Set HD source as a priority in Series Option

slidvendetta

slidvendetta

I am just getting started with Emby and I am extremely happy with the Live TV and DVR functions. I tried some searches in these forums, but I may have not had the correct search parameters, so sorry if this has been answered before.

Is there any way I can set the series options to prefer HD sources over SD for shows I have selected to source from all channels/anytime?

• Like 1

This is not currently possible but it is a good idea for the future.

Thanks.

slidvendetta

Thank you very much for the prompt response. I am hopeful you can get this implemented. The only work around I can think of is to set up recordings on each channel the shows broadcast to cover the HD and SD. The Emby team is doing some great work. Keep it going!

• 8 months later...
warrencalvert

I'd really like to see an option to prefer HD sources in scheduled recording options, please add to your to-do list!

• Like 1

I'd really like to see an option to prefer HD sources in scheduled recording options, please add to your to-do list!

It is but first we have to know what an HD source is...

The server already prefers hd internally. The potential for an option would really be for hd only.

warrencalvert

thanks for the update, that's useful to know but could you clarify what 'server prefers hd' means?  If I set a movie to record on an SD channel which is also broadcast on an HD channel will it record the HD version instead?  

Or if I have a series scheduled to record every episode will it automatically record the HD version rather than the SD version?

thanks

If I set a movie to record on an SD channel which is also broadcast on an HD channel will it record the HD version instead

No it's only for series recordings. So for example, if it's going to record season 4 episode 6 of a show, and it realizes the same episode is airing multiple times on mulitple channels, then it will prefer HD when possible.

But if you specifically schedule a single recording on an SD channel, then no, it won't do anything there.

• 2 weeks later...
warrencalvert

Hi Luke

I've just noticed that this doesnt appear to be working.  I have several TV series  scheduled where they are broadcast on SD and HD channels at the same time.  The series is set to record Any Time, Any Channel but in every case the list of upcoming scheduled recordings shows it will only record the SD version.

I've worked around it for now by scheduling it only on the HD channel but you might want to take a look at this some time.

thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Luke

I've just noticed that this doesnt appear to be working.  I have several TV series  scheduled where they are broadcast on SD and HD channels at the same time.  The series is set to record Any Time, Any Channel but in every case the list of upcoming scheduled recordings shows it will only record the SD version.

I've worked around it for now by scheduling it only on the HD channel but you might want to take a look at this some time.

thanks,

Can we please look at an example? Thanks.

warrencalvert

Of course, thanks for looking into this.

I've attached some screenshots of a show I've set to record for testing.  When I schedule a series it only seems to schedule the channel the show was originally scheduled on.  As you know, when you schedule a show it always sets it to the specific channel selected then you have to go back into settings to change it to Any channel.  After doing this it lists all the episodes on all the channels but it doesnt automatically select the HD version if there are SD and HD in the guide at the same time.

The channel logos are not very clear in the screenshots but the black ones are BBC1 SD and the red ones are BBC1 HD

thanks,

post-522480-0-64306600-1587890123_thumb.jpg

post-522480-0-28904500-1587890136_thumb.jpg

warrencalvert

Another way round this that I thought of would be to remap the channel numbers.  i.e. remove channels 1 to 5 (which are the SD channels) and change channels 101 to 105 (which are the HD channels) to 1-5.  This would solve another irritation in that live TV and the TV guide always open at channel 1 so I need to scroll down to 101 to get the HD versions.

Unfortunately it doesnt look like Emby or HDHomeRun can remap the channel numbers.  I can remove channels 1 to 5 in HDHomeRun which would make sure I'm always recording the HD channels but wouldnt help with having these at the top of the guide.

Any thoughts on this one?

thanks,

Dickydodah!

Hi, I am doing exactly this. if you make 101 to 105 favorites and then in the settings choose "Place favourite channels at the beginning" it does what you want.

warrencalvert

thanks for the suggestion.  that would do exactly what I want but its not working.  I have this setting enabled but the channels are all ordered by channel number, including the favourites.  I've disabled and reenabled this setting but the favourites are still not at the top.

I've also tried deleting the HDHomeRun tuner in emby and adding it again but no luck.

In HDHomeRun the 5 HD channels all have a yellow star - I assume this is the setting Emby is using to mark as favourite?

Have I missed something?

thanks,

horstepipe

@@Luke @@ebr

You could let the user /admin specify suffix strings take favor over others, the ones you show in version selection.

Edited by horstepipe

Dickydodah!

thanks for the suggestion.  that would do exactly what I want but its not working.  I have this setting enabled but the channels are all ordered by channel number, including the favourites.  I've disabled and reenabled this setting but the favourites are still not at the top.

I've also tried deleting the HDHomeRun tuner in emby and adding it again but no luck.

In HDHomeRun the 5 HD channels all have a yellow star - I assume this is the setting Emby is using to mark as favourite?

Have I missed something?

thanks,

You need to hide the SD channels in the HDhomeRun and add the HD channels as favorites in Emby. You might need to refresh the guide data in settings/Live TV.

warrencalvert

You need to hide the SD channels in the HDhomeRun and add the HD channels as favorites in Emby. You might need to refresh the guide data in settings/Live TV.

I thought this had worked but it only works in the web interface.  When accessing Emby from a web browser the guide works perfectly with the favourite channels listed at the top.

In Emby Theatre for Windows, if I do the same the Guide is empty - it doesnt display any channels, just a blank page.  As soon as I revert these settings in ET the guide returns.  I have checked that I have set the HD channels as favourites in ET and restarted Emby Server and run a guide refresh, but no luck.

I guess this is supported in ET since the setting is there but is it broken?

thanks,

I thought this had worked but it only works in the web interface.  When accessing Emby from a web browser the guide works perfectly with the favourite channels listed at the top.

In Emby Theatre for Windows, if I do the same the Guide is empty - it doesnt display any channels, just a blank page.  As soon as I revert these settings in ET the guide returns.  I have checked that I have set the HD channels as favourites in ET and restarted Emby Server and run a guide refresh, but no luck.

I guess this is supported in ET since the setting is there but is it broken?

thanks,

Hi.  Are you running the beta server?  If so, this is just a defect in the new development.

warrencalvert

I'm running 4.4.2.0

What version should I be on?

Is there a newer version I should install or revert to an older one?

I'm running 4.4.2.0

What version should I be on?

Is there a newer version I should install or revert to an older one?

You are fine, you are not running the beta server.  I would suggest creating a new topic in the server forum with details of your issue.

Thanks.

Dickydodah!

I have just checked ET as I don't normally use it. It worked as expected on startup but as soon as ET updated to the latest version the guide disappeared. If I deselect place favourite channels at the beginning the guide comes back but without any channel logos. I'm running 4.4.2.0 and ET is 3.0.11.

warrencalvert

Thanks for the confirmation, that's exactly the behaviour I see.  Looks like something's broken in the latest ET.  

Luke, any thoughts?

thanks,