Trailers showing as Extras items after 4.1.0.26 Upgrade

mrtwopoints

Spaceboy

Sure it should be just like the other guys.

Extras
It’s possible to make your movie library richer by adding “Extras” to it. These are things like trailers, deleted scenes, behind the scenes features, and more.
the key word there is “like”. People may choose to add additional or alternative trailers to their extras folder. That doesn’t change the fact that there should always be a separately identifiable trailer in its own section for each movie
  • Like 1

CBers

Sure it should be just like the other guys.

Extras
It’s possible to make your movie library richer by adding “Extras” to it. These are things like trailers, deleted scenes, behind the scenes features, and more.

Doesn't mean they're right though :)

Happy2Play

Adding multiple sections is not right either.

So just call it extras/trailers  :lol: 

Edited by Happy2Play

serpi

I would say, it's really simple:

If you want your trailers in the extras section, then put them into an extras folder.

If you want your trailers as trailers, put them into a trailers folder (or name it movie-trailer.ext, which I think, is pretty stupid).

I have all my movies into their own folders.

I have my trailers in the subfolder trailer.

Also, AFAIR, Emby always supported more than one trailer.

If you have more trailers, just put them all into the trailers folders (you can name them whatever you want).

If you press the trailer button of a series/movie, they all get played, one after another.

I really don't know, why this trailer behaviour had been changed (and, thank god, changed back), as it was totally right, the way it always has been.

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 1

Spaceboy

So just call it extras/trailers :lol:

this is the problem. We aren’t asking for anything to be added. We are asking for what was there previously to be restored
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

I would say, it's really simple:

If you want your trailers in the extras section, then put them into an extras folder.

If you want your trailers as trailers, put them into a trailers folder (or name it movie-trailer.ext, which I think, is pretty stupid).

I have all my movies into their own folders.

I have my trailers in the subfolder trailer.

Also, AFAIR, Emby always supported more than one trailer.

If you have more trailers, just put them all into the trailers folders (you can name them whatever you want).

If you press the trailer button of a series/movie, they all get played, one after another.

I really don't know, why this trailer behaviour had been changed (and, thank god, changed back), as it was totally right, the way it always has been.

Ciao, Alfred

man speaks the truth. If you don’t want multiple sections then put your trailers in the extras folder [emoji3]
  • Like 1

So just call it extras/trailers  :lol:

Why? Trailers have a button sir. The button is easier to get to since trailers belong next to the play button. Do extras belong next to the play button as a button? No. They deserve a row. 

See here why trailers are different. We need bumpers in Emby too along with trailers for the full package.

I cannot fathom how you believe trailers and extras are the same? Trailers are used as bumpers before and after other movies at theaters to advertise these to a captive audience. Extras are published after the fact onto bluray or dvd and contain spoilers/goofs/commentary/etc not meant as advertisement for anything. It is just cutting room floor stuff. Trailers are not cutting room floor.

There needs to be a distinct separation on how these are treated. The "other guys" made a mistake. They always do what they want. They don't listen to the userbase. They just do what they want and it is their way or the highway! So to use them as any example of how something should be done is like looking at North Korea to update our domestic policy. That would be crazy. Why is there even a comparison to how they do anything? Who cares how they operate? They do. We aren't crazy. Stop doing what they do.

Here it is your media your way. Our media Our way. My media My way. However you want to put it. We need to remember this mantra when comparing features against the other guys. We are different. We are choosing to be different. We can choose to be different. We do not want to copy bad decisions.

We should work together to solve these problems. Which is what has occured in this thread. This is why I <3 Emby. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

It is still my opinion that trailer have the same values as all the additional items the movies or series have and the fall under the same Category.  It is pointless the create different sections for all the additional media.  Sure if every app/client had a button that opened this information then great, but they don't.  This information should be selectable and not a play all button.  But I guess I am in the minority of this discussion and the change has already been reverted so all the discussion here is mute.

Trailers in there own context are trailers, but when you put the trailer for a the movies together it is extra information for that movie.

Edited by Happy2Play

What we're going to do is have a trailers section when there's more than one section.

CBers

It is still my opinion

Again, your opinion, but everyone else has the opposite opinion :rolleyes:

What we're going to do is have a trailers section when there's more than one section.

