Transcode FTA TV - preserve subtitles?

chemoul

Sammy

Welcome!

Emby should play wtv fine but what are the specs ov your server?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

chemoul

It’s an i5 9400 so should have enough grunt to transcode for a couple of TV’s on the fly, however I’m wondering if it won’t make more sense to permanently transcode (newly) recorded show’s to limit the amount of on the fly transcoding and save some hard disk space.

Biggest concern is preserving the subtitles.

If they are subtitles then you should be fine. If they are closed captions then we still have some work to do with those and for now I would suggest using an external tool to convert them rather then emby's convert feature.

chemoul

Thanks Luke. The terms subtitles and closed captions are used interchangeably so just want to make sure I understand where you see the difference?

I’m referring to the textual transcription of the spoken dialogue, not additional comments for the deaf and hard of hearing.

Assuming conversion works for subtitles, which video format is recommended? MP4? MKV?

pünktchen

With closed captions Luke is referring to the North American way of storing subtitles inside the video stream of live tv, with subtitles he means the European (and also Australian) way of storing subtitles as additional data stream alongside the video stream.