Jump to content

10-bit H.265 HEVC Hardware Acceleration is Broken on 4.3.0.30


Brudertac
 Share

Go to solution Solved by seanbuff,

Recommended Posts

@Robert_84 Can you post a picture of the metadata at the bottom of this video on the details screen?

Also can you go to scheduled tasks, run the rotate log file job, then play the video on the client and upload the server log.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
IronBeardKnight

I'm having this same where by 10bit decoding is broken. 

Encoding works fine but decoding defaults to software.

Running docker with gtx1660 

Yes I followed your setup guide for transcoding and its not config based.

It really is disappointing to see that this issue has been ongoing now for MONTHS along with the age old "its coming in a future release " for tone-mapping as well.

These issues cannot honestly be that hard to implement in a paid software like this when its literal free sister JellyFin already has this issue and many others ironed out. 

I have tested tone mapping commands with jelly fin and they work fine.

I have tested 10bit transcoding with jelly fin and it works fine using gpu for decoding.

Emby you are falling behind as more and more people make 4k stuff the high bitrate stuff the norm, hardware transcoding is essential and not an option anymore.

I setup jelly fin just to test if these issues existed in it which they don't. I'm sad to say it but I am starting to regret paying hard earned money for Emby given the open source version seems to have the important issues mainly ironed out.

Can we expect release dates for these fixes or improvements, are they even on the cards at this point ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, The developers that work on transcoding are already fully involved in another project at the moment which is why this is schedule for a future release.  It's not a simple as you think it is and Jellyfin does not do 10 bit hardware transcoding so I'm not sure what you tested.  Even their documentation states this https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/hardware-acceleration.html "10-bit is not supported by NVIDIA acceleration"

Jellyfin is not even close to Emby GPU transcoding!

I'm not sure why you think "These issues cannot honestly be that hard to implement in a paid software" as there are rather involved to get right for CPU (Intel & AMD), QSV, Nvidia & AMD GPUs, not just partial support on some platforms and/or operating systems.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IronBeardKnight
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, The developers that work on transcoding are already fully involved in another project at the moment which is why this is schedule for a future release.  It's not a simple as you think it is and Jellyfin does not do 10 bit hardware transcoding so I'm not sure what you tested.  Even their documentation states this https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/hardware-acceleration.html "10-bit is not supported by NVIDIA acceleration"

Jellyfin is not even close to Emby GPU transcoding!

I'm not sure why you think "These issues cannot honestly be that hard to implement in a paid software" as there are rather involved to get right for CPU (Intel & AMD), QSV, Nvidia & AMD GPUs, not just partial support on some platforms and/or operating systems.

 

Better some than none mate. :)  quickest way to find yourself behind the competition is to stop innovating on thing the people clearly want. 

Do a simple google search "10bit Emby" and you will see not much positivity going around on the subject.


A good portion of people running emby are using it on a low power machine that cannot afford to be decoding on the cpu for 10bit and they have a small gpu to do the job well the late model gpu's ones at least. No point in keeping everyone in the dark for only a few technologies that cannot support it.
 

 

image.png.b6ac17f294a458b35718b5520c5bcb53.png

 

Case and Point your wrong and it does do transcoding of 10-bit.

From my testing its pretty darn close to the level if not better in transcoding. 

Edited by IronBeardKnight
forgot to add the picture
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is no 10 bit encoding there only decoding.  We'll have this soon but like I said the resources needed to work on this are presently working on another project that people will get more use from.  This other project will leave JellyFin far behind.

Most of my files are 10 bit encoded and Emby handles decoding via CPU pretty easily on my system at least.

edit: meant CPU not GPU above.

Edited by cayars
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IronBeardKnight
1 hour ago, cayars said:

There is no 10 bit encoding there only decoding.  We'll have this soon but like I said the resources needed to work on this are presently working on another project that people will get more use from.  This other project will leave JellyFin far behind.

Most of my files are 10 bit encoded and Emby handles decoding via GPU pretty easily on my system at least.

Decoding on emby for 10bit files does not happen on emby  (Not working ) and it (always now) defaults to software cpu.

