Problems with new player interface

psmc

buddyweiser

Is it just me... I see the new player now does not go full screen on a xbox extender.

Have a look over this forum: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/7937-underscan-after-latest-update/

Some people have had success with fixing this issue, however I also still do not have fullscreen playback on my 360 extender.

manicjonah

I like the new interface a lot.  I had to read the forums a little to realize what was going on.  Now that I understand I have two issues I can't resolve:

• On my HTPC video is windowed.  Again, this is not on an extender its on my Windows 7 Ultimate HTPC.  This is a deal breaker, how do I fix it?
  • When I press the FF button to skip ahead 30 seconds I can't push the button multiple times in a row.  At first I thought I was pressing the FF button on my Logitech Harmony One remote too quickly but even after I slowed down the FF appears to reload the video milliseconds before the scene that I'm trying to fast forward.  For example, if a commercial comes on at 12:30 seconds (on the timeline) and I press FF, the video picks up at 12:30 as though I had just fast forwarded to that point.  Further testing is showing that if I wait a couple of seconds between key (FF) presses the skip works as designed.  I used to press the skip button 5 or 6 times in a row real quick to zip past the commericals.  I'd like to be able to do that again.

Thanks for the help!

MJ

inzombyac

Any chance of a setting for swapping the FF/RW vs Skip button functions? Because you picked the opposite buttons from the normal WMC interface to use for skipping ahead now I have to remember that if I'm in a video_ts/live tv/recorded tv scenario to use the skip buttons to jump 30 seconds, but in the new interface to use the ff/rw buttons. I understand if you were designing from the ground up (like for MBT) that using the skip/chapter forw/back buttons made sense for the 5 minute breaks, but since MBC is meant to be in a mixed WMC environment it seems an odd choice to repurpose the buttons.

This would sell me on the new player interface.  I don't use media control so my FF/RW buttons are useless.  I would like consistent behavior between watching Recorded TV and MKV's.

Yogi

I like the new interface a lot.  I had to read the forums a little to realize what was going on.  Now that I understand I have two issues I can't resolve:

• When I press the FF button to skip ahead 30 seconds I can't push the button multiple times in a row.  At first I thought I was pressing the FF button on my Logitech Harmony One remote too quickly but even after I slowed down the FF appears to reload the video milliseconds before the scene that I'm trying to fast forward.  For example, if a commercial comes on at 12:30 seconds (on the timeline) and I press FF, the video picks up at 12:30 as though I had just fast forwarded to that point.  Further testing is showing that if I wait a couple of seconds between key (FF) presses the skip works as designed.  I used to press the skip button 5 or 6 times in a row real quick to zip past the commericals.  I'd like to be able to do that again.

Thanks for the help!

MJ

Yeh same thing happens here,would be nice to just press as needed and not have to wait those few seconds

Edited by Yogi

MrFlibbles

Is anyone else having an issue with the overlay popping up during playback without any prompting? Often while watching a show the overlay pops up when I'm no where near the remote and then disappears after the configured time out. I have only experienced it 2 or 3 times and never more than once during an episode, but my wife said she had the overlay appear multiple times during one episode. The Logitech Harmony remotes do detect when you pickup/move the remotes, is it possible something is being detected by MBC as legit activity?

Do I have an issue with my remote or are others experiencing something similar?

MrFlibbles

Is there a mouse attached to the machine?  Subwoofer making it move?

damm, never considered that, yes there is. How do you do that?! :)

Thanks, will investigate.

bloodtaker

ebr is right on the money i have to turn my mouse upside down if i have the volume up anything over 5 on my system and it goes up to 50 and 100 lol. 50 is in wmc7  which i normally leave at 5 on that and stay between 5 and 10 on my surround sound system

i thought i was going crazy at first to lol. as it would do it when a big boomy sound would hit didn't dawn on me for a couple of instances that it was the bass causing it.

LegioX

Yeh same thing happens here,would be nice to just press as needed and not have to wait those few seconds

I have the same issue

Sharmy

EBR. The New player interface disables the WMC screensaver (does not kick in). Turning the interface off restores the WMC screensaver functionality. I saw this in the dev releases but did not make the link to the new player interface.

Edited by Sharmy

ewcrider

I like the look of the new interface, so great job.  One main problem I have is PageUp and PageDown, which map to channel up/down functions on the remote. I use the shuffle play function a lot for tv shows, and PageUp (used to) skip to the next episode.

Those of you who had trouble with the skipping and seeking functions in the new interface please install the dev build just put up and see if it is more like what you expect.

Please see the modified usage guide for how the operations work now.

• Like 1

scsherman

Overall I like the new interface but do have similar concerns to other users. The visual elements are a very nice feature update.

