Series recordings - Any channel, but HD only?

gleep52

gleep52

I'd like the ability to have a show record from any channel but only if it's in HD.  Currently I have to setup a series recording and specify individual channels.  I want to record reruns on some series, but don't want the SD rerun copies.  My Guide lists the shows as HD or not, so I'm guessing there's a way to add this functionality rather easily, no?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
earthtorob

I'd like to suggest something similar to that also.

I record everything OTA, so i don't have thousands of channels to choose from.  But I do have about 30 channels.  And they broadcast in about 5 different formats.  (1080i, 720p, 480i, with different aspect ratios and cropping/black bars)  It would be nice if Emby put a video resolution indicator in the file name of the recording.  Or even better have a field in the channel record that described the channel's resolution, bitrate, Pixel aspect ration, Display aspect ratio, frame rate, progressive or interlaced, and if it uses black bars.  The user could edit the info themselves and the info could be used to pass instructions to whatever transcoder the user wants to use.

Maybe this could all be done automatically.  I think most people who record OTA have so few channels that they might not mind editing the info themselves.

earthtorob

Well a little graphic in the channel guide giving the video information of the broadcast would be cool.  But the practical use of that information could be in the transcoding of the video.

For instance, in my area channel 2.1 is 720p 60 fps.  That is a pretty straight forward transcode.  But channel 2.2 is 480i.  With video like that I prefer to separate the fields and double the frame rate.  So either I inspect each video before transcoding (no automation) or I remember the video properties of every channel and set up filters for each show biased on what channel I record it from or perhaps Emby could title the video files.

My Show S04E03 480i

My Show S04E03 720p

Or put the recordings in folders based on the channel

Channel 2.1

My Show S04E03

Channel 2.2

My Show S04E03

Or make folders based on the video properties

720p recordings

480i recordings

Or is there a better way for me to have more control over how my video is transcoded?  Am I making a simple thing to complicated?

• Like 1

earthtorob

Sorry....I totally misread your question.

I use MCEBuddy for now.  So I'd like a simple way MCEBuddy can filter which video gets encoded in different ways 

It is somewhat automatic in that regard. If it is interlaced video it will be deinterlaced during the recording process.

As far as the file naming idea, yes that's not a bad idea. Want to open a feature request topic for that? Thanks !

earthtorob

As far as the file naming idea, yes that's not a bad idea. Want to open a feature request topic for that? Thanks !

Okay. 

We are using the yadif filter to handle it.

I'm used to using tools like avisynth and Virtualdub.  The results of yadif are very good.  But I've found that splitting the fields and doubling the frame rate results in a very smooth video.  Even though half of the video data is created during the encoding and the video is less accurate to the source, it still looks great.  Especially when converting old home video from a VHS/Hi8/DVD source. The extra frames also help when you run a stabilization filter.  Just my opinion anyway.  :)

Honestly I feel like a jerk asking.  For 20 years I've been using great software and I haven't written a line of code since High School.