Re-think desktop app

jyc860923

jyc860923

My experience with Emby on Windows desktop.

UWP Emby Theater:

1. Doesn't support client side rendering of graphical subtitles formats hence forces transcoding;

2. Playback of HEVC 8 bit encoded files doesn't start on my Windows 10 PC running Skylake processor with Intel HD Graphics that supports HEVC 8 bit hardware accelerated decoding;

3. I've yet to test it but I'm afraid it might not have full codec support, I'm not sure if this is due to any limitations applied to UWP applications.

Emby Theater downloaded from website:

1. Playback of HEVC 8 bit encoded files doesn't start on my Windows 10 PC running Intel Skylake i3-6098p processor with Intel HD510 Graphics that supports HEVC 8 bit hardware accelerated decoding, have to set using external player in Emby Theater; however plays H.264 files fine;

2. When tested on two legacy AMD integrated graphics (pre GCN arch) Windows 10 machines, playback control overlay doesn't show;

3. Works perfectly on my Coffee Lake powered Windows 10 machine with Nvidia graphics that supports HEVC 10 bit hardware accelerated decoding.

Web app: codec/container support vary from browser to browser, and doesn't support graphical subtitle formats, although this is expected behavior.

Kodi with Embycon plugin: doesn't list custom video library at all i.e. "downloads", "home video", etc.

So, the overall experience on the desktop is not quite what I expected. And no, I'm not providing server logs, client logs, file samples since these issues are more than what I feel like dealing with, I'm writing this so that maybe the developers can re-think the desktop app design.

Edited by jyc860923

jyc860923

What library type were you using?

EmbyCon should show "Home videos & photos" type libraries.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll try again. Other than that I have no complain with Embycon.

Deathsquirrel

So, the overall experience on the desktop is not quite what I expected. And no, I'm not providing server logs, client logs, file samples since these issues are more than what I feel like dealing with, I'm writing this so that maybe the developers can re-think the desktop app design.

These aren't design issues.  These are playback problems or platform limitations.  For example, you note that the windows store app doesn't do graphical subs without transcoding.  That's correct.  That platform doesn't support that format which is why transcoding exists.  Your issue is with Microsoft there.

Other things you post can likely be addressed by working with the support of the devs and community.

Nothing I noted in your list of issues belongs on the feature enhancement forum but if you're interested in actually having your issues solved, I'm sure the admins can move it.

jyc860923

These aren't design issues.  These are playback problems or platform limitations.  For example, you note that the windows store app doesn't do graphical subs without transcoding.  That's correct.  That platform doesn't support that format which is why transcoding exists.  Your issue is with Microsoft there.

Other things you post can likely be addressed by working with the support of the devs and community.

Nothing I noted in your list of issues belongs on the feature enhancement forum but if you're interested in actually having your issues solved, I'm sure the admins can move it.

Hi thanks for the replay. I'm happy to have this thread moved, I didn't know where these issues belong so I posted here.

My only wish is for the desktop app to work properly since the web app and UWP app are limited by their platform.