1. Skipping setup. I too would prefer the 30 second jumps to be more in line with WMC type controls. I don't get why they were inverted for a MBC plugin to WMC. When I hit the Skip FWD/REV buttons on my remote I expect it to give me the quick 30 second jump and not a 2 stage chapter skip menu. It may seem intuitive to you, but to me it is exactly the opposite. It is uncomfortable and in my opinion an unneeded change to a player that was working perfectly as it was. I am would be fine with adding the chapter skip functionality to the FWD/REV buttons since I rarely if ever used them and jumping closer to where I want to be would be more useful than scanning.

2. Skipping performance issue. When I use FWD/REV to do the 30 second jumps I have to pause and wait about 3-4 seconds before I can hit it again to do multiple skips in a row (ie. title sequence, unskipped commercials, etc.). I was able to do this seamlessly before, just as I can with recorded TV in WMC, and now if I hit it too fast it keeps going back to the same skip point like a broken record.

gthrift

I'm running this on two different HTPCs and have two completely different experiences.  The main HTPC is an Intel NUC and it looks awesome.  

The 2nd HTPC is an AMD nettop (like intel atom).  On the 2nd HTPC I had to disable the new interface because the media would begin playing in the background but the entire interface will freeze up and eventually I have to remote in and end the WMC process.  I don't know if it's a performance issue as I haven't dug into it yet since I'm focusing on an upcoming move.  All I know is that when I have the new interface enabled, I can hear the audio but the video is frozen on the details screen.  

Overall I like the new interface but do have similar concerns to other users. The visual elements are a very nice feature update.

1. Skipping setup. I too would prefer the 30 second jumps to be more in line with WMC type controls. I don't get why they were inverted for a MBC plugin to WMC. When I hit the Skip FWD/REV buttons on my remote I expect it to give me the quick 30 second jump and not a 2 stage chapter skip menu. It may seem intuitive to you, but to me it is exactly the opposite. It is uncomfortable and in my opinion an unneeded change to a player that was working perfectly as it was. I am would be fine with adding the chapter skip functionality to the FWD/REV buttons since I rarely if ever used them and jumping closer to where I want to be would be more useful than scanning.

2. Skipping performance issue. When I use FWD/REV to do the 30 second jumps I have to pause and wait about 3-4 seconds before I can hit it again to do multiple skips in a row (ie. title sequence, unskipped commercials, etc.). I was able to do this seamlessly before, just as I can with recorded TV in WMC, and now if I hit it too fast it keeps going back to the same skip point like a broken record.

Those of you who had trouble with the skipping and seeking functions in the new interface please install the dev build just put up and see if it is more like what you expect.

Please see the modified usage guide for how the operations work now.

Sounds like either codecs or graphics driver issues on the machine with problems.

it is possible some really low-powered machines won't be able to use the new interface - although I haven't really seen reports of that yet and I have no issues on any of my setups.

AdrianW

When starting playback from a particular chapter and then using the new chapter skip functions, it starts from chapter 1 - so skip forward will move to chapter 2 even though I may already be half way through the video.

Then if I stop playback and start from the beginning again, and then use chapter skip - it continues from the last point I'd skipped to.

Surely starting (or restarting) playback should reset the chapter position used by skip.

Right now, that is how it is designed because it is more of a menu than a skip - different mindset.  

Darktree

First got to say I love the new Player interface, makes WMC feel brand new. Thanks for the hard work.

But just updated to latest beta, 3.0.185.0, and now having problems.

The |<< button is skipping back 10 seconds okay, but when I use >>| its starts to fast forwards rather than skip.... :(

All my files are MP4.

In the previous beta << and >> were skipping but I had the same issue as others in that if you press too quick the player stayed in place rather than moving. 

Any ideas.

Thanks

iam4uk

Just noticed a quirk with the new interface:  it effectively crashes MBC and Win7MC when used during playback of .WTV recordings.  I worked around that problem by disabling the new timeline interface before re-attempting to play the .WTV episode; that worked.

I still am enthused about the new interface for playback, and congratulate ebr on great work.  It has potential, much of which is already achieved.

First got to say I love the new Player interface, makes WMC feel brand new. Thanks for the hard work.

But just updated to latest beta, 3.0.185.0, and now having problems.

The |>| its starts to fast forwards rather than skip.... :(

All my files are MP4.

In the previous beta > were skipping but I had the same issue as others in that if you press too quick the player stayed in place rather than moving. 

Any ideas.

Thanks

Are you sure your >>| key is mapped properly on your remote?

Just noticed a quirk with the new interface:  it effectively crashes MBC and Win7MC when used during playback of .WTV recordings.  I worked around that problem by disabling the new timeline interface before re-attempting to play the .WTV episode; that worked.

I still am enthused about the new interface for playback, and congratulate ebr on great work.  It has potential, much of which is already achieved.

Can you please give more information on this?  What does "used during playback" mean?  Exactly what did you do?  Errors in event log?  MBC log?

iam4uk

Can you please give more information on this? What does "used during playback" mean? Exactly what did you do? Errors in event log? MBC log?

I pressed ff to skip ahead. Crashed, indicating I must either restart WMC or reboot computer. Logs unavailable at present, but I will look at them later.