• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chemoul OFFLINE  

chemoul

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 04:55 PM

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

Hi, new Emby user here, migrating from Windows Media Center, please be gentle 😊.

I’m planning to record Australian free to air TV, which is a combination of 576i, 1080i, mostly MPEG2, with some HD channels using MPEG4.

I also already have a few thousand shows recorded in .wtv files from my existing Windows Media Center.

My question now is whether I should consider transcoding any of the recorded shows (both existing and new ones), in particular any that are in MPEG2 format to save some disk space and also to ensure I won’t run into any problems when streaming via the Wifi network to a couple of TV’s with Amazon Fire or Roky sticks?

It would be important that any closed captions would be preserved as part of the transcoding process and that they can be turned on/off, ie aren’t burnt into the video.

I’d be grateful to hear your opinion and advice.

#2 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2862 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 PM

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

Welcome!

Emby should play wtv fine but what are the specs ov your server?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

#3 chemoul OFFLINE  

chemoul

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

It’s an i5 9400 so should have enough grunt to transcode for a couple of TV’s on the fly, however I’m wondering if it won’t make more sense to permanently transcode (newly) recorded show’s to limit the amount of on the fly transcoding and save some hard disk space.
Biggest concern is preserving the subtitles.

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts
  • Local time: 01:55 AM

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:34 PM

If they are subtitles then you should be fine. If they are closed captions then we still have some work to do with those and for now I would suggest using an external tool to convert them rather then emby's convert feature.

#5 chemoul OFFLINE  

chemoul

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

Thanks Luke. The terms subtitles and closed captions are used interchangeably so just want to make sure I understand where you see the difference?
I’m referring to the textual transcription of the spoken dialogue, not additional comments for the deaf and hard of hearing.

Assuming conversion works for subtitles, which video format is recommended? MP4? MKV?

#6 pünktchen OFFLINE  

pünktchen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2228 posts
  • Local time: 07:55 AM

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

With closed captions Luke is referring to the North American way of storing subtitles inside the video stream of live tv, with subtitles he means the European (and also Australian) way of storing subtitles as additional data stream alongside the video stream.

#7 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts
  • Local time: 01:55 AM

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:56 PM

Short answer is if emby detects embedded subtitle streams then you'll be fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FTA, transcode, convert, mpeg2, mpeg4, closed captions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users