Emby Server can't see usb drives after remount

GrantWells

GrantWells

Recently moved (from Windows 7 server) to a shield pro platform with 2 external usb3 drives on one usb port.  Finding Plex works well there but Emby has been particularly frustrating.

Periodically the 2 usb drives spontaneously (perhaps upon load when moving files to it) dismount and are un-available.  Powering off and back on the external drives (drives only not the shield) remounts the drives and re-instates the shares to the network.

After the power back on... plex sees the drives and media folders and works normally but Emby server (4.30.14)  can't see the media folders and associated artwork.    All artwork files etc are fine on the external drives... Emby just doesn't see them.

Is there a fix without rebooting the shield or Emby Server process?  Seems like a bug to me.

Any help is appreciated...

GrantWells

Plug usb drives (single unit has 2 slots for 2 drives) into back of shield.  Shield automatically sees them.  Under emby settings then library .... add media... use picklist to select the drive / directories.

It came back (without me doing anything) in about 4 or 5 hours ... maybe after a scheduled library scan.  I haven't touched it since.  I had one other time the shield (not emby or plex) lost connection to the drives during the first Emby setup (large library) which seemed to result in tons of artwork not showing.. perhaps corrupted library.db although I tried deleting that and having it re-scan and still ended up un-installing and starting fresh.

Also having trouble with the scheduled job (daily) to create thumbnail images (chapters for movies) during library scan.  Includes large 4k library which I figure takes quite some time but i gave it 10 hours and it was stuck at 7.x% after 8 hours... Ended up killing the job.

Also having trouble with the scheduled job (daily) to create thumbnail images (chapters for movies) during library scan.  Includes large 4k library which I figure takes quite some time but i gave it 10 hours and it was stuck at 7.x% after 8 hours

This can take a long time. For a large 4k library it could take several days.

GrantWells

This can take a long time. For a large 4k library it could take several days.

If the scheduled (daily) job runs for 10 hours per day and gets to say 8-9%... Will it remember which files it finished the next time and only work on the remainder or does it start over with an incomplete run? 

If the scheduled (daily) job runs for 10 hours per day and gets to say 8-9%... Will it remember which files it finished the next time and only work on the remainder or does it start over with an incomplete run? 

@@GrantWells, anything that has already been scanned that doesn't need to be re-scanned will scan very fast. So in that sense it will remember. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

GrantWells

Thanks @@Luke

I guess it's partly the reduced power of the sheild pro and slower disk access but it seems to take almost 20 hours to scan each additional 1%.  I assume it's doing Chapter thumbnails and the 10sec scanning thumbnails?

Would be nice to have more info on which movies etc is has done etc.. where it is working and so on.

Or have the ability to scan for the chapter images separate from the fast forward 10 sec images.  I'm thinking the 10sec fast foward images are what takes so long...

@@GrantWells what i would probably suggest doing is disabling the thumbnail generation from the library scan, which you can do in the settings for each library.

Once you do that, the thumbnail generation will only be handled in it's own dedicated scheduled task which you can control separately. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

GrantWells

thanks @@Luke.  It sped up (probably after 4k content) and seemed to finish after a couple of days.  Then went into a long library scan.  I have the scheduled nightly thumbnail run at 2 am running for 7 hours and still doesn't finish.  I do seem to have chapter images everywhere though.

I have made the suggested changes to the individual media sections.  I'll see how it goes but it seems to be generally stabilizing overall.

I have 2 other issues.   It doesn't seem to show the un-aired episodes (of shows still airing) anymore (like it did on windows - kinda nice) and the graphic generated under my media (usually 4 movies or 4 shows side by side)... I have one (4k movies) where it only shows one movie... Is there a way to fix that image?