To clarify the definition I used. Transcoding as the title suggests is the process of transfering one media type to another or changing containers.

You are correct in that neither does 10bit encoding which is ok that it encodes at a lower rate that is not the issue here. The issue is that we cannot decode the media via hardware as jellyfin already does.

Interesting news that your working on a new project in the realm of transcoding I look forward to seeing the claims come to light  :) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, IronBeardKnight said:

Decoding on emby for 10bit files does not happen on emby  (Not working ) and it (always now) defaults to software cpu.

To clarify the definition I used. Transcoding as the title suggests is the process of transfering one media type to another or changing containers.

You are correct in that neither does 10bit encoding which is ok that it encodes at a lower rate that is not the issue here. The issue is that we cannot decode the media via hardware as jellyfin already does.

Interesting news that your working on a new project in the realm of transcoding I look forward to seeing the claims come to light  :) 

 

We agree Emby doesn't decode in hardware 10 bit files YET (will in the future)  but it does do this via CPU so it's not "lacking", just not the optimal path to decode, we both want.  It IS an enhancement the team WILL make in the near future but can't be done right now as some of the devs are full time, others team members part time on something else at the moment that is much bigger to Emby overall for customers and requests.

I don't think it's any secret to anyone that reads the forums that @softworkz does most of the GPU transcoding work and  this type of thing is best left to a single person to work on this type of thing (as it can get tricky) to assure things work on all platforms and OSes. He has spent tons of hours/weeks just studying document before writing a single line of code.  He is presently neck deep in the many enhancements/rewrite of Live TV which is closing in on a "alpha" release of everything that's been working on in regard to Live TV.  As one of the testers I can say this will be a game changer for many people feature wise and will rival the best of any Live TV setup out there (for most people) once released.  I'm not one for hype, but it's going to win a lot of folks over to Emby with it's feature set, additional hardware support and advanced controls, yet easy to use and setup for advanced features, much automated!  No longer will someone need to use Myth or TV Headend to get high end TV features as they will be built in to Emby. Most plugins for TV won't be needed as well. There will be no comparison of Jellyfin to Emby when it comes to TV after this release!

Features, fixes, issues and Enhancements to Live TV make up a bulk of requests for Emby over the last few years and we are working hard on delivering a very solid "next generation" platform for Live TV.  Once this makes it to a release a lot of resources will be released to work on some other things.  But right now this is the "hot project" that is getting a lot of resource time by many resources. Of course while this development is ongoing we're still getting client updates and other server updates released.

That's probably more than I should say, but don't think it's a secret for anyone reading the forums and knowing who works on what.  10 bit decoding will come "soonish" but Live TV is the high priority right now.

We will get to 10 bit decode in hardware (if you have the hardware to use for this) as well as HDR.  These are likely priority 2 & 3 after the new Live TV so it's not far off.  But in the mean time 10 bit decoding can be done via CPU while encoding can be done via GPU so thing do work, just maybe not optimal to your specific hardware.

At the end of the day, there are only so many resources that can work on any one thing at a time. We try and schedule these things to help the most people at any one time.  Right now Live TV is the top priority but enhancements to GPU transcoding will follow shortly.

Carlo

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IronBeardKnight
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

We agree Emby doesn't decode in hardware 10 bit files YET (will in the future)  but it does do this via CPU so it's not "lacking", just not the optimal path to decode, we both want.  It IS an enhancement the team WILL make in the near future but can't be done right now as some of the devs are full time, others team members part time on something else at the moment that is much bigger to Emby overall for customers and requests.

I don't think it's any secret to anyone that reads the forums that @softworkz does most of the GPU transcoding work and  this type of thing is best left to a single person to work on this type of thing (as it can get tricky) to assure things work on all platforms and OSes. He has spent tons of hours/weeks just studying document before writing a single line of code.  He is presently neck deep in the many enhancements/rewrite of Live TV which is closing in on a "alpha" release of everything that's been working on in regard to Live TV.  As one of the testers I can say this will be a game changer for many people feature wise and will rival the best of any Live TV setup out there (for most people) once released.  I'm not one for hype, but it's going to win a lot of folks over to Emby with it's feature set, additional hardware support and advanced controls, yet easy to use and setup for advanced features, much automated!  No longer will someone need to use Myth or TV Headend to get high end TV features as they will be built in to Emby. Most plugins for TV won't be needed as well. There will be no comparison of Jellyfin to Emby when it comes to TV after this release!

