Problems with new player interface

psmc

tmservo

Mine doesn't crash, but I can't watch any videos at all now.. it acts like they are all on micro-fast forward.. I just get bits and pieces and only audio after an update..

Deihmos

You mean without this new enhancement, or you are having a problem selecting chapters in MKVs with the new interface...?

Without the enhancement it is impossible I mean. 

Mine doesn't crash, but I can't watch any videos at all now.. it acts like they are all on micro-fast forward.. I just get bits and pieces and only audio after an update..

Does this reproduce consistently and on every video or only certain ones or certain types?  Which types?

Does it not happen if you turn off the custom player interface?

What codecs do you have installed?

Is this on a main PC or an extender?

iam4uk

@@ebr --

Congratulations and thanks for the work on this new interface for playback.  After learning how it works, I am very glad to have the capabilities it brings.  And it looks great, also.  Adding the user-config options for duration/persistance of the overlay, default skip-length, etc., makes this one of the best new features in MBC.

Thanks.  Just FYI - I am going to be changing the skip functionality a bit.  I will remove my custom value you can define and use the already defined skip forward and skip back amounts in WMC.  You will still be able to enter an amount and skip that many seconds.  Just if you don't enter a number, it will use the pre-defined amounts that already exist.

steelman1991

Thanks.  Just FYI - I am going to be changing the skip functionality a bit.  I will remove my custom value you can define and use the already defined skip forward and skip back amounts in WMC.  You will still be able to enter an amount and skip that many seconds.  Just if you don't enter a number, it will use the pre-defined amounts that already exist.

Is there a reason? Quite liked the ability to set those values (pre-defined values if I remember are only about 30 seconds either way - though not certain).

Edited by steelman1991

Is there a reason? Quite liked the ability to set those values (pre-defined values if I remember are only about 30 seconds either way - though not certain).

I was just wanting to align more with what people were expecting.  However, it turns out that I need my own values because invoking the built-in skip functionality sends me into an infinite loop since I am also trapping when you hit the skip button.

So, there will be separate back and forward skip amounts in the Playback config page.

• Like 1

iam4uk

One suggestion for improvement: remove the huge pause icon from mid-screen during pause. Thanks again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

inzombyac

It's different. She has difficulty with anything that's different!!

I can just imagine her pressing skip but not enter, endlessly no matter how many times I tell her...

I love the new UI, but similar to Lee, I will have a tough time selling this one to my wife because of the behavior changes.  Some suggestions for button press behavior:

• Change the skip/replay button mappings to do the normal media center skip (doesn't alienate people)
  • Do a chapter skip (current behavior) on double press of skip (minus the OK button press)
  • Use the fast forward / rewind buttons for the current seek functionality that you get when you press left or right on the remote  (minus the OK button press).  The idea would be to hold it it to seek and release to jump to the section where you want to be

Netbug

I just started using this and didn't want to make a new thread, but uh... I can't seem to get it to work the way I think it should?

I only have mouse control (I don't have a strong remote). In previous versions, when I moved the cursor, the progress bar came up at the bottom and I could click to move to a point in the media. With this new one, when I move the cursor, it doesn't come up. I've discovered that pressing Esc brings it up, but I cannot interact with it (when I click at any point on the progress bar, nothing happens).

So basically, I have to watch all media from the beginning, and I can't get the progress bar to come up reliably. :/

It's pretty though... any way I can disable it for the time being though?

I love the new UI, but similar to Lee, I will have a tough time selling this one to my wife because of the behavior changes.  Some suggestions for button press behavior:

• Change the skip/replay button mappings to do the normal media center skip (doesn't alienate people)
  • Do a chapter skip (current behavior) on double press of skip (minus the OK button press)
  • Use the fast forward / rewind buttons for the current seek functionality that you get when you press left or right on the remote  (minus the OK button press).  The idea would be to hold it it to seek and release to jump to the section where you want to be

That kind of fine control of button presses would be difficult to make work reliably.  There is a delay with many IR remotes and presses are missed, etc.  There is also really no such thing as holding down a button with an IR remote (some of them just autorepeat).

In any case, I really like the new chapter navigation capability.  I think it makes the system operate like an interactive menu and, while it is different in some respects, I think, once known, it is a great improvement.

In the normal MCE player, the skip buttons have no effect at all in videos like MKVs and, in a DVD, they move by chapter.  My functionality does the same thing but in a way that, IMO, is much easier to navigate and works in any file type.  So, in both instances, it is an improvement although a change.

We'll just have to see what kind of adoption or revolt it creates after it is out there for a while.  People who really don't like it can disable the interface altogether.

Netbug

"Skipping Enter numbers on the remote and hit FF or Rew to skip ahead or back that many seconds."

I don't have a FF or Rew button on my mouse, nor chapter skip buttons.

"Options The use of this new interface and the default timeout for the overlay and skip amounts are configurable per user in the new Playback config page."

I'll have a look at this when I get home. :)

Edited by Netbug

Mouse interaction with the seekbar works for me.  Clicking anywhere on the seek bar takes me to that point in the video.  Moving the mouse, also makes the overlay appear.  Not sure why it isn't working for you.

What happens if you use any other key other than Esc to produce the interface?

Netbug

After a complete restart, I can now interact with it, however, it still does not appear when I move the cursor. I have to press a button.

