91 replies to this topic

#1 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 136138 posts
  • Local time: 04:55 AM

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:12 AM

This open beta version adds a new custom download manager into the app in order to resolve the problems with downloading to SD cards.

Please try this out and report your feedback. If you have a problem, please make sure to attach android app log. You can learn how to obtain that here:

https://emby.media/c...ndroid-problem/

@ginjaninja

Thanks.

• nayr likes this

#2 neik OFFLINE  

neik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 761 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 AM

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:34 AM

Question:

Does this in any way affect already downloaded files when I update from .68 to .69?
If so, I would need deactivate automatic updates as I'm leaving for vacation.

#3 revengineer OFFLINE  

revengineer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

Signed up for beta channel again, uninstalled and reinstalled on Kindle Fire, and I am still on 3.0.68. Google Play lists emby under betas. Is is possible that the beta is not yet published?

#4 neik OFFLINE  

neik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 761 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 AM

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

I can't see it either, it's probably on the way up.

#5 revengineer OFFLINE  

revengineer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:11 PM

3.0.69 installed now but I see no change in behavior on Kindle Fire. Download to external storage is atuck at "Ready to transfer".

#6 drsalzman OFFLINE  

drsalzman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

Luke - Thank you for notifying me of this beta. Here are my results:

• Using Emby Android Mobile App 3.0.68 under Android 9, I downloaded a show to internal storage successfully (as always)
  • I switched my download location to external
  • I tried to download another show, but Emby Server 4.2.1.0 under Windows 10 Pro version 1903, was stuck in "Ready to Transfer"
  • I installed Emby Android Mobile App 3.0.69
  • I downloaded several more shows to external storage successfully (!!!)
  • I confirmed that the shows are in the expected locations (SD card/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/TV/...)

I've observed that the Android download manager icon and notifications no longer appear on my phone. I also observe that the Emby Android Mobile App must be in the foreground before the transfer will commence. We will probably have to adopt new procedures to download shows using 3.0.69. What is the recommended workflow to download several shows? 

#7 mediacowboy OFFLINE  

mediacowboy

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1825 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 AM
  • LocationTexas, United States

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:30 PM

Testing now. Enjoying the the progress bar. Wish it showed was the emby icon.

#8 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 136138 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

Question:

Does this in any way affect already downloaded files when I update from .68 to .69?
If so, I would need deactivate automatic updates as I'm leaving for vacation.

Should not, no.

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 136138 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

Signed up for beta channel again, uninstalled and reinstalled on Kindle Fire, and I am still on 3.0.68. Google Play lists emby under betas. Is is possible that the beta is not yet published?

It's definitely published.

#10 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 136138 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

Luke - Thank you for notifying me of this beta. Here are my results:

• Using Emby Android Mobile App 3.0.68 under Android 9, I downloaded a show to internal storage successfully (as always)
  • I switched my download location to external
  • I tried to download another show, but Emby Server 4.2.1.0 under Windows 10 Pro version 1903, was stuck in "Ready to Transfer"
  • I installed Emby Android Mobile App 3.0.69
  • I downloaded several more shows to external storage successfully (!!!)
  • I confirmed that the shows are in the expected locations (SD card/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/TV/...)

I've observed that the Android download manager icon and notifications no longer appear on my phone. I also observe that the Emby Android Mobile App must be in the foreground before the transfer will commence. We will probably have to adopt new procedures to download shows using 3.0.69. What is the recommended workflow to download several shows? 

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Can you provide an app log? In order to be allowed to run in the background, we have to show a notification. If the notification isn't there, then that would be the problem requiring you to keep the app in the foreground. So we need to find out why you're not getting the notification. Thanks.

#11 revengineer OFFLINE  

revengineer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

Report for Moto G5S: Download to external completes, by then it reports both "Download complete" and "Download failed". The file does not play, so it seems to indeed have failed. Download made previously with .68 played fine.

The first time I tried, I accidentally disconnected from wifi network on which emby is running. At that point the app crashed. When I restarted the emby app, the download did not continue. I had to remove the download and re-add it.

Upon play, the app goes into landscape mode but never switches back to portrait even after I back out of movie play.

So far, no improvement for Kindle Fire (reported above) and a step back for Moto G5S.

EDIT: I check the file system and the download is 2.25 GB but should be 3.5 GB. I transferred the original file without transcoding.

EDIT2: I sent the logs via PM.

Edited by revengineer, 17 August 2019 - 06:28 PM.

#12 revengineer OFFLINE  

revengineer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

It's definitely published.

It updated this afternoon, this is resolved.

#13 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 136138 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:28 PM

Report for Moto G5S: Download to external completes, by then it reports both "Download complete" and "Download failed". The file does not play, so it seems to indeed have failed. Download made previously with .68 played fine.

The first time I tried, I accidentally disconnected from wifi network on which emby is running. At that point the app crashed. When I restarted the emby app, the download did not continue. I had to remove the download and re-add it.

Upon play, the app goes into landscape mode but never switches back to portrait even after I back out of movie play.

So far, no improvement for Kindle Fire (reported above) and a step back for Moto G5S.

EDIT: I check the file system and the download is 2.25 GB but should be 3.5 GB. I transferred the original file without transcoding.

On the moto if you use a file browser, are the files there?

#14 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 136138 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 06:30 PM

It updated this afternoon, this is resolved.

Were any of the logs you sent from the Kindle?

#15 drsalzman OFFLINE  

drsalzman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Can you provide an app log? In order to be allowed to run in the background, we have to show a notification. If the notification isn't there, then that would be the problem requiring you to keep the app in the foreground. So we need to find out why you're not getting the notification. Thanks.

Here are the four files I found in Android/data/com.mb.android/files/logs

Attached Files

#16 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 136138 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:27 PM

3.0.70 is headed up to the store with fixes based on what we've seen so far. Please try that and report your experience. Thanks guys.

#17 drsalzman OFFLINE  

drsalzman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:38 PM

Here are the four files I found in Android/data/com.mb.android/files/logs

Luke, Given your hint regarding notifications, I turned on notifications for the Emby Mobile App, which wasn't required in the past. (I keep notifications off by default for all apps, except for the few I actually want notifications from.) I now see notifications for the new download process when it works, but I have trouble getting the process to start. In my latest test, I can't seem to get the download to start at all. Here are the log files:

EDIT: While attaching the log files, the transfer completed. Perhaps there is some sort of (long) delay?

Attached Files

Edited by drsalzman, 17 August 2019 - 10:40 PM.

#18 revengineer OFFLINE  

revengineer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

On the moto if you use a file browser, are the files there?

As I wrote, the file was there but incomplete and it would not play in VLC. This may be related to the large file size. I tried smaller (<2GB) videos and they downloaded completed. They all played in VLC but none of them would play in the emby app.

I also found that TV shows do not seem to show up in list of downloaded item. They do show up when I push the cog icon next the the download section and I can successfully remove the TV shows.

#19 revengineer OFFLINE  

revengineer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:17 AM

Were any of the logs you sent from the Kindle?

No those where all for the Moto G5S. I will send logs for the Kindle Fire next via PM.

#20 revengineer OFFLINE  

revengineer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

3.0.70 is headed up to the store with fixes based on what we've seen so far. Please try that and report your experience. Thanks guys.

There seems to be a delay again. I cannot yet install .70 in the playstore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users