Trailers showing as Extras items after 4.1.0.26 Upgrade

mrtwopoints

CBers

Everyone has there own opinion and you can never satisfy everyone.

Which is why user options are essential.

• Like 1

TylerV76

... I have never used a app/client that presented then separately of there would have been a complaint about then displayed that way a long time ago.

To me they all extra item should fall under one category, not multiple.

Youve never used Plex? Embys main competitor?

635b891e9039c733f76044125db22872.jpg

• Like 1

Youve never used Plex? Embys main competitor?

635b891e9039c733f76044125db22872.jpg

Looks like they are inconsistent because he also showed a screenshot earlier from a different app of theirs where they do blend them.

CBers

Looks like they are inconsistent because he also showed a screenshot earlier from a different app of theirs where they do blend them.

Irrespective of how Plex does it, no-one wants it in Emby, so please remove Trailers as an Extra.

Why is it so difficult for some people to understand a request and action it :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Why is there both a trailer button where you can access these so much easier and now you see them in special features too?

Doing this now makes it require an extra click to needlessly pass the "special features" row to get to any rows under it if you have no other special features but trailers. Now this causes the "More Like" and other such to fall below this and to get to it means an extra click. Intuitive means less clicks. It buries the "More Like" feature row under this redundancy. Don't take this path. Let me explain.

You know what another synonym for redundant is?

Unnecessary

Can we get trailers under the trailer button and not in the special features so as to fix this? Thanks.

Let me explain. A friend says lets watch something like.. hmmm. Tron... You say Okay.. In the "More like this" row it is presented intuitively inside Tron just like it should be. Perfect. But to get there the execution is slowed because of that extra button press. What would've taken 2 presses down(once inside tron to get to "more like this") now takes 3. The only time it is okay to add an extra button press would be if the information/row/button wasn't already accessible anywhere else on that screen. Trailers are. We know how to get to them. It isn't worth being like them (the other guys) to dumb down our interface to their extra-button-clicks required everywhere interfaces. Keep these minimal please. Thanks again. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

CBers

Why is there both a trailer button where you can access these so much easier and now you see them in special features too?

Doing this now makes it require an extra click to needlessly pass the "special features" row to get to any rows under it if you have no other special features but trailers. Now this causes the "More Like" and other such to fall below this and to get to it means an extra click. Intuitive means less clicks. It buries the "More Like" feature row under this redundancy. Can we get trailers under the trailer button and not in the special features so as to fix this? Thanks.

It has been reverted in the latest Stable release, but not beta.

Revert trailers being displayed under extras

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/tag/4.1.1.0

Can you "un-lump" it then please :)

or add more lumps...

Edited by speechles

It has been reverted in the latest Stable release, but not beta.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/tag/4.1.1.0

So it is backwards? O_o.. stable first then beta. I need to install stable. Confusion...

I don't get it? Why would it still be in beta and not in stable? Is stable going to eventually get this. but no you say it got reverted. So stable is ahead in that regard?

Is it because now on Beta it is our DB that is now utterly.. fubar'd with that change.. and now later we gotta un-fubar'd them out with a beta update? Curious. Why else would stable get something before the beta. It makes me shiver. I want less clicks not trailers in my special features row.. lol. I thought beta was where you went to get things corrected faster. How does this happen?

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

Well isn't it as simple as rolling back committed code?  But I still don't see the big deal a few people made about this.  I can understand the app unification issue but don't own any android devices I would never see the issue they are.

Well isn't it as simple as rolling back committed code?  But I still don't see the big deal a few people made about this.  I can understand the app unification issue but don't own any android devices I would never see the issue they are.

It affects Roku. It affects everything. This isn't just restricted to Android. What made you think it was? This is something the server is doing that affects all the apps.

No not if that code relies on database changes that get reverted too. Then along with revert the DB changes which require a "port" function to migrate users back to the old way in their DB. So it isn't as easy as just go back to the old code if DB changes happened too. Who knows.

This is space and we merely design/make the space crafts. Luke designs the space our space crafts our allowed to fly in. In effect he himself is the big bang theory.. Oh wait.. His avatar is of Sheldon. Big Bang Theory. Did I just make an entire full circle reference to how this all works? Yes. Is this coincidence? Unlikely. Everything happens for a reason.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

I have not seen any change on Roku for this unless It is at the bottom of some screen I never see.  

Since this change was 4.1.0.26 and was reverted in 4.1.1.0.  I am not seeing any issues so it all this change should be irrelevant.

Edited by Happy2Play

I have not seen any change on Roku for this unless It is at the bottom of some screen I never see.  