Other keypresses aside from esc do bring up the interface. That's less of a problem, just slightly annoying that I have to hit a key first.

fraenhawk

In the normal MCE player, the skip buttons have no effect at all in videos like MKVs and, in a DVD, they move by chapter.  My functionality does the same thing but in a way that, IMO, is much easier to navigate and works in any file type.  So, in both instances, it is an improvement although a change.

I think you have that backwards though. In the normal MCE player, the FF/RW buttons have no effect on MKVs. It's the skip buttons that work as the forward 30/back 10. So my wife was trying to jump past credits on the new system and hitting what she knows as the "skip 30 seconds button" and instead was going forward 5 minutes. So by switching the skip 30 onto a completely different button it's added an initial layer of confusion to the roll out.

Muscle memory is a hard thing to change after years of feeling your way to the correct button on the remote :)

Edited by fraenhawk

SteveGoossens

Does anyone else have random pausing on videos?

I've updated MediaBrowser Classic today, and after being annoyed by the chapter seek (who seeks by chapters?!) instead of the usual +30/-15s, we sat down to watch an episode and it started randomly pausing the video for maybe ~8s at random intervals.

Windows 8.1 Pro Retail with WMC

Ati HD5550 -> HDMI -> LG TV

Media is served by RAID-5 QNAP NAS over 1 Gb Ethernet.

Negligible load on NAS, other clients/devices are fine.

Wish I could just roll back easily... really not liking the spazzy chapter seek (the left arrow on MCE remote also doesn't increment back unless I press the right arrow first), and the video pausing makes for unwatchable viewing.

Hope you can roll out fixes soon, at the moment I'd consider it broken.

SteveGoossens

nm, pausing issue also happens with WMP, just to a lesser extent

(update) ignore the pausing... probably just an ARP cache issue on my network, resolved now

Anyway, left arrow only after right arrow is still a bug for me (but I don't even use this navigation method, so only care because of the seek fwd/back being different, resorting to left/right increment/decrement to go forward or back for any time less than a chapter), and looking forward to the skip forward/back being restored to increment/decrement playback position (e.g. +30/-15) rather than chapter seek >.<

Lol, keep up the good work, glad to see progress and development on an already great piece of software! :)

Edited by SteveGoossens

DGMayor

Wish I could just roll back easily... really not liking the spazzy chapter seek (the left arrow on MCE remote also doesn't increment back unless I press the right arrow first), and the video pausing makes for unwatchable viewing.

Hope you can roll out fixes soon, at the moment I'd consider it broken.

You can always disable the new player interface in the settings and use the built in one you had before.

Deihmos

You can always disable the new player interface in the settings and use the built in one you had before.

I guess some people didn't realize that it can be disabled. Imo media control provides the best ff/rewind, chapter skip and even subtitles in wmc but only works with ffdshow. U really wish wmc had native support for these things.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Aussiedroid

I really love the new interface, but I am having some issues with it as well.

Previously, with the standard interface on my remote I could skip forward 30secs with one click (helpful for skipping TV Show title sequences). When I attempt this with the new interface it jumps to the next chapter marker. I can do it using the arrows on the remote to skip forward/back in smaller steps but it seems hard to do now in comparrison. It would be great if you could still use the quick skip forward, although I beleive that is how it should work?

The bigger issue for me is that it crashes MBC every time a video ends. Seems to be any type of file, tv or movie or doco. 

gotkids

I really love the new interface, but I am having some issues with it as well.

Previously, with the standard interface on my remote I could skip forward 30secs with one click (helpful for skipping TV Show title sequences). When I attempt this with the new interface it jumps to the next chapter marker. I can do it using the arrows on the remote to skip forward/back in smaller steps but it seems hard to do now in comparrison. It would be great if you could still use the quick skip forward, although I beleive that is how it should work?

The bigger issue for me is that it crashes MBC every time a video ends. Seems to be any type of file, tv or movie or doco. 

I am having the same issue with MBC crashing every time a video ends, its very annoying, has only been introduced on the latest build.

Please see the guide that is pinned at the top of this forum.

You can skip any number of seconds by punching in a number and hitting FF or Rew.  Or just hit FF to skip ahead 30 seconds or Rew to jump back 10.  Both of those amounts are configurable as well.

More seeking capabilities will be coming in the future as well.

fraenhawk

I think you have that backwards though. In the normal MCE player, the FF/RW buttons have no effect on MKVs. It's the skip buttons that work as the forward 30/back 10. So my wife was trying to jump past credits on the new system and hitting what she knows as the "skip 30 seconds button" and instead was going forward 5 minutes. So by switching the skip 30 onto a completely different button it's added an initial layer of confusion to the roll out.

Muscle memory is a hard thing to change after years of feeling your way to the correct button on the remote :)

Please see the guide that is pinned at the top of this forum.

You can skip any number of seconds by punching in a number and hitting FF or Rew.  Or just hit FF to skip ahead 30 seconds or Rew to jump back 10.  Both of those amounts are configurable as well.

More seeking capabilities will be coming in the future as well.

Any chance of a setting for swapping the FF/RW vs Skip button functions? Because you picked the opposite buttons from the normal WMC interface to use for skipping ahead now I have to remember that if I'm in a video_ts/live tv/recorded tv scenario to use the skip buttons to jump 30 seconds, but in the new interface to use the ff/rw buttons. I understand if you were designing from the ground up (like for MBT) that using the skip/chapter forw/back buttons made sense for the 5 minute breaks, but since MBC is meant to be in a mixed WMC environment it seems an odd choice to repurpose the buttons.

• Like 2