X265 has stopped casting to Chromecast 1st Gen

interman

interman

I have read as many of the related topics I could find but the answers did not help. 

A short time ago, all of my X265 encoded videos stopped casting to Chromecast. After selecting the Chromecast, and pressing play, it appears to start, then goes back to "Ready to Cast". I have tried Android app, iOS app, and browser app. I tried reducing the quality in the app settings (Playback>>Chromecast Streaming Quality) to no avail. I have tried several movies and the only ones that cannot play are X265. 

These videos were playing fine until recently (was there an upgrade to the server?). Have others experienced this?

Emby Server: Version 4.0.3.0

Chromecast, 1st Generation
Chromecast firmware: 1.32.144770
Emby for Chromecast 2.1.0
Emby for Android Mobile 3.0.42

I do not mind upgrading my Chromecast, but was hoping we could troubleshoot and understand the issue, as it just started happening recently. 

I have attached the video specs of one of the movies I have been trying to play (tried 10+ this morning to troubleshoot). 

I have also attached the transcoding log of one of the failures. I did edit the file for "THE NAME WAS CHANGED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT".

Any help?

post-197087-0-80428700-1554817492_thumb.jpg

ffmpeg-transcode-8009045a-52ca-43d3-bb7f-ffc476c922e3_1.txt

I believe this should be resolved for the next release of the server. For now you could try turning off hardware transcoding in server transcoding settings. thanks.

• 4 months later...
jmarsh88

Hi, 

Has this been fixed?

I've reviewed the release notes from the last few updates but can't see anything which relates to this specifically.

Thanks

interman

Luke, 

thank you for all the hard work. I was about to check on this, test the new software, and then report back. 

I assume that we can re-enable hardware trancoding according to the guide?

Thanks

Don

interman

Luke et al:

I thought I would make you laugh. Hardware acceleration enabled. All video files play. CPU is faster than GPU so I need to upgrade my system. Wife pissed. 

HAHAHA. 

Don

Believe it or not that does happen sometimes. The purpose of hwa is not necessarily to go faster than cpu, but that rather to offload the work away from your CPU so that you can do more things in parallel. Thanks for the feedback.

interman

Hello all: An update to the group.

I spent a few hours researching and purchased an GeForce 1650 card for my server. Wow, it works extremely well, even on 4K UHD videos with subtitles. So if you are looking for a card to do the hard work, here you go. Luke and team, thanks. HWA is amazing and works really well. 

Luke: I did find something interesting. I was playing "escape from NY" in UHD. When I played form the beginning, it used HWA to transcode, but if I skipped ahead, it switched to software. I tried to make it "not swtich" by stopping the video, rebooting the server, etc. and it kept happeneing. I tried a few other 4k UHD with mixed results. Some stayed in HWA, some went to software when skipping ahead. It might be that the video was played before without HWA and it remembers, not sure. I am going to put together a matrix of all videos to see. 

Not calling this a bug and do not need an answer, just thought you should know. 

Don

Don

interman

5d62f50c1de40_Capture.jpg5d62f51f1b1c6_Capture2.jpg

So all I did was 37:08 and it switched. First I thought it was CC related, but do not have CC enabled for this video. 

@intermaninterman - It might be a bug in the CUVID parser for HEVC. 

You say the problem occurs with several files, not just that single one, right?