Tweak or Add Encoding Options?

Concept211
Go to solution Solved by Koleckai Silvestri,

Concept211

Is it possible to add or change existing encoding/transcoding parameters when streaming a video via the web UI?  I would like to try and tweak the lowest 720p option with a lower bitrate so that it can stream a little bit more reliably on my ISP's 1mb upload cap.  I looked in the server config files and can't find anywhere to change it.

Koleckai Silvestri

You can adjust this in the web client player by selecting the Gear icon in the player controls. It should remember your selection on that device. Different client Apps have similar controls as well.

Concept211

Yes, I know you can adjust it, but i'm talking about editing or adding to that selection list/menu.  Is it possible?  Is there a file where i can manually change it?

• Solution
Koleckai Silvestri

They are listed in /%appdata%/MediaBrowser-Server/System/dashboard-uiI/scripts\mediaplayer-video.js from line 662 to 698. Any changes to this file will most likely be overwritten with the next server update. I don't know what happens if you change the list. Could break the player completely if done incorrectly.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 2

Concept211

Exactly what i was looking for -- thank you!  :)

It's working great...I would suggest to the devs if they could add the following option to the list:

options.push({ name: '720p - 1.0Mbps', maxWidth: 1280, bitrate: 1000000 });
Edited by Concept211

• 4 months later...
bill the lizard

This works to add another encoding bit-rate to the web player that suits your bandwidth. I just added 1.5 Mbps because my upload is at 2 Mbps but it isn't always consistent so I will get occasional but regular buffering just for a moment if I use the 2Mbps setting. The current build that I looked at has those options on a different set of lines but it is fairly straightforward search for options.push and to add another option that suits your bandwidth in the file named by @koleckai. copy the syntax exactly as he has noted and make sure you put it in the correct if statement curly brackets for the target resolution. If you don't know what that means then you probably shouldn't be fiddling with it. It would be nice to be able to add these options through the GUI but I imagine it would be cumbersome to rewrite the player to support user modification.