Movie / TV Shows download unsuccessful

jakrigg
Go to solution Solved by jakrigg,

jakrigg

Emby server 4.2.0.24 beta

Hi, myself and a couple of my android users are having issues downloading TV / Movies to our phones.

I previously encountered the external storage problem and changed to 'internal' which solved that.

However recently, we can no longer save TV or Movies regardless of the storage location setting. Of note - music downloads fine.

The android download manager just constantly flashes "Download Unsuccessful" - until the item is removed from the download queue on the device.

So far I have:
- cleared the cache on the application
- uninstalled / re-installed
- disabled / re-enabled downloading for the respective users on the server
- restarted both device and server

I've attached Server logs and device screenshots, there are no logs being saved in com.mb.android/files/ on my phone.

I have also just grabed the beta android app - same behaviour unfortunately

please let me know if you have any ideas.

Cheers, Jonny

post-319049-0-57214600-1562138753_thumb.jpg

post-319049-0-23914800-1562138756_thumb.jpg

post-319049-0-56507700-1562138757_thumb.jpg

post-319049-0-91412400-1562138758_thumb.jpg

embyserver030719.txt

Edited by jakrigg
  • Like 1

Hi there, what device and version of android are you downloading to?

Hi Luke, attached is the latest server log on beta 28. Still no go with the downloading of tv / movies

Cheers

Jonnyattachicon.gifembyserver.txt

What device and version of android?

Vidman

i am having the exact same issue after updating my phone from Galaxy s7 to Galaxy s10 (Android 9) . Emby mobile app 3.0.59

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Edited by Vidman

Vidman

has there been any progress with this issue? i just updated to version 3.0.64 of the Android mobile app and downloads are still unsuccessful

has there been any progress with this issue? i just updated to version 3.0.64 of the Android mobile app and downloads are still unsuccessful

Are you downloading to internal or external storage?

Vidman

external. but i have tried internal also to no success.

edit: actually i just retried downloading to internal storage with 3.0.64 and it was successful

Edited by Vidman

Thanks for the feedback. There is an issue with SD cards that we are looking into.

justmejustme

@@Luke Is there any way to debug this ourselves? It really looks like it's getting hung up on a single file and then failing all downloads thereafter for me. When I start removing downloads from the queue list of things to sync, it will sometimes start working if I happen to remove the right one by simply guessing.

Of course, it doesn't help that I have to often restart my chromebook completely before it will even try... only to be unsuccessful.

I need more than "Download unsuccessful" - I need why it was unsuccessful:

• Was it a server-side error?
  • Did conversion fail? Why?
  • Did something run out of disk? What?
  • What file did it fail on?
  • Why can't it just re-queue that file and do the others, then retry it later? It seems to keep things in the same order so that next time it tries, it just fails in the same place, and all consequent syncs fail as well.

And why do I have to restart the entire chromebook for a sync to work?

None of this is in the logs that I can find. There are no client-side logs to be found.

I came to Emby from Plex because Plex can't get their Sync-act together. Emby sync works when it works, but doesn't seem to be any more reliable....

• 2 weeks later...

@@Luke Is there any way to debug this ourselves? It really looks like it's getting hung up on a single file and then failing all downloads thereafter for me. When I start removing downloads from the queue list of things to sync, it will sometimes start working if I happen to remove the right one by simply guessing.

Of course, it doesn't help that I have to often restart my chromebook completely before it will even try... only to be unsuccessful.

I need more than "Download unsuccessful" - I need why it was unsuccessful:

• Was it a server-side error?
  • Did conversion fail? Why?
  • Did something run out of disk? What?
  • What file did it fail on?
  • Why can't it just re-queue that file and do the others, then retry it later? It seems to keep things in the same order so that next time it tries, it just fails in the same place, and all consequent syncs fail as well.

And why do I have to restart the entire chromebook for a sync to work?

None of this is in the logs that I can find. There are no client-side logs to be found.

I came to Emby from Plex because Plex can't get their Sync-act together. Emby sync works when it works, but doesn't seem to be any more reliable....

could this be related to the issue I have... ? -> https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75026-failed-to-download-tv-shows/

jakrigg

Hi Luke, I have tested this again with the new beta .70

- First cleared all downloads from Emby mobile app to start fresh

- Updated to .70

- Tested downloading music albums (2) - works fine

- Tested downloading TV show - says 'syncing' then does nothing

- Tested downloading Movie - says 'syncing' then does nothing.

Download location set to internal

Device - Galaxy S8+

Android log:-

5710c437-00d6-4645-83b7-e717a649c256.log

• Solution
jakrigg

Hi, for anyone else interested in the resolution for my issues above, it was something weird with the device mappings in the server.

I had a situation where attempting to download a TV Show or Movie would do nothing, but register in the 'Download & Sync" dashboard against a different device (an iPhone!) as "ready to Transfer". I also had a device listed as "Unknown Device" which had the same content I was trying to download listed as "ready to Transfer"

First I removed everything against all devices having problems (and the 'unknown device') in the Downloads & Sync board

post-319049-0-14680900-1566870552_thumb.png

The 2 devices that were experiencing the behavior above, needed to be removed from the devices list also:-

post-319049-0-73649900-1566870556_thumb.png

Then when re-launching the app on android, downloading TV or Movies would now say 'Downloading' (not syncing) and complete as expected.

I'm not sure why it was having issues with device mappings - maybe android updates affected the device ID according to emby - dunno.

No idea why download attempts on a samsung were registering on another (remote) users iPhone though

Cheers, Jonny

• 1 month later...