Features, fixes, issues and Enhancements to Live TV make up a bulk of requests for Emby over the last few years and we are working hard on delivering a very solid "next generation" platform for Live TV.  Once this makes it to a release a lot of resources will be released to work on some other things.  But right now this is the "hot project" that is getting a lot of resource time by many resources. Of course while this development is ongoing we're still getting client updates and other server updates released.

That's probably more than I should say, but don't think it's a secret for anyone reading the forums and knowing who works on what.  10 bit decoding will come "soonish" but Live TV is the high priority right now.

We will get to 10 bit decode in hardware (if you have the hardware to use for this) as well as HDR.  These are likely priority 2 & 3 after the new Live TV so it's not far off.  But in the mean time 10 bit decoding can be done via CPU while encoding can be done via GPU so thing do work, just maybe not optimal to your specific hardward.

At the end of the day, there are only so many resources that can work on any one thing at a time. We try and schedule these things to help the most people at any one time.  Right now Live TV is the top priority but enhancements to GPU transcoding will follow shortly.

Carlo

Awesome write up with great information. 

I pay for foxtel in Australia and our free to air channel selection is sub par to some other countries so I don't really use the live tv function on emby at all other than some local channel that consistently get dropped so its not really a game changer for me as such. I'm more interested in having the best possible movie experience from my media / rip files that I can but its understandable that live tv integrations are something the masses do want so it sounds good to my ears to hear these things. Lets hope for speedy stable releases :) 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IronBeardKnight
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you please provide the details of an example that we can look at? Thanks.

I will hang tight Luke as @cayars has stated some of the sort after features are coming soon and are very close in line.

I just found it ridiculous to see 50% usage on a 2920x just for decoding of a 4k 10bit when I could see no usage and barely any usage on my 1660 using hardware decoding with a  very similar platform (granted very different in some respects).

Thank you for your time and the insight into developments current direction :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's coming, but we're just trying to be realistic with timelines for you.

These are high priority issues but ranking behind Live TV which will benefit many more people.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10-bit H.265 HEVC Hardware Acceleration is NOT Broken

Hi Guys,

I'm afraid, but this has turned into a phantom discussion with little substance. The reported issue at the beginning of this conversation was real but it had been resolved long ago. 

From then on, various "me-too" voices have jumped in, thinking this would be "their" issue. But in fact, there doesn't exist something like a common "10bit HEVC decoding problem" in Emby (anymore).

This conversation was about Intel Graphics hw acceleration via VAAPI. As of today, I am not aware of any problem with 10bit HEVC decoding in a setup like this (except when the hardware cannot decode 10bit HEVC in the first place). From that perspective, this conversation would be due for completion.

In later posts, there were mentions of 10bit  HEVC decoding via Nvidia hwa. There are currently one major and one or two minor issues known with Nvidia HEVC decoding.
The major one's impact is roughly about like "50% of HEVC 10bit video decoding through Nvidia is working fine while the other 50% are causing green screen or visual artifacts from decoding (but those 50% only among 10 bit HEVC videos).

In those cases, we have been suggesting to use software decoders (or other hw decoders) instead of the Nvidia HEVC decoder.

  • If that is your issue => this will be resolved very soon
    .
  • If not => Please create a new issue including logs and a detailed error description
    (please don't post it here)

Thanks and best regards,
softworkz

Edited by softworkz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sound advise.  Maybe we should close this thread at this time on that note so specific issues can be dealt with in their own threads?  @Happy2Play

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

HDR Tone mapping when transcoding will be in Emby Server 4.6. Stay tuned to the beta channel over the next week if you'd like to help test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...