Can you explain that again please.

skidmarks

The one thing i am getting from reading this thread is the differences between the apps (because of the hardware limitations or for other reasons).  There is a DMZ zone that app coders work within.  Utilizing said freedom and flexibility to create and optimize the best end user experience for said platform. 

My two main apps, roku and android tv, heard suggestions from end users OR just realized that trailers or multiple trailers needed to be addressed and did so (in a logical manner that was acceptable to the end users).  Because i don't and wont ever see a need for more than one trailer, I never even realized the work they already put into addressing this issue!  That's the best kind of feature...  something that isn't even obvious unless the need arises and its already been implemented.  I would expect that every app already had a solution in place for how they would handle trailers.

My take on trailers vs. extras:

A trailer is a promotional tool.  One that can be used generically before any movie (rating specific).  Hence why we have Cinema Mode. Yes it is for a specific movie but can be used before any movie.

Extras for the most part are movie specific.  I am not going to want to see deleted scenes of apocalypse now before or after watching the little mermaid.  Extras only add additional content for the movie they are created for.

I also understand the theory that trailers should be extras.  They are for a specific movie.  It is logical (for house keeping) to store the trailer with the movie.  But i don't have, and i bet a lot of others don't have, many movies with extras.  But do have a trailer in the extra folder.

A single trailer sitting by itself in the extras display row is redundant and just taking up real estate. 

At the end of the day it didn't matter to me how this ended up.  I would have trained myself to ignore that one trailer sitting all by itself on its own row. But believe reverting back is the correct call on this.

Happy2Play

The one thing i am getting from reading this thread is the differences between the apps (because of the hardware limitations or for other reasons).  There is a DMZ zone that app coders work within.  Utilizing said freedom and flexibility to create and optimize the best end user experience for said platform. 

My two main apps, roku and android tv, heard suggestions from end users OR just realized that trailers or multiple trailers needed to be addressed and did so (in a logical manner that was acceptable to the end users).  Because i don't and wont ever see a need for more than one trailer, I never even realized the work they already put into addressing this issue!  That's the best kind of feature...  something that isn't even obvious unless the need arises and its already been implemented.  I would expect that every app already had a solution in place for how they would handle trailers.

My take on trailers vs. extras:

A trailer is a promotional tool.  One that can be used generically before any movie (rating specific).  Hence why we have Cinema Mode. Yes it is for a specific movie but can be used before any movie.

Extras for the most part are movie specific.  I am not going to want to see deleted scenes of apocalypse now before or after watching the little mermaid.  Extras only add additional content for the movie they are created for.

I also understand the theory that trailers should be extras.  They are for a specific movie.  It is logical (for house keeping) to store the trailer with the movie.  But i don't have, and i bet a lot of others don't have, many movies with extras.  But do have a trailer in the extra folder.

A single trailer sitting by itself in the extras display row is redundant and just taking up real estate. 

At the end of the day it didn't matter to me how this ended up.  I would have trained myself to ignore that one trailer sitting all by itself on its own row. But believe reverting back is the correct call on this.

From a one trailer standpoint yes, but for multiple trailers no.  But options are still client/app specific.

Edited by Happy2Play

Going forward, we're planning on following the model of Android TV on this one.  If your item has multiple trailers then you will get a trailers row.  You won't get it if there is just one.

• Like 1

CBers

Going forward, we're planning on following the model of Android TV on this one. If your item has multiple trailers then you will get a trailers row. You won't get it if there is just one.

As long as it's not in the Extras section, that's great.

Thanks.

Happy2Play

Sigh nothing like scrolling even further down. But to each their own.

CBers

Sigh nothing like scrolling even further down. But to each their own.

No scrolling down in the ATV app :)

Happy2Play

But I don't care about ATV app as it does not apply to me. :P 

CBers

As you can see, the ATV app has a TRAILER button.

5ccde5da07499_Emby_20190504_201458.png

But I don't care about ATV app as it does not apply to me. :P

:rolleyes:

You will once all of the clients become like the ATV app :)

Happy2Play

I don't see the web client ever looking like that.  I guess it does if you remove the Poster.

But in the end there is no way that every app will be identical.

Edited by Happy2Play