Problems with new player interface

psmc

Disorganise

FWIW, some feedback on the new interface:  My setup is configured to download only 'release' and it updated itself Sunday 22/6 or Monday iirc.  I quite like the look - I only used it to watch a couple of MKVs, but having the shows logo etc pop up is nice.  However, I had to disable it on the 2nd night as the better half complained.  The problem is that shows often flash something up on screen that we don't fully get to read (eg, the characters find a written letter, or pull open a wallet to extract the ID), so we'll often go back and hit pause.  Unfortunately, pause dims the screen and overlays giant pause symbol - result being that whilst paused you can't read anything on the motionless picture.

I went looking for an option to disable the pause screen, but only found the option to disable the whole interface so that's what I've done for now.

I quite liked the visual cue for the pause, but would request the option for it to disappear after a few seconds.  Up until the point of the pause 'issue' I hadn't noticed any problems - my skip/back buttons worked as normal within media centre control.

• Like 1

buddyweiser

There is an option in configuration under the playback tab to disable the new interface for dvd rips.

• Like 1

wolfmanla

How do I get around of not being able to play DVD's that are stuck on the menu section? Nothing seems to work. Is there an easy fix?

FWIW, some feedback on the new interface:  My setup is configured to download only 'release' and it updated itself Sunday 22/6 or Monday iirc.  I quite like the look - I only used it to watch a couple of MKVs, but having the shows logo etc pop up is nice.  However, I had to disable it on the 2nd night as the better half complained.  The problem is that shows often flash something up on screen that we don't fully get to read (eg, the characters find a written letter, or pull open a wallet to extract the ID), so we'll often go back and hit pause.  Unfortunately, pause dims the screen and overlays giant pause symbol - result being that whilst paused you can't read anything on the motionless picture.

I went looking for an option to disable the pause screen, but only found the option to disable the whole interface so that's what I've done for now.

I quite liked the visual cue for the pause, but would request the option for it to disappear after a few seconds.  Up until the point of the pause 'issue' I hadn't noticed any problems - my skip/back buttons worked as normal within media centre control.

Can you give me a screen shot of where this is a problem?

On my setup everything is still very visible (although dimmed a bit).

Dev version 189 adds zoom capability to the new interface.

Also, Xbox people - please try number entry with this new version...

• Like 1

number entry still not working for us xbox people sadly ebr :(

Then I'm afraid I have no idea what else to try.  I'm trapping both types of number keys that exist.  I don't know what the extender is doing to pass numbers.

buddyweiser

Then I'm afraid I have no idea what else to try. I'm trapping both types of number keys that exist. I don't know what the extender is doing to pass numbers.

I can do some testing if needed. Is there any way to find out what the xbox is using as number keys? A way to sort of map the numbers? I have a chat pad attached to my xbox 360,as well as a Microsoft xbox 360 media remote. I have a laptop with an ir port so if I could somehow use that to read what the remote is putting out? I have no idea how I would do something like this though...

iam4uk

The new playback interface is great, but can you please eliminate or permit the optional disabling of the pause-symbol overlay?

• Like 1

The new playback interface is great, but can you please eliminate or permit the optional disabling of the pause-symbol overlay?

Why?  A visual cue like that is pretty standard in modern players.  It lets you know the video isn't just frozen or buffering or something like that.

• Like 1

iam4uk

I can see when the image is not moving, and my setup doesn't buffer. Couldn't a buffer overlay serve better?

It is just some positive feedback as to state.  The buffering thing was just one example.

I've had a number of people comment that they like the new indicator and I'm trying to mimic more modern players so I'm leaving it for now - subject to more feedback.

iam4uk

Thank you, ebr, and truly great work. Here's one "vote" for a defeatable or only-temporary pause overlay. Or, a much smaller, non-center-screen indicator.

buddyweiser

Keep the pause symbol I say! I agree it does keep with more modern players.

Keep it, it's looks professional. Any improvements whatsoever, no matter how small or unimportant that make MB look like it's 'keeping up with the times' is surely a positive.

fraenhawk

I like the symbol, but I'm all about options, if there was just more toggle options for the player like "show pause" or "show remaining time vs end time" I think everyone would be happy. 

CWNashvegas

If a toggle for the pause symbol would be easy to implement, then options are good. Otherwise, I vote to keep it. 

I like the symbol, but I'm all about options, if there was just more toggle options for the player like "show pause" or "show remaining time vs end time" I think everyone would be happy. 

Actually, no everyone isn't happy with options.  Tweakers are happy, normal users are overwhelmed and confused :).

MBC already has about 200 too many options so I'm trying to streamline as much as possible.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  Keep it coming.

fraenhawk

Aww, now you make me want a custom title over my name that says "Tweaker" instead of Advanced Member  :P

• Like 1

MikeyMan

I don't really understand the whole problem with the pause screen. Although it does seem to block the photo-screensaver.

I don't really understand the whole problem with the pause screen. Although it does seem to block the photo-screensaver.

So far only one or two folks have not liked it.  Most have.

I'm seeing if I can allow the screen saver during extended pauses but it could get tricky as we aren't always notified properly by WMC of these types of things so I'm being safe and stopping all screensavers during playback.

Logos302

One thing that might make the tweakers happy is an advanced tab that can be enabled/disabled (Disabled by default).  With all this stuff available on it.  I like the pause button but I also like to have options, even if I never use them :).