HDR video displaying with washed out colours

mirkster

mirkster

I have an HDR smartphone (Huawei Mate 10 Pro) and when I view HDR videos, they direct play fine but the colours are all washed out. Non HDR videos dont have this issue. I can watch HDR videos with other apps and the colours are fine. I have also tested this with the Plex app on the same video file and it direct plays in HDR with perfect colours. This issue is the only thing stopping me from ditching Plex and moving fully to Emby.

I am using Emby for Android app version 3.0.87 and Emby server 4.2.1.0.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I don't want to force a transcode as Emby is running on a Synology and 4K transcodes hit the CPU hard.

mirkster

I didnt know that Emby uses mpv-android for playback. I downloaded mpv-android separately and tested with the same results. Then I used the phones built in video player and that looked fine, colours looked correct and playback appeared even smoother.

For testing I purposes I am using this demo file but the issues is with all 4K HDR content.

https://4kmedia.org/lg-colors-of-journey-demo/

I guess this issue need be fixed by the mpv-adroid team then, I will log it on their github page.

mirkster

Yes that is the issue I opened on MPV's github after you provided the previous links. ;)

Looks like I am not the only one with the issue then. Hopefully we can get it fixed there and then the fix will eventually appear in the Emby for Android client?