen app?

Also, while we value your presence in this community, please refrain from the use of profanity as this is a family friendly environment. Thanks.

There have been so many complaints about it and it's been going on for months.

I don't believe that's true. Can you point me to them?

notla49285

Hi there, did you explore the download management screen app?

If you mean the external (non-Emby) download manager app, then no, as I can't find it anywhere.

notla49285

Every single one of those are old and there have been updates to resolve the issues. We might as well delete those topics if it's going to give you the impression that they're still open issues.

If you mean the external (non-Emby) download manager app, then no, as I can't find it anywhere.

Have you explored download management inside the app?

notla49285

Every single one of those are old and there have been updates to resolve the issues. We might as well delete those topics if it's going to give you the impression that they're still open issues.

I didn't say they were open issues, I said that there had been many complaints about downloads and that the problems had been going on for months.

Have you explored download management inside the app?

Yes, as I said in my original post:

...I figured I must be able to do it in the Downloads -> Manage section of the Emby app. The only option there is to remove a download, which isn't strictly what I want to do, I want to STOP a pending/current download, not REMOVE an existing one, but Remove is the only option so I select that.

It makes no difference to the download, it just carries on, ignoring my request to remove it.

In fact, you even linked to a topic that already answered your question:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75774-downloads-dont-stop/&do=findComment&comment=767815

It doesn't answer my question, as referenced in my original post and the quote above.

As I was trying to find Android's downloads manager the download eventually failed so I've managed to get rid of it. Not a resolution but it means I don't have to deal with Emby downloads any more, so it suits me.

So just to answer this, you would use the cancellation inside the Emby app by deleting the download job.

I do think we should add cancellation directly to the notification as that is a great idea, but we just haven't gotten there yet.

• 4 years later...