Since this change was 4.1.0.26 and was reverted in 4.1.1.0.  I am not seeing any issues so it all this change should be irrelevant.

Version 4.2.0.1 beta

A picture is worth a thousand words. So here is two thousand and some change.  

nFKh2Ja.jpg

hlNgkYz.jpg

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

Well the Andriod has Extras and Trailer the Roku does not, it has one section Special Feature like the Web Client just named different.  Personally think it belongs there, but a few people complained and now it is gone.  I would assume a new beta will be up today or tomorrow.

Well the Andriod has Extras and Trailer the Roku does not, it has one section Special Feature like the Web Client just named different.  Personally think it belongs there, but a few people complained and now it is gone.  I would assume a new beta will be up today or tomorrow.

Wait. Android TV? Or Android Android?

Extra and Trailer rows? Or extra row with a trailer button? Roku of course is trailer button with an extras(special features) row. Multiple trailers handled under the same button. If we need users to be able to select the trailer when multiples are there a list is present they choose. Why two rows? That just adds more clicks of buttons if using a remote. A TV interface cannot handle extra rows of redundant. You either need a button for trailers or a row. Not both or it smells of couldn't figure out which was best. Did people say "Man I hate the trailer button being so convenient I wish they were hidden in rows"?. Cuz if so, tell that guy or girl or group of guys/girls to immediately pick up their club or respective clubs and head back to their caves..lol 

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

Wait. Android TV? Or Android Android?

Extra and Trailer rows? Or extra row with a trailer button? Roku of course is trailer button with an extras(special features) row. Multiple trailers handled under the same button. If we need users to be able to select the trailer when multiples are there a list is present they choose. Why two rows? That just adds more clicks of buttons if using a remote. A TV interface cannot handle extra rows of redundant. You either need a button for trailers or a row. Not both or it smells of couldn't figure out which was best. Did people say "Man I hate the trailer button being so convenient I wish they were hidden in rows"?. Cuz if so, tell that guy or girl or group of guys/girls to immediately pick up their club or respective clubs and head back to their caves..lol 

Post 30 has images.

Post 30 has images.

Okay still doesn't explain the Roku behavior.

Also here is a way to fix it. Keep the trailer button. Trailers only ever appear when click that button. Now if there are multiple trailers when a user clicks this button they are prompted with a dialog to select which one to play or play-all/shuffle-all.

Why is there a need to put trailers with extras or figure out a new display mechanism for these? Chuck em under the trailer button neatly. If someone clicks that button and have more than one trailer for that item then they will see the dialog and pick which trailer they want. Or they pick the buttons that say "Play all" or "Shuffle all" at the bottom or sides or top or whereever those buttons are if they prefer to watch all these trailers. It would be easier to make a dialog in the apps than it would be to make all the apps adopt another row?

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

Happy2Play

Well everyone has their own opinion, to me everything besides the movies is extra/special/other/miscellaneous or what ever category you want to call them.  They can be all lumped into one category, there does not need to be multiple sections for every type.

CBers

Well everyone has their own opinion, to me everything besides the movies is extra/special/other/miscellaneous or what ever category you want to call them.  They can be all lumped into one category, there does not need to be multiple sections for every type.

Seems everyone here, other than you, says that trailers are not extras.

It's been reverted in the current Stable release and I'm sure it'll be reverted in the next Beta release.

Just go with the flow :)

Happy2Play

Well not every app/client actually call the section they appeared in Extras as you can see from the Roku client.  So is it all in the name the everyone is complaining about?  To me it is pointless to have more then one section to display all the miscellaneous items people keep with their media.

Spaceboy

Well everyone has their own opinion, to me everything besides the movies is extra/special/other/miscellaneous or what ever category you want to call them. They can be all lumped into one category, there does not need to be multiple sections for every type.

you keep saying that but for the whole time we have been using emby’s premier app, android tv, that has not been the case
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

Well not every app/client actually call the section they appeared in Extras as you can see from the Roku client. So is it all in the name the everyone is complaining about? To me it is pointless to have more then one section to display all the

miscellaneous items people keep with their media.

no it’s the mixing together of trailers, which are one specific thing, and extras, which is your catch all everything else category
  • Like 1

CBers

Well not every app/client actually call the section they appeared in Extras as you can see from the Roku client.

Not yet, but as you have seen, the Roku app has now followed the Android TV app, so it will be the same across all of the apps soon enough.

Happy2Play

Sure it should be just like the other guys.

Extras
It’s possible to make your movie library richer by adding “Extras” to it. These are things like trailers, deleted scenes, behind the scenes features, and more.