New Sonos Plugin

Luke

MartienJan

I have a Synology DS218PLUS and installed Emby on Docker (How to Install Emby on Your Synology NAS – Marius Hosting). This is okay. But then I tried to install the SONOS plug-in in the Catalogue. Again the installation is okay, but I cannot choose the SONOS device.

Plus: I see the In-Home (LAN)-access is not correct: http://172.17.0.2:8096. I think this is the problem and I made a correction in Network, but I still cannot choose SONOS.

1 hour ago, MartienJan said:

I have a Synology DS218PLUS and installed Emby on Docker (How to Install Emby on Your Synology NAS – Marius Hosting). This is okay. But then I tried to install the SONOS plug-in in the Catalogue. Again the installation is okay, but I cannot choose the SONOS device.

Plus: I see the In-Home (LAN)-access is not correct: http://172.17.0.2:8096. I think this is the problem and I made a correction in Network, but I still cannot choose SONOS.

Did you setup the docker container in host or bridge networking mode?

• 2 months later...
amplitur

Hi,

after plug-in installation the cast button correctly shows a single entry for both,  "Lutz - Sonos" and "UF - Sonos" - both are a stereo pair of speakers.

image.png.c1b81656d3ce463eab62070989f00e65.png

However, power cycling one of the pairs seems to confuse things, as now the individual speakers are shown for both pairs - even though I only power cycled "Lutz - Sonos" this also results in "UF - Sonos" being shown as individual speakers:

image.png.eff77060622e008b8fab96efe27bd04f.png

When restarting Emby server, this goes back to normal again with the stereo pairs being shown as single entries.

Power cycling our Sonos speakers is a daily occurrence, as they are automatically switched off during the night and while we are not at home.

I wonder if this can be prevented somehow?

Cheers,

Lutz

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 8:00 PM, amplitur said:

Hi,

after plug-in installation the cast button correctly shows a single entry for both,  "Lutz - Sonos" and "UF - Sonos" - both are a stereo pair of speakers.

image.png.c1b81656d3ce463eab62070989f00e65.png

However, power cycling one of the pairs seems to confuse things, as now the individual speakers are shown for both pairs - even though I only power cycled "Lutz - Sonos" this also results in "UF - Sonos" being shown as individual speakers:

image.png.eff77060622e008b8fab96efe27bd04f.png

When restarting Emby server, this goes back to normal again with the stereo pairs being shown as single entries.

Power cycling our Sonos speakers is a daily occurrence, as they are automatically switched off during the night and while we are not at home.

I wonder if this can be prevented somehow?

Cheers,

Lutz

HI, yes there's room for improvement there. We'll take a look at it. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, NitroNine said:

@Luke- Any updates on when casting will be done from the app level, not the server?

I don't have an update yet, sorry.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Masupilami

Hello,
manyThanks for the great plugin.
I have a small Sonos Roam speaker and can now play music there via Emby, really great!!!

But my favorite music that I downloaded to my iPhone can't be played, nothing happens when you press play. probably because the file is on the cell phone and the Sonos Roam has no access there.

Suggestion for improvement:

At the moment you want to play downloaded music, the link to the file should be determined by the server and sent to the Sonos speaker. Is this possible?

10 hours ago, Masupilami said:

Hello,
manyThanks for the great plugin.
I have a small Sonos Roam speaker and can now play music there via Emby, really great!!!

But my favorite music that I downloaded to my iPhone can't be played, nothing happens when you press play. probably because the file is on the cell phone and the Sonos Roam has no access there.

Suggestion for improvement:

At the moment you want to play downloaded music, the link to the file should be determined by the server and sent to the Sonos speaker. Is this possible?

Hi, casting downloaded content is not supported right now, but hopefully will be in future updates. Thanks.

Masupilami

Shouldn't it be "relatively simple" that as soon as the player/mobile app has selected a Sonos speaker via the Cast menu, the server version is used instead of the downloaded version?

I mean, surely there is a mapping between the downloaded version and the server version?

In any case, thanks for the answer👍

PrincessClevage

One of my user accounts (meant admin) can see the cast too sonos clients but for another non admin user can not see the same sonos clients to cast to. Is there some permission I need to give to the non emby admin user so they can see the sonos clients?

• 3 weeks later...
NitroNine

Does casting to Sonos not work from web browsers?  My server is on the same network as my sonos speakers.

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, NitroNine said:

Does casting to Sonos not work from web browsers?  My server is on the same network as my sonos speakers.

it does

• 2 weeks later...
adamstewiegreen

When I cast music to my Sonos from my web browser the music will play but nothing on the Emby Web Client shows that anything is happening (not even in the dashboard), meaning I have to go to my sonos speaker to stop the music, I can't see which song is playing, and I can't just skip a song - I need to actually find and choose the next song I want to play.  If I start the song on my computer and then cast it, the control pane at the bottom disappears.  Can this be fixed please so I can control my music from my computer easier.

If I start music on the browser, click the control pane so that it becomes full screen, THEN cast it to sonos it stays up and I can control my music, but that's WAY to many steps (and in the wrong order - I shouldn't have to start my music on the computer before I cast it to the sonos).

Thanks.

15 hours ago, adamstewiegreen said:

When I cast music to my Sonos from my web browser the music will play but nothing on the Emby Web Client shows that anything is happening (not even in the dashboard), meaning I have to go to my sonos speaker to stop the music, I can't see which song is playing, and I can't just skip a song - I need to actually find and choose the next song I want to play.  If I start the song on my computer and then cast it, the control pane at the bottom disappears.  Can this be fixed please so I can control my music from my computer easier.

If I start music on the browser, click the control pane so that it becomes full screen, THEN cast it to sonos it stays up and I can control my music, but that's WAY to many steps (and in the wrong order - I shouldn't have to start my music on the computer before I cast it to the sonos).

Thanks.

@adamstewiegreen

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
adamstewiegreen

embyserver.txt

I'm using Emby Server 4.9.0.5, it was also happening on 4.8.  I've been using Firefox, Chrome and the Android app (3.3.66).  If I cast to my Sonos I lose all ability to control my music from my device (the bar at the bottom of the screen that usually shows up, doesn't show up, and the admin screen doesn't show anything is playing).  Because of this I can't lower the volume and I can't stop the music from my computer/phone - I have to go to the sonos speaker and hit the play/pause button there.   I also don't have an option to skip a song or even see what song is playing.

embyserver-63844243200.txt

a286

This is exactly the same problem as mine which has been moved to the topic called 'Sonos Playback Can't be Controlled'.

I think it would be more logical to have all in the same topic.

But I may have missed something that justified this decision.

Hi, please let me know if the Sonos plugin update that went out tonight resolves the issue. Thanks.

adamstewiegreen

Issue resolved, thanks!

• Thanks 1

Masupilami

Hello,

not something big, but if I cast via sonos, no webhook is triggered?

Iam on 4.9.0.8

Can someone confirm this behavior? 

best regards

39 minutes ago, Masupilami said:

Hello,

not something big, but if I cast via sonos, no webhook is triggered?

Iam on 4.9.0.8

Can someone confirm this behavior? 

best regards

Hi there @Masupilamilet's look at a specific example:

Thanks.